Author Topic: The goodness that is Metroid Zero Mission  (Read 3435 times)

Offline CreedDBZ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The goodness that is Metroid Zero Mission
« on: February 11, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »
So I've been playing MZM for the past two days and I must say it kicks some serious booty!!!  Everything about the game is awesome.  It feels like the awesomeness that was Super Metroid, but you can fully feel that it is the original classic.  I also love some of the little tie ins to Metroid Prime.  Very nice work.  I know its been getting knocked for being short, but come on people.  Every minute of this game rocks.  Play it, love it, rejoice in the awesomeness that is MZM!!!
The Hunter is among us ...

Offline tomjh

• View Profile
RE:The goodness that is Metroid Zero Mission
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 05:28:33 AM »
Yes, I totally agree.  In fact, you could say that the Metroid series in general is the greatest ever as far as quality per game goes.  MZM, Super, Prime, Fusion, and the M2 on gameboy were all great games, and Super Metroid won best game ever in EGM a couple years ago.  But now, people can't even agree whether it's better than Prime.  If you're arguing about which game from one series is the best game ever, then you know that it is a great series.
See you next mission!

Offline CreedDBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 05:17:58 PM »
Definitely,  I must say that Metroid and Zelda are probably the two series in the history of video games that have yet to really put out a bad title.  M2 can be debated, but at the time of its release it was on killer game.  Hopefully Prime 2 continues the tradition, and even though the video was only 30 seconds long, I'm not worried at all.  It's going to be a long wait till the end of the year for MP2 and RE4!!!

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 08:50:12 AM »
I love zero missions, its the 3rd best game in the series for me (behind prime and super, which both rank up within my top 10 games of all time)
I'm a gigantic metroid fan, so that might have a little something to do with it.

i went through it on normal first.. 3:30 78%
then i managed to beat it on hard last night 100% 4:15
On hard, each energy tank is only +50 max energy, every missile pack is +2 missiles, super missile/powerbombs are +1 each, you do less damage and you still take double... makes a few areas of the game amazingly difficult.... but sadly, not enough.

some of those endings are going to be insane to get (under 15%? O_O)
but, i'll try for them anyway, cause i know i'll play through this game probably over 20 times without a doubt.  (I've been through fusion far more than i should have)

i do have some issues with the game, but not many.. the large portion of them revolve around how i feel the world map is FAR too *cramped* i prefered the (seemingly)huge, sprawling maps of metroid, metroid 2, and Super Metroid, perhaps its just becuase this game seems to have every single room with a purpose that it seems cramped.  Also there are far less super missiles and powerbombs to pick up, so 100% though still difficult, wasn't nearly as long and exploration based as it should have been.

Anyway, R&D1 has definately got the feel of what a metroid should be.   This metroid controls the best out of every metroid game ever, and if they could apply some of the newer controls along with a few more tweaks in level design, they could be well on their way of making a metroid game superior to Super Metroid....

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
RE: The goodness that is Metroid Zero Mission
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 09:59:29 AM »
My biggest complaint is that it was just way too damn short. I beat it in two days for crying out loud. Also the last area in the game felt a little tacked on and was anti-climatic. I also didn't really see the point of it besides trying to extend the length of the game. Some people are trying to say it connects the game with Metroid Prime but I really don't see how it does that. The new gameplay element was pretty fun though.

Besides that I really enjoyed the game. It was a huge improvement over Fusion and its linearity. I can't believe the amount of sequence breaking in this game. It's like R&D1 made this game for sequence breakers.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline CreedDBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 01:36:21 PM »
I just finished it up too.  What a great game.  It's nice to see that parts of it even help explain super metroid.  personally, no metroid game can ever be long enough, but i found this one to be just fine.  it didn't bother me at all.  besides most of us ran through super metroid in about the same amount of time as MZM.  i think my first run through super took around 5 and  a half hours, and now its down to around 2.  I think im gonna go start playing MZM again, love this game!!!

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 04:53:34 PM »
I passed it in one day, clear time of somewhere around 3:15 with 71% items. I have to say that I am exceptionally happy with this game. I was greatly upset when Zebes was destroyed in SM, and I wished that I would one day be able to go back to Zebes for a new adventure. Nintendo has given me my wish, and I couldn't be happier. I couldn't believe what happened after I nuked Mother Brain. I just wished the Grappling Beam would've made it in, but that's alright, ziplines are even cooler Now if they could tie the two together, that would make moving around even crazier

This game defenitely delivers, and more. I can't wait until the next game
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 04:15:16 PM »
i just wanted to say that the puzzle right after getting the varia suit is simply amazing.  (i won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't gotten there yet.)  for the first ten minutes i thought i had someone skipped ahead by mistake and thought i had screwed myself by getting trapped in an area i couldn't get out of.  this is the way all games should be.  kudos nintendo.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »
my copy is supposed to come in the mail wednesday or thursday(traded some SNES games for it with someone)

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004, 06:54:17 PM »
I just bought Fusion today.  Zero Mission was there, but I decided to buy and beat Fusion before I got that one.  Soon, though. . . soon. . .
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 04:43:58 AM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
i just wanted to say that the puzzle right after getting the varia suit is simply amazing.  (i won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't gotten there yet.)  for the first ten minutes i thought i had someone skipped ahead by mistake and thought i had screwed myself by getting trapped in an area i couldn't get out of.  this is the way all games should be.  kudos nintendo.

hehe, i generally get early varia suit.  Its very difficult.. imagine trying to do every single one of those jumps.. using infinite bomb jumps, without grip or high jump.. etc.

i love this game.

oh, check out http://www.metroid2002.com for some videos of it, i believe someone is working on a 100% < 1 hour at the moment... i'll ask next chance i have...
They also have some amazing videos for every other metroid game, the type of speed runs that make you cry.
Its filled with a lot of very useful info, if you want to see how i got early varia, or how to get just about early *anything* (Like fighting ridley before kraid, great fun!) you can just look there.  Some of the things they've showed me have completely changed how i played metroid games...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 11:14:42 AM »
Fusion is getting progressively more awesome.  Zero Mission is definitely next on my list. . . especially since my next Gamecube game, Killer 7, is a few months away, and I may not even get that one.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline bonecollector156

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 11:59:31 AM »
It is a great game. I've beaten it a couple times over, but not 100% completely (highest was about 62%). It is short, but I'm going to play through it many more times, more thoroughly and I'll still enjoy it.
Nintendo World Forums Staff Member
Reviewer, Moderator and Senator