Author Topic: Broadband Adapter  (Read 2238 times)

Offline MagicToenail

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Broadband Adapter
« on: November 24, 2003, 09:03:19 AM »
I was thinking about getting a broadband adapter when I realized I didnt know everything it does and how it works. I know that it can be used to play Kirby Air ride and MKDD but I dont know how. Can you use the adapter as an internet link up? So basically what are all of its functions? Could someone explain this to me?
Currently playing: Mario 64 DS and Resident Evil 4

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Broadband Adapter
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 01:13:21 PM »
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline MagicToenail

• View Profile
RE: Broadband Adapter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 01:33:32 PM »
You are a smart man Berto.

Offline davidctaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 05:32:34 AM »
I looked at that forum and didn't see anything related to broadband.  What gives?
David Taylor
* First there was Pong.
* Then Intellivision.
* Next came my Commodore 64.
* I loved Super Mario on my old NES.
* I really liked my PS1 too.
* Ahh, but my GameCube and DS Lite rock.
* --spot reserved for Wii comment--

Offline ExtremeGcube

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 05:50:11 AM »
That my friend is where you ask questions about what the BBA is.
The last temptation is the greatest treason To do the right deed for the wrong reason.  ~ T.S. Eliot

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 07:22:13 AM »
This thread belongs in technical discussion my friend.  Thats why he gave you a link to it.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline MagicToenail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 10:36:38 AM »
So, is an admin gonna move this discussion or what...... Well until they do, or don't, does anyone know?

Offline Thrackerzog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 12:14:26 PM »
Well, until this is moved, I guess I will help.
The broadband adapter lets your Gamecube communicate with (1)Other Gamecubes and/or (2)a Computer.
Right now there are 3 games that can utilize the BBA. Phantasy Star Online, Kirby Air Ride, and Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. The first one, PSO, is the only official online game for the Gamecube. To play PSO online you need purchase a subscription. I'm not sure of the price but it's about $10-$15. This is an example of the Gamecube communicating with a computer. The Gamecube uses the BBA to link to Sega's servers. The other 2 games, KAR and MK: DD (and soon to be 1080 :avalanche) can use the BBA for LAN (Local Area Network) play. This is the Gamecube communicating with other Gamecubes directly.  The back of the MK: DD manual shows examples of how this can be done. Basically with only 2 cubes you can use an ethernet crossover cable, and with more you need a hub.
That is all the official stuff. Unofficially you can play LAN enabled games over the internet by using a computer running a tunneling program. I was going to refer you to the thread about Warp Pipe but it seems you were the one who started that thread so I won't bother. For more info on how Warp Pipe lets you play LAN games online check their site and read the various FAQS in the forums.