Author Topic: A Mario and Sonic adventure...  (Read 6813 times)

Offline random_hero

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
A Mario and Sonic adventure...
« on: March 24, 2004, 03:27:35 AM »
This idea i've had since Sega anounced their partnership with Nintendo has got to be done. Seriously. I know we are past  the video games icons now, i mean in 92,93 mario and sonic were like the heroes of the entire gaming world, but now its like...the games rather than the characters. A game that Sonic Team and Nintendo teaming up on with the two characters would seriously rock am i right?

Rings and Coins, my freinds, Rings and Coins.  
Survivor: The Complete First Season DVD - May 11 2004

Survivor fan and absolutly positivly fkn 100% proud of it.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
RE:A Mario and Sonic adventure...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 05:57:44 AM »

they're completely different characters in completely different games and completely different universes.

I personally think it would be cheasy and not work. While they are huge gaming icons, they really don't fit together. Besides, before sonic team goes on to bigger and better things, I would like them to put out at least on authentically GOOD 3d sonic game.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: A Mario and Sonic adventure...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 06:03:31 AM »
I can't think of a good way to combine the two franchises and keep the individual gameplay intact.  However they could always just make something different like an RPG with both characters in it.  I think a Kingdom Hearts style game that combines the Sega and Nintendo universes could be great.  And no matter how good or bad the game is a Mario/Sonic game would sell HUGE.  Even if it sucks Nintendo should probably go for it.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:09:45 AM »
The Mario/ Sonic RPG/Adventure/Platformer has been rumored for a long time.  It would be easy to combine the two franchises.  Make the game based on worlds where you access platforming levels with multiple paths that can be taken advantage of by either Mario, Luigi, Sonic, or Knuckles as far as running and jumping.  Use the traditional Mario Bros powerups in conjunction with alternate affects on Sonic and Knuckles.  I would suggest Yoshi be Mario's way of getting through Sonic's paths which may require speed.  I would assume you level up by beating platforming levels so there should be a lot of them.  The worlds could be accessed through warp pipes between Mushroom Kingdom, Sonic's world, and our world.  Maybe even Donkey Kong could be hidden as a character that can climb in the way that Knuckles does.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 10:12:36 AM »
You can't really combine those two gaming universes effectively.  Why not?  It'd be like putting Zelda and Final Fantasy or Halo and Metroid Prime together.  They're similar games when you look at them at first, but you can clearly see the huge differences between them.  Sonic is fast, Mario is slow.  Sonic has linear levels, Mario has free-roaming.  Sonic is "cool", Mario is just...well, Mario.  Combining these two just wouldn't feel right at all.    

Offline Takumi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 01:56:05 PM »
I don't see it happeneing, but I don't agree with saying the game wouldn't work because the characters/games are so different.  It all depends on what type of game it would be, and how good the developing team would be.  Look at Dream Mix TV on the GC.  It's a melee fighter with the strangest mix of characters - Simon Belmont, Optimus Prime, Bomberman, etc.  

On a side note, there was an unlicensed game from Asia that came out on the Famciom (Japanese NES) called Somari.  Basically, it was Mario with Sonic's shoes and in Sonic's levels.  It was a really bad game, but an interesting concept.  I think I still have it lying around in a box somewhere with my Street Fighter III Famicom cart

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 07:30:24 PM »
Sear: Sonic had multiple paths, Mario just one. Unless we're talking about those 3d incarnations.

My friend talked about a coding competition, with possible goals like "combine games that should never be combined" (like Ikaruga + Half-Life, Tetris + Final Fantasy, etc), almost sounds like it... (another possible goal was "develop a game that would work on the Nintendo DS")

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 09:31:21 PM »
I think Nintendo should make a awsome new breath taking MARIO game!
been waiting since 96 for another one
who cares about mario vs sonic or them together, SEGA want profits and this would end up like wario world for cube..sell on name sake but be a bad game

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 01:51:46 AM »
megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening, megaton, never happening.

but seriously, how about Sega and Nintendo make a game togeather, well more specifically Sonic Team and EAD, much akin to F-Zero GX but with more input from Nintendo, oh and make it original, no sequels :rad:  
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 01:52:40 AM »
But Wario World wasn't a bad game? <3 Treasure.
The only way I can see a Mario + Sonic game working is if they were to take a Knuckles Chaotix approach, and have the two chained together. Sonic could run around, and Mario could eat pie as he gets dragged around. It'd be the best game the Atari Lynx has ever seen.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 02:56:07 AM »
The only way the Sega and Nintendo universes could collide while still making sense would be in a Smash Bros or similar type game.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 03:16:14 AM »
The thing with Sonic is that is just mainly speed and jumping.  Mario is many things.  Unless you tone down and up some of their powers and that isn't really cool.  Like above I agree with a Smash Bros game or a Kingdom Hearts style kind of game.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 06:04:31 AM »
"I think Nintendo should make a awsome new breath taking MARIO game! been waiting since 96 for another one"

Yeah I guess I dreamed that whole Super Mario Sunshine thing.  And don't give me that "it's not the true sequel to Mario 64" BS.

Offline random_hero

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 07:23:02 PM »
So...if Mario sunshine didnt come out...where did my 100 bucks go?
Survivor: The Complete First Season DVD - May 11 2004

Survivor fan and absolutly positivly fkn 100% proud of it.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 04:23:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"I think Nintendo should make a awsome new breath taking MARIO game! been waiting since 96 for another one"

Yeah I guess I dreamed that whole Super Mario Sunshine thing.  And don't give me that "it's not the true sequel to Mario 64" BS.

your telling me you played mario sunshine for more then 20 hours?
I played Mario 64 for atleast 100hours in its life, I said "breath taking" Meaning it had a wow factor and that you couldnt put it down. only thing that made me go Wow was how empty my pocket was after I bought this the day it came out

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 04:29:53 PM »
Honestly, why would a collaboration have to make any sense at all? I'd buy the game simply for the experience, and wouldn't really care how the two worlds combined.

your telling me you played mario sunshine for more then 20 hours?
I played Mario 64 for atleast 100hours in its life, I said "breath taking" Meaning it had a wow factor and that you couldnt put it down. only thing that made me go Wow was how empty my pocket was after I bought this the day it came out

The only reason Sunshine didn't have that wow factor was because you played SM64 first, and SM64 was really the first full 3D console game. It didn't even have to be good to have that wow factor, although I'm glad Nintendo still decided to make it one of the best goddamned games ever.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Raijin Z

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2004, 04:51:59 PM »
I'm sure if you can find Optimus Prime and Bomberman in the same game, anything can happen.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2004, 03:02:52 AM »
Yeah, but thats a Smash Bros. like game

Now Super Smash Bros. N Vs. S would solve all the problems =P
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2004, 10:37:34 AM »
I don't see this ever happening.  However, unless I'm mistaken, I remember hearing that Miyamoto-san and Naka-san have teamed up for some secret project.  E3 can't come any faster.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2004, 01:41:41 PM »
I could really see a Nintendo V.S. Sega Melee kinda game but thats it.

It could be a really good game too.

It would be hilaious to see one of the super monkey ball monkies included!

I mean both companies have a long history, i wonder how many trophies would there be!