Author Topic: Gotcha Force is here! Free Movie(s) and Q&A  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Gotcha Force is here! Free Movie(s) and Q&A
« on: November 24, 2003, 04:13:43 PM »
We've got the final version of Capcom's Gotcha Force.  My impressions are now on the site.  Please read them and check out a movie I captured.  It's in MPG format this time, because DivX hasn't been working properly for some reason.  I'll keep working on that.  Just click the link below and it will start downloading.

Gotcha Force Battle, Part 1 - MPEG Format (15MB)

As always, please let me know how the download and movie work for you.  The DNS problems and other issues seem to have been ironed out, so I THINK everyone will be able to download it now.

Also, as we've done with other games, you can ask me a question in this thread and I'll try to answer it.  I'm still early on, but I'm getting a good feel for how it plays.  
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Gotcha Force is here! Free Movie(s) and Q&A
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 06:58:50 PM »
Good hands-on...what range score are you gonna give it? In the 9s,  8s etc
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 08:02:52 PM »
Too early to tell, but I can say that it's a fun mech combat game with a lot of variety in the characters and a surprising bit of challenge.  The story and presentation will make you cry in agony.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Gotcha Force is here! Free Movie(s) and Q&A
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 08:15:11 PM »
to shreds you say?

school kids and bad voice acting i can handel in games, usually it makes me laugh ^_^ what i want to know is, what sort of multiplayer does it feature? the profile says 1-4, so i assume there would be the standard 4 player deathmatch, any form of co-op?

edit: hahahah i see what you mean about the voice acting, it's somewhat.....  odd, but the gameplay looks pretty fun so i'm sure i'll enjoy it, should it come to australia, i spose that's another question any news on a PAL release date?

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 08:32:19 PM »
From what I have seen of it , it looks ...ummm...repetitive...is it? And I love shallow story lines...Advance wars style etc..

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 05:24:04 AM »

Originally posted by: PIAC
to shreds you say?

school kids and bad voice acting i can handel in games, usually it makes me laugh ^_^ what i want to know is, what sort of multiplayer does it feature? the profile says 1-4, so i assume there would be the standard 4 player deathmatch, any form of co-op?

edit: hahahah i see what you mean about the voice acting, it's somewhat.....  odd, but the gameplay looks pretty fun so i'm sure i'll enjoy it, should it come to australia, i spose that's another question any news on a PAL release date?

It does have 4-player vs. mode.  Each player can load a collection from their memory cards (the game holds all the info in RAM while you swap out memory cards), or you can use someone else's collection if you don't have one.  Then you set rules for the battle, and everyone creates a "force" (team) from the collection they loaded or borrowed.  It looks like you can also have AI-controlled forces to round out the game if you don't have all four players.  I wouldn't have expected bots in a game like this.

You can also trade borgs from one memory card to another, and yes, you can play co-op with two players teaming up against the computer in the "Challenge" mode, which is just one battle at a time.  I have no idea about a PAL release; you might want to check GameCube Europe.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 05:30:09 AM »

Originally posted by: akdaman1
From what I have seen of it , it looks ...ummm...repetitive...is it? And I love shallow story lines...Advance wars style etc..

It is a bit repetitive, but the kind of action makes that not really so bad.  Also, it depends on which borgs you are using.  Like, the gunner borg is obviously going to stay far away from enemies and just shoot them up like crazy.  You still have to dodge shots and run away when they get too close though, and there is a lot of ammo management because your bullets run out quickly before recharging.  Other borgs are more balanced and thus have a more interesting move set.  There is a wire gunner who sets a red laser grid to fence in opponents, and he can also use that grid as a quick means of escape.  There's a magnet borg who sucks enemies towards him (and an alternate version who apparently repels).  There are transforming mechs that change from walking to jet mode like Robotech.  I don't have a lot of these fancier models yet, though.  The movie shows some very basic borgs, because I recorded it early in the game.  I'll try to get a later one if my video software will cooperate.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 06:49:04 AM »
The download did work for me, but it went VERY slow.  It took me 34 minutes on cable for it to finish.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 07:59:44 AM »
Thanks for the response , PGC should have a Q & A evrynow and then...

Lets see more questi0ons...oh ....how long is it lasting you , And whats wrong with the storyline?

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 08:10:42 AM »
Please tell me there is a sound option for turning the voices down! The game looked pretty fun in the video, but yikes!

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 11:05:14 AM »
The download doesn't work for me, I just get an IE error.

I hope the speed of the download can be improved. I have a 1.5MB ADSL

also is this game really fun? have you played with anyone Johnny?

What's the release date for U.S.?

Robotech like borgs you say? Hmmmmm.. sound's Awesome : ) I loved Robotech.
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 12:36:54 PM »

Originally posted by: akdaman1
Thanks for the response , PGC should have a Q & A evrynow and then...

Lets see more questi0ons...oh ....how long is it lasting you , And whats wrong with the storyline?

I'm not sure how long the story mode is, but there are over 200 borgs to collect, and the story mode seems to be the main way of collecting them.  So I assume that it's pretty long.  I think the multiplayer modes are going to be one of the big reasons to keep playing though.  The storyline is just really stupid and doesn't make any sense.  I can ignore that, but the voices are enough to drive you crazy.  The whole game (including menus, cutscenes, dialogue, etc.) is saturated with very loud sound effects and garish colors.  It definitely looks like a kids game.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 12:39:39 PM »

Originally posted by: MysticGohan24
The download doesn't work for me, I just get an IE error.

I hope the speed of the download can be improved. I have a 1.5MB ADSL

also is this game really fun? have you played with anyone Johnny?

What's the release date for U.S.?

Robotech like borgs you say? Hmmmmm.. sound's Awesome : ) I loved Robotech.

The download speed depends mostly on traffic.  If you have a good connection and traffic is light, it will download blazingly fast.  But if there is a lot of traffic (not just from our site but also from the others that share our media server), you will get slow speeds no matter how good a connection you have.

I think the game is really fun, yeah.  And surprisingly hard at times.  I haven't played any multiplayer yet, no.  I definitely will before my review though.  It comes out in the US in early December (they don't have an exact date yet).  That's when my review will be posted, probably on the release date or maybe a day earlier.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ExtremeGcube

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 12:41:43 PM »
timed out after 25kb downloaded(a few times).
The last temptation is the greatest treason To do the right deed for the wrong reason.  ~ T.S. Eliot

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 04:02:35 PM »
Try again after waiting an hour, I think you will get different (and hopefully good) results.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2003, 04:54:17 PM »
Hey, what went wrong with DivX?

and have you gotten DivX 5.1.1 yet?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Borzoi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2003, 08:25:08 PM »
Woah! Looks like Virtual On- munchkin version......what are the controls like? If it handles like Virtual On, I am a little scared, but intrigued....

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2003, 08:38:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Borzoi
Woah! Looks like Virtual On- munchkin version......what are the controls like? If it handles like Virtual On, I am a little scared, but intrigued....

It does play a lot like Virtual On, but the controls are much simpler.  You control with just one joystick.  It moves you around on the ground, and you can dash by tapping in any direction.  A jumps or boosts or flies, depending on the borg you are using.  Note that you can dash in the air as well.  B usually controls both long-range and melee attacks, switching between them based on your distance from the currently selected enemy.  Some borgs have additional attacks that are activated when you hold B and then release.  X uses special attacks, which can vary dramatically from one borg to another.  Y unleashes a "hyper" mode (I don't know what it's really called), in which all of your weapons have infinite ammo, you move faster, and you deal extra damage.  It doesn't make you invincible though.  This mode lasts about fifteen seconds and can only be used when a certain meter fills up, which happens with time and usually takes a few minutes to happen the first time.  It seems to fill up faster after you use it the first time in a battle though.  R and L cycle through enemies for your targeting system, and holding Z makes you target your ally borg.  (Useful for healing.)  The C-stick is not used in battle, and I don't think the D-pad is either.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Borzoi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2003, 08:50:15 PM »
Hey- thanks for the reply. I've been keeping my eye on this game for months, so it's great having a Q & A like this.

Those sound like nifty controls. Targeting with the triggers is always welcome, for faster gameplay. I take it the camera is automatic and tied in with your moves and who you're targeting, eh? Must be a pretty good camera for all of this to work together.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2003, 02:37:01 AM »
Ok worked for me today, got it at over 160KB per sec : )

is it me or are the graphics just not all that great?

My eye's almost bleed

What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2003, 05:35:02 PM »
Heh, the colors bleed a lot because I'm capturing through composite video cables, plus the compression makes it worse.  But the game is definitely very bright and actually garish at times.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ylc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2003, 06:18:58 PM »

Offline Borzoi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2003, 07:23:38 PM »
I got Gotcha Force today!

It's so sweet- the controls and camera are totally slick, the AI is really pretty impressive, the goofy voice acting is fine by me- makes the game loopier- this game is a complete winner- it's not the same as SuperSmash Bros, of course, but this one is gonna be played with my friends just as much if not more.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2003, 07:25:03 AM »
Is Gotcha Force set for an european release or an US one? I want to know whether to import or wait.

Offline Borzoi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2003, 08:07:44 PM »
i'm here in the US- i have no idea about a European release- maybe check Capcom's site? I'd say it's worth an import if this is the sort of thing you are interested in- it's very polished and will keep you and your friends busy for a long time. Not to mention, this game is not getting any attention and I bet it's going to become rare quickly.