Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Discussion  (Read 180243 times)

Offline Draygaia

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Resident Evil 4 Discussion
« Reply #375 on: March 17, 2004, 01:24:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
REmake and RE0 were on two discs, though they didn't fill them completely...A longer game made of actual polygons and no prerendering would obviously take up more space, no?  And who says they will fill up the entire third disc?

Actually if it was entirely polygons it would take up less space and less than one GCN disc.  The game was short and it took up two discs!  The pre-rendered background is what really takes up the space.  I'm not tech head but since the character graphics was just IMO so damn good I'm guessing they concentrated the polygons on that.  The pre-rendering was a way to give it good graphics w/o actually purely using the system's power.  Kinda like the reasoning behind the movies in FF games on the PSX.  The system can't be that powerful to show it and since it is a disc why not?

ADDED:

I just have to express my thoughts.  The game just seems so amazing already!  I hope the control is better than the series.  I was kinda expecting a winback with some melee combo fighting system but this interesting engine seems so cool and so easy to use!  I always thought it was so damn crappy for a zombie to use a weapon.  It just didn't seem to make sense but after just looking at the movies and pictures they make look really good.  The zombie with a chainsaw attacking Leon is my favorite picture.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Resident Evil 4 Discussion
« Reply #376 on: March 17, 2004, 01:38:26 PM »
Wait, I could have sworn that polygons took up more space than prerendered backgrounds, especially with the polygon count RE4 is pushing...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Nimbus

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 17, 2004, 02:03:01 PM »
I really think that poly takes less space than pre-rendered.  If you look at a poly file, it's mostly just coordinate of points, like a text file full of numbers.  As for the textures and sound it is another story.  The textures alone must fill a great deal of the disc and they are copied from one disk to another to be used in the entire games, like the menus.  In a sense, if the game was on one single cd it would take a lot less space.

Offline Zero_Plague

• Only Linkin Park understands
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 17, 2004, 08:45:05 PM »
Looks like we will be receiving the new trailer VERY soon.
DaMa guesses that we might see the trailer on Resident Evil's anniversary, which sounds pretty understandable to me... but afterall, it is a guess.

I doubt that we won't be getting this trailer till April... but who knows?
Lets just keep fingers crossed... and hope for the best.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 18, 2004, 11:21:44 AM »
i don't think this has been asked yet, but has anything been said about the saving system?  i read on ign that the typewriters are back, but does anyone know if there's still a limited amount of saves?  i always hated that.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 18, 2004, 11:30:45 AM »
here is a nice webpage that pretty much sums up all information known about re4.  it's mostly all just taken directly from various internet previews.  nice for those of you who may not have time to read six different previews that contain 90% of the same information
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline SLIVER

• View Profile
So much for Too Human!!
"Nintendo, where dreams never come true"
Mario Tennis, Too Human, Eternal Darkness 2.

(NINTENDO IS AFRAID OF CHANGES!) "YOU COWARDS, TAKE IT LIKE A MAN"

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #382 on: March 18, 2004, 03:32:19 PM »
That was so yesterday.  Today is the 18th.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Zero_Plague

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 19, 2004, 01:47:45 AM »
The official Biohazard 4 website has been updated.
Nothing new... but it may be looking as if Capcom is happening to get everything on their site (possibly including the trailer) to a wonderful appearance for Resident Evil's anniversary on the 22nd.

The door opening sequence and the picture slideshow for the story do look somewhat fascinating.
Pity though that it's all in Japanese.

Offline Garnia

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 20, 2004, 01:40:09 AM »
wow, i have been gone from these forums for like 4 months..... umm anyways! Woah! I can't wait to get resident Evil 4! I think it is gonna be the best one yet! Even better than dare I say it, Resident Evil 2! I don't know how I'm gonna wait till Q4 2004 though! I guess Tales of Symphonia and Harvest Moon AWL will just have to hold me off!

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 20, 2004, 05:57:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Garnia
wow, i have been gone from these forums for like 4 months..... umm anyways! Woah! I can't wait to get resident Evil 4! I think it is gonna be the best one yet! Even better than dare I say it, Resident Evil 2! I don't know how I'm gonna wait till Q4 2004 though! I guess Tales of Symphonia and Harvest Moon AWL will just have to hold me off!

Better add Baten  Kaitos to that list

It's my top 5 list
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 20, 2004, 07:46:08 AM »
Hey guys I just got my Game Informer and they say that the made a mistake about the location, it is definetly in Europe.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 20, 2004, 09:57:02 AM »
Yay, they're not using zombies again. And Umbrellas gone... although they may influence the game. How can that be?
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 20, 2004, 10:42:42 AM »
O.K ...36 second video is up of the game

Its bad quality with no sound but still worth the short download.

Check out www.nintendoinsider.com
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 20, 2004, 10:46:30 AM »
very cool.  thanks the the tip, akdaman1.

the footage looks great, considering.  i can hardly wait for an official trailer.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 20, 2004, 04:09:33 PM »
Thanks Akdaman1, it's not bad but it does show off the game in motion. I can't wait for a high rez and sound filled trailer.
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline reviewgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 20, 2004, 08:56:05 PM »
Personally, i dont think zombies have been completely removed. The 'trance' like state everyone keeps referring sounds awfully familiar to a journal seen in Resident Evil 1 (The remake). If anyone remembers, a journal written by one of the workers in the mansion. Each new journal entry you read, he seems like he progressively becomes more and more zombie like, up until his last few entries that says something along the lines of 'Fever gone but itchy. Today hungry and eat doggie food.' 'Itchy itchy Scott came ugly face so killed him. Tasty.'  

Offline Zero_Plague

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 20, 2004, 10:43:43 PM »

Originally posted by: reviewgamer
Personally, i dont think zombies have been completely removed. The 'trance' like state everyone keeps referring sounds awfully familiar to a journal seen in Resident Evil 1 (The remake). If anyone remembers, a journal written by one of the workers in the mansion. Each new journal entry you read, he seems like he progressively becomes more and more zombie like, up until his last few entries that says something along the lines of 'Fever gone but itchy. Today hungry and eat doggie food.' 'Itchy itchy Scott came ugly face so killed him. Tasty.'

Yep, everybody's favourite diary.

Anyway, with the "no zombie/zombie" situtation, some people (Including myself) had thought that all these villagers were all hosts of some sort of virus that is slowly taking them through the stages of zombification... although they are not yet zombies themselves.
Others also have theories on whether this may be a new virus by Umbrella or some other character/organization.

Personally, I tend to think to myself that the 'infected' theory is more believable, but I guess that we'll have to wait to discover.

In my eyes, I feel that the amount of overly intense action that we saw in the 36 second video clip may be too much for a "Survival Horror" saga, and may subtract the level of fear of the player... but then again, according to the numerous players of the Resident Evil 4 demo, it did seem to scare them... so I'm hoping that this game will live up to the scares that previous Resident Evil games gave us.

Offline Garnia

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 21, 2004, 02:00:45 AM »
 my personal favourite diary was the watchmans diary from resident evil 2 and i hope that capcom doesn't mess up this game like they kinda did with re3. i just didn't find it scary, though i still found it fun. by the looks of things, re4 is gonna be great.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 21, 2004, 05:22:35 AM »
I loved the bit where Leon was blasting the guy behind the door with the shotgun in the video. Although grainy, the video showed the incredible graphics and effects of RE4, and having seen it in motion I believe it has the best graphics I've seen on any console.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2004, 06:27:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Zero_Plague
In my eyes, I feel that the amount of overly intense action that we saw in the 36 second video clip may be too much for a "Survival Horror" saga, and may subtract the level of fear of the player... but then again, according to the numerous players of the Resident Evil 4 demo, it did seem to scare them... so I'm hoping that this game will live up to the scares that previous Resident Evil games gave us.

You don't think it's scarier when you're enemies are smarter and wield weapons? O_o

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2004, 09:21:22 AM »
Wouldn't it be cool if there were something in the game where you can spot references to movies and you get something for it in the game?
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline reviewgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 21, 2004, 01:27:06 PM »
Offical Site

The offical site has been updated. That one is in japanese though and i cant read it. im not sure if the english site has been updated also as i dont have the link for it.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 21, 2004, 04:07:18 PM »
Didn't read through rest of the post, but I don't think this was mentioned.
Nintendojo is soon to update with home video footage of Resident Evil 4, and for the time being(because of bandwidth issues) has a short .gif of the video in action.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 21, 2004, 05:18:48 PM »
It was...It's part of the 30-some-odd second no-sound video that's going around...