Author Topic: Nintendo Teams with UK Developer  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Nintendo Teams with UK Developer
« on: March 25, 2004, 04:34:41 PM »
Kuju Entertainment to create exclusive title on GameCube, but no details revealed.

NINTENDO AND KUJU ANNOUNCE GAME-DEVELOPMENT AGREEMENT

United Kingdom-Based Developer to Create Title for Nintendo GameCube

REDMOND, Wash., March 24, 2004 – Leading video game company Nintendo Co., Ltd., announces that Kuju, one of Europe's top independent game developers, has agreed to a game-development project for Nintendo GameCubeâ„¢. Each year, hundreds of titles for the best-selling Nintendo GameCube system extend Nintendo's vast game library and continue the tradition of delivering a rich, diverse mix of quality video games.  

The title is being developed in Kuju's Action division in the London studio.  

"We are very pleased to have entered into an agreement with Nintendo for this innovative new game," says Ian Baverstock, Kuju's business development director. "Nintendo has an unrivaled reputation within the industry for the quality of their titles, and we're proud to be working directly with them. We'll share further details of the game in due course."

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Teams with UK Developer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 04:44:54 PM »
Interesting...Ninty must see something in them...Of course, I think it's much better for them to be working with smaller, upcoming development teams than larger ones...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 04:57:57 PM »
Maybe they're making a GameCube version of Advance Wars...

GameCube Wars.

They must have some talent if Nintendo went after them, and it makes me happy that Nintendo actually acknowledge that development teams in Europe exist. This is good news.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 10:39:20 PM »
Man Nintendo seems to be really giving 3rd Parties with a spotty past a chance to succeed.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Metroid masked

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Teams with UK Developer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 11:53:57 PM »
what other games as kuji made??

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 05:18:12 AM »
Reign of Fire, WH40k: Fire Warrior and Fireblade.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 03:15:23 PM »
I think Ian pointed out in another thread that Kuju doesn't exactly have that great of a track record, but then again neither does N-Space, and Geist looks pretty awesome. I doubt either Kuju or N-Space really have the weight (or funds) to make their own game yet. I'm really glad that Nintendo is funding a lot of smaller companies- these guys could have the next run away hit no one was expecting, and were really only waiting for a means of making it. I think larger companies, even Nintendo to an extent, or more concerned with staying alive and keeping the money flowing than doing whatever they want. It's a kind of fear that if they try something new their fanbase could desert them, leaving them broke with nowhere to go. On the other hand, littler companies are looking for their big break, looking for that one game that will get them that steady cash flow. I think if more smaller companies were supported we'd get a lot more of the innovation and originality this industry so desperately needs.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 07:36:10 PM »
Ahahahaha, Reign of Fire is one of the crappiest games on PS2. Oh well, thumbs up to Nintendo in seeing something in them. The more exclusive games, the better.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 05:40:58 PM »
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 01:10:33 AM »
Taken from Kuju's "Jobs" section

Software Engineer (Ref 10)   
We currently require a Software Engineer to work on gameplay programming for a high profile original title being developed for a large Japanese publisher. This position requires experience in writing AI systems, Path finding, ground and air unit vehicle dynamics. The successful candidate will already have proven experience and track record in these areas as well as being highly motivated, self managing team player.

I wonder what this is...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 01:45:32 AM »
Definitely not Castlevania unless it's Battlefield: Castlevania.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 03:37:39 AM »
And I really doubt Kuju has the manpower to be working on many projects at once...

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 04:12:08 AM »
Battlefield 1842, Road to Transelvania. (to build off KDR's joke there)

Maybe they're making a GameCube version of Advance Wars...

GameCube Wars.

this position requires experience in writing AI systems, Path finding, ground and air unit vehicle dynamics.

HMMM....
OUT OF DATE.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 07:54:52 AM »
Dynamics more likely happen in RTS games, the X Wars series isn't known for its complex physics.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 11:04:22 AM »
But that's because we haven't seen a 3d version yet... ^_^

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 11:20:26 AM »
Bill said pretty much exactly what I was going to say. To the best of my knowledge, the Wars series has always been in 2D and never made the jump into that third dimension where realistic physics would actually play a role in the game.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 11:46:08 AM »
Even in 3D why would the Wars series have to worry about realistic physics?  It's a turn based game.  If I want to shoot someone with a missle I make my missile launcher attack the square that person is standing in on the grid.  If I can aim at them it will hit them no matter.  So I don't really see a need for realistic physics.  It's not like we have to line up missiles correctly to hit the target.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 11:59:17 AM »
They could still animate the attacks, even though you don't personally control ever aspect of them. THAT requires realistic physics.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2004, 06:56:04 PM »
You don't need physics for animations. Usually you have MAX or Maya for that. A turnbased game usually just throws one formula at the situation and shows the outcome. Even the 2d games could have had more physics than they do have, but they don't NEED them.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 02:15:09 AM »

You don't need physics for animations. Usually you have MAX or Maya for that. A turnbased game usually just throws one formula at the situation and shows the outcome. Even the 2d games could have had more physics than they do have, but they don't NEED them.

Oh- well nevermind then.