Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!  (Read 39289 times)

Offline SuperCube

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2004, 09:09:09 AM »
All of this could very well be done with split-screen action. Why spend an extra (I'm hypothesizing here) 20-70 dollars on something that could have already been inserted into the game? And from what I've read, it seems that it'd just be an advantage to sports titles and not other games, such as FPSs or a Mario game. This just seems like a gimicky way for Nintendo to get more money. Just like that e-reader hardware. I don't have a GBA myself but IMO, it seems like a money waster. I'm going to wait until I get some media of this thing before I make more guesses.  
"I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."

- A. J. Liebling (1904-1963)

Offline chlupe

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2004, 09:15:41 AM »
Um, there's a little thing called screen real estate which means if you do a split screen, you'll be squished into a tiny corner or half of a screen which is ALREADY small considering we're talking about a portable. So if you're saying that we should just stick to the regular GBA and split the screen... *no.* If you're saying they should just get one big screen, well I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. People are hypothesizing one ARM processor controls one screen, so imagine what advantages this will have over one big screen.

I'm still disappointed though. Mainly for this whole "third pillar" thing and whether or not this is a smart business move (dammit I actually own stock. I'm losing $. my own fault for buying though.)
"I have FURY!"
http://trigames.net Version 2.0, accepting reader contributions

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2004, 09:18:39 AM »
All we have to do now is wait for sony and Microsoft to make something somewhat similar (aka IDENTICAL) and hear casual gamers talk about how innovative sony and microsoft are...
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline babaloulou

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2004, 09:24:28 AM »
 ------
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:25:39 PM by babaloulou »
I'm sorry momma/I didn't mean to make you mad/But tonight, I'm crying in the closet.

Offline GameTavern

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2004, 09:50:58 AM »
http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7608&page=2

is this picture real I can't tell.  if you look, both screens look like they can flip up on the other side.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2004, 11:28:20 AM »

Originally posted by: GameTavern
http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7608&page=2

is this picture real I can't tell.  if you look, both screens look like they can flip up on the other side.

If you mean this picture: http://mysite.verizon.net/res7wbe4/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dsboy.jpg

Then god no, just look at his finger, you can see the rough edges on it like the device he is holding was cut into via Photoshop.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline babaloulou

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2004, 11:33:22 AM »
 ------
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:25:09 PM by babaloulou »
I'm sorry momma/I didn't mean to make you mad/But tonight, I'm crying in the closet.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2004, 12:12:36 PM »
Like wow that's so cool!!!!11  It's teh real!11

Just like the super secret NDS logo I found!!!11
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
RE: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2004, 01:49:31 PM »
"The Q was put out by Panasonic and its already been canned. I think that gets rid of that thought. And how does the Gameboy Player take away from being a Games only machine? And when was the last time you heard the argument that someone went ps2 cause it can play games? People are realizing how cheap and better dvd players are, they aren't worried about that anymore. "

I wasn't citing either example as evidence to suggest that Nintendo is going to move away from their games oriented mentality. Simply, I'm suggesting that Nintendo is now more willing to give in to consumer demand. Whether that means dvd capability or other things on any future machine--I really don't care. (Though there probably ARE some people who do.) I like them for their focus on games. But to compete more aggressively with Sony and Microsoft, they may have to do things they don't really fully believe in.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2004, 02:24:25 PM »
Bah.

The only thing good about this is that I have very low expectations,  so if it really does turn out well, it will have double the flavor.

-______-
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2004, 04:04:18 PM »
Hey, i just had a pretty cool idea for two screens, but I have a feeling the system won't be powerful enough for this.

I for one found one of the most annoying parts of prime was switching between visors properly.  It'd be sweet if we got a prime game and we could physically see two visors simultaneously.  Yeah...that would rock.  =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2004, 04:17:35 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I really think Nintendo put alot of hard work and thought into this new product of theirs.  Infact I think that if you saw it, you too would think that they really have tried to covered all angles, no matter how you view it.

Take a look!!

EDIT: punctuation  

Offline Outlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2004, 12:09:53 AM »
I made a quick design of Nintendo DS too, utilizing elements from both GBA SP and SNES controller (for you retro freaks ) .. Check it out below, comments appreciated:

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/villepiia/misc/ninds.gif

Offline JB

• The Grandfather of All Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2004, 12:24:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Outlaw
I made a quick design of Nintendo DS too, utilizing elements from both GBA SP and SNES controller (for you retro freaks ) .. Check it out below, comments appreciated:

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/villepiia/misc/ninds.gif

That looks pretty cool! Send it over to Nintendo quick!
AC Name:Jan
Town:Zooropa

Offline idiot

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2004, 05:53:17 AM »
I did a really bad mockup for the other page, I do think it will look something like this only with more flush screens.

gbds

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2004, 05:56:41 AM »
i had two game ideas i just wanted to share really quick.

(1)  a real-time strategy game (much like starcraft).  the main screen would show your main base or the bulk of your attacking army and the second screen could be for scout troops, outposts, strategically placed cameras surrounding your base, etc.

(2)  a starfox (or rogue squadron) game where the top screen is your view from the cockpit and the bottom screen is your control panel/radar.  for the radar, i'm picturing a 3d vector drawing of your view from the cockpit--sort of like the original starfox for the snes.  it would make it easier to pick out enemies' movement or ships in the distance and help immerse you in the game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Olpus

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2004, 11:15:03 AM »
In my humble opinion, there isn't any game that can't be done using a single bigger screen instead of two small screens side by side...
Nintendo: the best videogame and playing cards company in the world.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2004, 03:59:43 PM »
here is another mockup from Nintendojo

its similar to one of the mock-ups

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2004, 04:37:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Matrix
Well, using my mad photoshop skillz and a little creativity, I have predicted EXACTLY what Nintendo's new console will look like...

http://members.shaw.ca/lordmatrix/nds.jpg

That was actually the first image that popped into my head when i read about this.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2004, 05:08:40 PM »
ok, i know this is a bit off topic, but can someone give me substantial evidence that the PSP will be over 200 bucks? someone over at megagames (a hot bed for idiots) keeps debating that that it will compete with current gba price, and i just find that rediculous. i guess its on topic because it has to do with DS competition...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2004, 06:42:41 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has posted this, according to Cube Europe: Nintendo will have two or three in-house titles ready for the launch of the Nintendo DS. The first will be called 'Buzz' and is being worked on by Miyamoto.

The development kits will be given to developers around May, probably shortly after E3. The Nintendo DS will be launched at a retailing price of 20,000 Yen.

Offline babaloulou

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2004, 08:25:52 PM »
 ------
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:25:07 PM by babaloulou »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2004, 12:32:39 AM »
It's 150 Euros, not much more than a GBASP.

Cost of PSP
250 British Pound. That's 450 US Dollars, about the cost of the XBox at launch.

So, Miyamoto's generating, errr..., making Buzz for the DS?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2004, 05:59:14 PM »
I found this info in another forum, and I also think someone kinda thought of this some # of pages ago (I'm too lazy to look)

But it is an intersting concept that would make a little more sense to me(no matter how virtual boy like)

Evil_Cloud wrote:
Quote:

The GMR article reveals that Nintendo has in fact been in talks with Sharp for the potential use of their 3D display technology in a future Nintendo handheld. Obviously, this doesn't mean that the DS is that handheld, but there is another clue that lends credence to the idea.

Sharp has explained in the past how two TFT LCD screens can work in conjunction to create a 3D view. According to Iam Matthew, 3D Solutions Business Development Manager at Sharp Systems of America, "Sharp's TFT 3D LCD technology works on the principle of displaying left and right eye views that are separated so that the left eye sees only the left eye image, and the right eye sees only the right eye image."  

Sharp's explanation (w/ pictures!)

it all sounds interesting, and I can't wait to see it in action, if this is what they meant by two screen vertically (one above[ontop] of the other)  

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2004, 01:00:00 AM »
I did! How bad-ass would a handheld 3D system (without the socially crippling goggles) be? I'd buy one tommorow, along with every other gamer worth his salt. GBA2 3D? Let's hope so!