Author Topic: new nintendo console(not the gamecube or gba successor)  (Read 8147 times)

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
new nintendo console(not the gamecube or gba successor)
« on: January 01, 2004, 11:31:44 AM »
according to the-magicbox.com....."The Mainichi newspaper reported that Nintendo president Saturo Iwata intends to launch a new console system by the end of 2004, which is neither the successor of GameCube nor GameBoy Advance, the new system will have a new direction, and it will coexist with the successor of GameCube and GameBoy Advance in future. The new machine is said to have wireless data communication via radio."

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

do you think this is true, and what do you think this means?
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
RE: new nintendo console(not the gamecube or gba successor)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 11:43:45 AM »
"wireless data communication via radio"  Sounds like the WaveBird if you ask me.  I find it hard to believe that Nintendo will release 3 systems to compete against each other.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 11:56:23 AM »
yea maybe...the magic box is known to have erroneous stuff in their news section. usually it is pretty reliable though....maybe someone else knows somehting.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
RE:new nintendo console(not the gamecube or gba successor)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 12:47:36 PM »
This was brought up a couple of days ago over at Zelda Universe, and I wrote a big article on it.  I'd copy and paste it over, but I don't have access to the site right now for some reason.  I'll post my thoughts when I do.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 07:17:05 PM »

whoa, i just had a thought that probably wouldn't work but...whoa

what if...

well, in another forum, someone was talking about a customizable controler, where you can design it yourself, moving the buttons around to your desires and such. And I thought, that'd be way cool but impossible.

But what if it IS a customizable controler? Only, its wireless too! And all of the parts, they click in together to whichever way you want, but they dont attach to any transmiter, just a power supply, and each one has its own transmiter that go straight to the gamecube via radio link!

C'mon, that'd be awesome! Its sooooo unlikely, but man...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 10:20:08 PM »
I've seen a similar article on a Famitsu-related source. I think they assume this is the secret announcement and I doubt they know it for sure.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 10:25:59 AM »
::cough:: VR ::cough::
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 06:25:21 PM »
i dont think a customizable controller would be good, it would be prone to breaking easily.
now if it's VR I say h311 yea! and about time!

the late designer of the Virtual Boy (and gb) will live on.

I know VR is only a matter of time, and if Nintendo is the first to do this, then that just shows they're
the most innovative once again

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 08:25:27 PM »
I just HOPE that VR you imagine has zero in common with those horrible VR-helmets and doesn't require much room. I'd hate to have a (2m)³ thing in my room just to play games, let alone have games be physically strenuous (Decathlon, BAH!).

Offline Majexto

• How do I posted reply?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 05:24:35 AM »
I cant find this on that website.  help?

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 01:13:16 PM »
I have a crazy idea:  Maybe its 3D Projection?  Imagine Mario jumping around all over your bedroom!   Although unlikely, I was talking to the Engineer-In-Residence at my school last year and he said that creation of this technology has just started.  Personally, I think this is more likely than VR.

Offline mrbojangos

• foggy goggle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 05:39:04 PM »
not too long ago  i read something may be on this site that said about a globe type thing that allows for 3d may be it is a wireless monitor for the gamecube and gba successors with wireless av connections being new hmm nintendo seems to be interested in new technology they are after all "innovative" if this was to happen its just a matter of time microsoft and sony announce something to rip this off as they did witht heh wavebird a very simple idea which rocked cheap bastards
wii- 0480067198119868

msg me on aim (mrbojangos2k5)with your FC if u add so i can add yours

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 09:54:02 PM »
3D rojection? Sure, what's the minimum room size for playing then?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 07:02:17 AM »
What i think the future of vr is gonna be in the home console is just a lightweight helmet that allows for freedom of viewing.  You would still play on your couch holding a controller for the rest of the stuff.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004, 02:43:56 PM »
http://www.the-magicbox.com/game122903.shtml

if this link doesnt work, go to the archives. its under rumors at the bottom of the page for 12/29/03

Thomas Paine

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 02:48:37 PM »

Originally posted by: PaleZer0
What i think the future of vr is gonna be in the home console is just a lightweight helmet that allows for freedom of viewing.  You would still play on your couch holding a controller for the rest of the stuff.

You mean, like...the Virtual Boy 2?  

*pukes*

I doubt Nintendo will do anything with "VR" for quite some time.  VB was a huge failure, and if they were to make another, it would most likely fail...I've tried 3D glasses for a computer, and they're nothing special.  They also cause eye strain/damage, which is a big problem.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 03:34:52 PM »
And this is why no one else(with any brains, that is) has tried VR...If Ninty can't do it, no one can...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2004, 03:39:05 PM »
Virtual Reality.  I don't want that to happen.  I'm afraid that someday they'll become so realistic that I'll be stuck in a gameworld for the rest of my life and never find my way out.   Meanwhile, in real life, my body will slowly rot and decompose right there on the couch.

*shudders*

Like in the Matrix.  It's like we'd go into the Matrix, and then forget that we were in there and think it's real life, and.....yeah you get  my point.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2004, 03:55:09 PM »
::shoots searanoX::
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2004, 10:16:42 PM »
3d glasses and VR helmets are on my list for "don't buy". Know why? I have no depth perception. That makes me unable to use firearms (at least that's what the military says), I can't see jack when trying those "3d images" (you know, thosewith the warped pattern that appear to be 3d objects when looked at right) and that makes 3d glasses completely useless.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2004, 03:10:19 AM »
VR helmets were never going to be good. Watching a computer screen is bad enough for most people, positioning a screen like that 2-5cm away from your eyes is much much worse. You're missing out on anything, KDR.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2004, 07:56:21 AM »
You have all obviously never been to disney quest...
---------------------

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2004, 10:25:18 AM »

Originally posted by: PaleZer0
::shoots searanoX::

Nice spam.  Try thinking (I do hope you've done that in the past) before opening your mouth.

KDR - no depth perception?  Strange, you should have...you don't have only one eye, do you?  That's the only reason I can think of that would cause such a problem.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2004, 10:35:49 AM »
::laughs::
---------------------

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2004, 08:56:49 PM »
The 'console' part mentioned might just be an assumption they made when translating the Japanese text. It could be 'system' or 'hardware' which might indicate something in the realm of portable or arcade (this could be another portable Pikachu for all we know).

Of course, this article might be built from the ground up with assumptions. Wait 'n see.