Author Topic: Everybody Go Surfin', Surfin' GBA  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Everybody Go Surfin', Surfin' GBA
« on: February 09, 2004, 11:14:46 PM »
Nintendo Australia and Rip Curl team up to bring a limited edition Game Boy Advance SP that is truly Australian.

ANNOUNCING RIP CURL GAME BOY ADVANCE SP

Melbourne, Australia, 10 February 2004 – Nintendo Australia Ltd. and Rip Curl Pty Ltd. announce a branding partnership incorporating a Special Edition Rip Curl Game Boy Advance™ SP and sponsorship of the 2004 Rip Curl Pro.

“Rip Curl is stoked to have Nintendo on board as major sponsors of the 2004 Rip Curl Pro. Ringing “the Bell” is the single most sought after prize on the ASP's World Championship Tour and the eyes of grommets the world over are focused on the contest and those in the water ripping it up,” said Neil Ridgway, Global Marketing Chairman for Rip Curl International. “It makes perfect sense then that we extend this affiliation onto the Rip Curl Special Edition Game Boy Advance SP. The kids who love the event will love the game system, and the kids who love that will in turn love the event even more. It’s an on brand, on target promotion and we look forward to the start of a great association. I’m not real sure about how it will effect productivity though, half the staff are fighting over the office Game Boy as I speak!”

The Special Edition Rip Curl Game Boy Advance SP will be available at all major Game Boy Advance retailers as well as being on display in Rip Curl and Surf Dive ‘N’ Ski stores nationwide.

“Nintendo Australia is thrilled to be able to bring together two major lifestyle brands in Rip Curl and Game Boy”, said Rose Lappin, Sales and Marketing Director, Nintendo Australia. “This product signifies the broad appeal of the Game Boy brand. As a proud major sponsor of the 2004 Rip Curl Pro we look forward to seeing Australian surfers playing Game Boy when the surf is flat, and Game Boy players Australia wide aspiring to take to the waves”.

Click here for pictures of the system.

It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
RE: Everybody Go Surfin', Surfin' GBA
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 11:45:10 PM »
Yeah, it might help Nintendo with sales and maybe make them appear cooler to the mainstream public.

But why the GBA SP?  It is the GC that has been selling poorly, not the GBA SP.  It would have been better to make a limited edition GC instead.

Offline Patch

• View Profile
RE:Everybody Go Surfin', Surfin' GBA
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 12:30:10 AM »
This isn't really anything new... Nintendo had a partnership with Tommy Hilfigger a few years back, with the GBColor I think.

Actually, it feels a little more like a half arsed attempt to bring back their 'cool' image. Maybe if they poured the money spent in partnering with Rip Curl into advertising, they might not be in such a dire position down here.  
Ex-Editor at GameBiz!
Ex-Editor of Xbox AU!
Freelance writer for-hire; self-proclaimed sexologist.

"...Do not fold, spindl

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Everybody Go Surfin', Surfin' GBA
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 07:46:57 AM »
This sounds like a direct result from that questionare email they sent out about a month or so ago.  One of the questions asked who our top five surf brands were.  Nice to see that they are taking the information seriously.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
RE: Everybody Go Surfin', Surfin' GBA
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 11:23:02 PM »
Yeah, I just wasn't expecting the result to look so similar to dogshit.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.