Author Topic: Well...Rare's still got the graphical touch; graphical suave, if you will.  (Read 3195 times)

Offline TooShort

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
  Those are very beautiful GBA graphics that Rare is doing with Sabre Wulf............. If the gameplay is as good as Rare was capable of producing in years past -> Nintendo might regret selling them. What do you think, Sabre Wulf - beautiful flop, or second coming of Rare?
"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy c

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Well...Rare's still got the graphical touch; graphical suave, if you will.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 09:18:08 AM »
Considering the quality of GbtG... :\

Even Grunty's Revenge fell below my Banjo-loving expectations...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 09:34:50 AM »

Those are very beautiful GBA graphics that Rare is doing with Sabre Wulf
Really?  It looks like a rehash of Banjo's engine, which honestly didn't impress me a whole lot.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
RE:Well...Rare's still got the graphical touch; graphical suave, if you will.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 10:35:33 AM »
What happened to Rare on Xbox, anyway?  

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 04:13:39 PM »
Microsoft is tucking them away it seems. I'll admit to not actively checking Xbox news, but there's no word on Kameo and Conker Live and Uncut recently. Perfect Dark Zero has been put off until 2k6, probably a launch title for their next system.

How many more Rare GBA games left?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline thegloaming

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 10:37:37 PM »
Well, while Conker hasn't been given a release date yet, both Rare's and Xbox's official sites are announcing Kameo as a 2004 release...

As for the graphics on Sabre Wulf... I'm not that impressed either... I believe the guys can do better than just rehashing an already average engine...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Well...Rare's still got the graphical touch; graphical suave, if you will.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 08:58:41 AM »
It also reminds me of Banjo and Donkey Kong Country(some of the jungle levels) graphic engine
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline WackerJr

• View Profile
I thought the graphics in Sabrewulf (& Banjo-Kazooie) were good and above average. They managed to fit in a variety of special effects as well.

The remaining GBA games that Rare have announced are:
~ Banjo Pilot
~ It's Mr.Pants

Neither of which have been seen yet, although it seems that Banjo Pilot is what used to be Diddy Kong Pilot, while no-one really knows what "It's Mr. Pants" is going to be. Mr. Pants seems to have an almost cult following among Rare fans so it'll be fun to see what this turns out like!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
This thread is a little old, so perhaps I should ignore it, yet, I can't....

I've been following Rare on Xbox.  Kameo and Conker are supposed to be out this year, and MS has even released new artwork for each recently.  I think they'll make it on time, however, Rare seems to be having trouble on Xbox.  They aren't as fast as MS would like, and Rare's games don't really fit in the Xbox mould.  Ironically, that's why Microsoft acquired Rare in the first place, to expand it's territory, but it doesn't seem to be working.

As for Sabre Wulf, I think it looks really good.  I don't know, people seem to have gone against the DKC "pre-rendered" style of graphics in recent years, but I still think DKC looks beautiful, and this game looks beautiful too...to me.  Early reviews of the game from Europe are quite positive.  I think the biggest compliment from the reviews is that the game is NOT like all the other GBA platformers out there.  I'll probably buy it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
Sabre Wulf is actually pretty good. Plus the price tag is $19.99

I should pick it up when I get the chance..
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
I'm definitely going to buy it.  Maybe even tonight, although I'd kind of like to beat Mario vs. DK first...

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
Meh, Rares graphics arent that amazing.  Donkey Kong Country for the GBA for example doesnt look nearly as nice as the SNES version, even on that small screen the characters and stuff look... like they were stretched out or something.  

Rare aint what it used to be....  
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
Ha ha ha, look at me, thinking I'd buy the game two freakin' months ago.  I finally got a copy this week.  Tres awesome!

The graphics, since they're the subject of this thread, are very good but not amazing.  Some of the backgrounds are pretty dull, and a few character designs look really weird.  On the other hand, everything is very nicely animated and the game is full of the little touches that Rare does really well. For example, in tree filled areas, birds will fly around and alight on the branches above Sabre Man.

But graphics are not what matters anyway.  The gameplay is awesome!  I appreciate Rare's recent attempts to bring simplicity back to gaming...I'm playing Sabre Wulf and Tales of Symphonia at the same time, and it's a relief to go from the overwhelming  complexity of Tales to the old-school simplicity of Sabre Wulf.  You can jump, and you can place helpful monsters on the screen, that is just about all.  I think there's a way to take pictures too, but essentially, it's extremely simple, yet fun and deep.

If you enjoy some puzzling with your platformers, I really recommend it.

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
Sabre Wulf sounds pretty good actually.  There arent enough puzzle elements to platformers if you ask me.

I always wanted to pick up the Banjo Kazooie game for the GBA but I always end up getting something else.  Anyone else played it?
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine