Author Topic: John Woo to make Metroid Movie  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: John Woo to make Metroid Movie
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2004, 11:45:51 PM »
Paycheck was damn awesome. Everyone should go see that movie. It was at least bit more believable than his other action movies in terms of stunts, despite the fact that it's based in the future.
Face/Off was pretty cool, and Mission Impossible 2 was a great escape from reality. The stunts may seem a little outlandish, but I don't really care.

One thing I'm wondering is how he's gonna put in his little dove trademark in, seeing as it's in space and all

I'm looking forward to this movie more now that it's under the guidance of John Woo. I have more faith in him making a decent movie, and you should too, seeing as how the previous guys were from an American Pie background.
While Metroid DOES have a lot of inspiration from Alien, getting Ridley Scott would make it too damn obvious, plus the fact is that he's making Alien 5 anyway. Having it too similar to Alien (in terms of the creepy atmosphere and eerie silences) is not too good. I know a space action movie is overdone as well, but I'm interested as to how Woo will make it. And if there's going to be info about it at E3, Woo may have asked Miyamoto to help out too.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2004, 11:47:31 PM »
MI2 was a disgrace to it's namesake. MI has always been a spy triller with a dash of action. But Johny pretty much took it out and shot it.

The Jame Bond series has the same flaw. Jame Bond never has been a straight action movie until now. Now we got Koreans trying to be europeans, a car chase to no where, CnC syle space based weapons. Very un james Bond.

Anybody can over produce with a big enough budget. All it involves is shoving in as much SFX in to the movie as one can produce.  
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline miji

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:John Woo to make Metroid Movie
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2004, 06:54:38 AM »
I think a metroid movie is a great idea.  It shouldn't suck that bad if he stays true to the basic idea of the video games.  I liked resident evil, but the problem was they just took another zombie movie and reused the resident evil names, (umbrella Co., T-virus, etc.) .  Other than some recycled names, the movie had absolutely nothing to do with the video games at all.  And isn't the point of an action movie to get away from reality?  When I go to see a good action movie I want to say, "Wow, wouldn't it be cool if people could really do that?"  What's the point in paying five bucks to see someone do things the kid down the street could do with some boards and a good helmet?  
       "he was also supposed to make a cg ninja turtle movie that never came out....."
If you go to Mirages' website www.ninjaturtles.com, I'm pretty sure they said it was on the backburner, but not cancelled.  Just delayed.  (they have screenshots^_^)

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2004, 12:25:37 PM »
Just 'cause he's made some great movies (like The Killer, as you say), doesn't necessarily make him capable of Metroid.  That's one movie, and some other movie is, well, another one altogether.  I haven't seen much of The Killer...I have seen some of it, but not much...but I fail to see how that has any relation to Metroid.

I think that those who say that it's in good hands are overly optimistic.  And those who say that all video game-based movies are doomed to suck are overly pessimistic.  Obviously, the final verdict will be when and if the movie actually comes out and we all see it...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2004, 12:28:45 PM »
Ninty needs to sitting over his shoulder at all times...They should realize that...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2004, 03:20:24 PM »
If they don't keep him on a short leash this film might be total pap.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2004, 11:10:55 PM »
i still kinda wanna right a script for a movie based off a game..but i would probably get hatemail....i wish some anime directors would write the story...but of course nintendo would have to keep on it to keep the story plausable.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2004, 06:41:29 AM »
This is good news, if the movie sticks to the actual Metroid universe and has good Nintendo input this could be a huge PR victory for Nintendo.

The movie will come out around the release of the N5, so have one of the launch games be metroid; Release the movie at the same time and watch sales rocket.

Plus they could plug the rest of the lineup during the prieviews.