Author Topic: Rumor: Nintendo DS Specs?  (Read 13191 times)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Rumor: Nintendo DS Specs?
« on: March 10, 2004, 07:57:17 PM »
I'm filling in for newsbot since his contract doesn't cover Rumor posts. Read Louie's Article. http://www.planetgamecube.com/rumors.cfm?action=profile&id=28

Discuss!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Rumor: Nintendo DS Specs?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 08:21:51 PM »
When everyone else was talking about online during the panel discussion at DICE, Perrin mentioned wireless as an alternative that Nintendo is focusing on.  I have a feeling that this is the start of a very significant new strategy on Nintendo's part.    
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 08:42:29 PM »
The Turbo Touch 360.  My, that thing was a godsend.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline RealmRPGer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 09:00:28 PM »
It's like the swiss army knife of pocket gaming. With the inclusion of a touchpad, I forsee PDA applications on the DS...Oh yes...And using the touchpad feature for the bottom screen as a keyboard, I also forsee wireless instant messaging and communication in portable online games. Yummy.

Oh, and what is a microphone used for again? Oh, right, talking. And what is wireless communication good for again? Oh yes, now I remember, TALKING! So...um...Nintendo has included a cell phone afterall? If it's not included, 50 bucks says someone will make a "game" that turns it into a cell phone.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Rumor: Nintendo DS Specs?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 09:21:19 PM »

The Turbo Touch 360. My, that thing was a godsend.

Jonny and StrikerObi had never heard of them  :mad:  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 10:16:31 PM »
DS: Come here PSP!

-PSP walks over to DS-

DS: Let me tell you a little joke.

PSP: What?

DS: What did the 5 fingers say to the face?

PSP: Huh...?

DS: ::SLAP!!!:: -as DS slaps PSP across the face-  

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 10:35:34 PM »
I'm of the opinion that it can display Two-hundred fifty-two thousand, one hundred and forty-four colors simultaniously, not "262 and 144."  Also note the familiar 4:3 screen size.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 10:38:04 PM »
IGN also confirms GBA compatability through its development sources
Link

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 11:01:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm right on that color number: see that 6:6:6 label?  That means six bits for each color channel.

2^6 * 2^6 * 2^6 = 262144!  Huzzah!
Nintendo World Report

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 11:10:07 PM »
I poked Louie with my plunger and got him to update the colors spec.  262 colors...that's just absurd!
Nintendo World Report

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 12:23:31 AM »
Hmm, I just became much more excited about this product.  I just better be able to see my screen indoors.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 01:14:24 AM »
To help with the inevitable comparisons, here's the PSP's specs that were released by Sony a while ago.

GameSpot

I'm intrigued by the IGN comment about the DS's second CPU being there in part for GBA-compatibility. And we already know that the DS is supposed to use some new, bigger, carts.

I'm thinking this lets the entire classic GameBoy library live on in the DS line, through to the future (if it survives) (and I mean "the future", not "the DS" ), so the GBA2 (which I expect is still coming) will be free to explore non-cart based technologies.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 02:12:26 AM »
I do believe the sub-processor is the same as the GBA unit. Which would suggest backward compatability.

Cart size, they would only be logically bigger, not in phyiscal size if they intend to maintain backward compatability. Also, given the power in the DS, it is more than posible that GBC games be supported through software, with reduced compatabilty as an expected result.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline xanrastafari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 03:27:39 AM »
Is it possible that.... the second screen is a TOUCH screen?  This could be very interesting.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 04:04:42 AM »
Mustn't...let...juicy...rumours...increase...anticipation!
Must...stop...talking...like...Spiderman...from...70s...cartoon...
Must...concentrate!...Got to...Stop...Mysterio!
Hope it's all true and then some.  Still don't think this is going to stop the PSP, but if these specs were real, and if it beats or meets the PSP release date, then Sony is facing a much tougher battle.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 04:43:01 AM »
nintendo would be commiting suicide in my opinion if the ds doesnt play gba games.

the specs look interesting though, hopefully they're real.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2004, 04:58:53 AM »
Two Louie posts in so much time???!  HUZZAH!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2004, 06:23:38 AM »
This touch panel stuff is confusing me a bit.  IGN is saying that one of the screens is touch sensitive but PGC is just saying there's a touch panel which could very well be something different entirely.  Is IGN correct or are they just coming to conclusions?

Touch screen does seem somewhat likely though I assure you it will not be this dumb idea people have been having about it being designed as a customizable control pad.  If anything it will be used for menus or any non-gaming features (if there are any).  If the second screen is touch sensitive I really doubt it will be used for action controls, particularly when we already have other buttons.

I hope the X & Y buttons are added.  Is there any good reason NOT to include them?  People have complained about the lack of those buttons on the GBA from the get-go.  It doesn't really make any sense for Nintendo to blatantly ignore such a valid complaint from their fans.

I predict the microphone wil be used for voice chat in wireless games.  Either that or Seaman and Hey You! Pikachu are launch titles.

"I'm thinking this lets the entire classic GameBoy library live on in the DS line, through to the future (if it survives) (and I mean 'the future' not 'the DS'  ), so the GBA2 (which I expect is still coming) will be free to explore non-cart based technologies."

That's a pretty good idea and it would make sense if Nintendo went that route.  Though I think the whole concept of having two portables is dumb anyway so I imagine that if the DS has GBA support it's because Nintendo has come to their senses and realize that people aren't going to embrace two incompatible portables made by the same company.  I would like to know who these "development sources" that IGN got this information from are.  Are these guys just speculating based on the hardware or are they working on DS games?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2004, 06:52:53 AM »
Japanese is a highly inaccurate language. That "touch panel" could mean "touchscreen" or it could mean something else (especially technical terms never treanslate well). Either way, you can't use both the controls and a touchscreen, so...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2004, 07:11:07 AM »

I predict the microphone wil be used for voice chat in wireless games. Either that or Seaman and Hey You! Pikachu are launch titles.
i can see it now ... i'm sitting on a bus, looking at what appears to be a pda (to the untrained eye) saying "speak to me seaman", "do you have a boyfriend?".
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2004, 08:29:47 AM »
The more i read about htis, the more i probably really want one... Some of this stuff is pretty cool especially the possibility of pushing 3D graphics.  That alone is awesome... Its no longer simply a GBA with 2 screens.  I really want to see this in person actually.... Adding WIFI had to be a given now that the NGage and the PSP have it...  The Microphone idea is also interesting, sort of Net play but on the street.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2004, 10:05:05 AM »
I just have a quick question. Doesn't the ARM7 in  the GBA run at 16mhz? According to the rumored specs, the ARM9 in the DS runs at 67mhz and the ARM7 runs at 33mhz. Thats double the speed it runs at in the GBA or am I incorrect?

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2004, 10:22:51 AM »
GBA compatibility? Im sold

It will work nicely as a secondary GBA for playing games like FFCC
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2004, 10:39:21 AM »
i know that the arm7 in the gba runs at 16mhz.  however, i'm not sure if 33mhz is twice as fast as 16mhz  (i.e. i'm not sure if it's a linear equation).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »
If this does include PDA capabilties I hope that they use the most recent version of Palm OS, I can't stand the pocketPC OS. I hope it has a lot of functionality and I hope its really simple to navigate from different functions, like one touch and I go from PDA mode to Game Mode. Then straight to phone mode, and one touch and im listening to mp3's.