Author Topic: Warp Pipe Project  (Read 10140 times)

Offline ghostVi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Warp Pipe Project
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2003, 07:15:18 AM »
AFAIK WP will also have some kind of instant messaging.... but they could easily use an open messaging system, like jabber (the best IM system so far IMHO), which would save the cost and trouble of running their own servers. I guess we'll all have to wait and see how it turns out. One thing is for sure, it's going to be free of charge.

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
RE:Warp Pipe Project
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2003, 10:54:56 AM »
Maybe I am a little confused as to how warppipe works.  You dont connect with other cubes through their website?  How does your cube find other players?  I guess I got the wrong idea on how this will work.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2003, 12:04:52 AM »
Well I just checked how the alpha build works. You don't have a central server or list of servers... Basically everyone running the app may: 1) become a server and start listening for others, or 2) connect to someone who is already listening as a server.

All connected to the same place (that would be your PC in the 1st case), including yourself, will be putting their cubes on a virtual LAN.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2003, 02:30:17 AM »
It won't matter now.  The latest announcement on WPP forums is they got their stuff running at full speed 60fps using a 128kbps upstream.

They've also confirmed that a Cube hooked to a hub hooked to a comp (which is all of course hooked up to your BB connection) will get you going too.

And a Cube hooked to a 2nd NIC on your comp, with your comp's first NIC hooked to the BB connection will work as well.

So no, a router isn't necessary.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2003, 04:03:12 AM »
Erm..... I think we were discussing if the application needs a server, hosted by the WP project, and what I was trying to say is that the application itself is used as a server... nothing about routers here Nice to hear they've got it working with a second NIC on the PC though.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2003, 04:08:22 AM »
sorry.  just my mindless update.

But hey, nice to see WP is closer to its goals sooner than expected.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2003, 09:59:21 AM »
From what I can make out of their beta progress info they only have to get Kirby running with the changes made to the WP app because of MK: DD...

Offline ExtremeGcube

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2003, 10:30:55 PM »
It's here. It's Here.  Go to warp pipes website and dowload that beta.
The last temptation is the greatest treason To do the right deed for the wrong reason.  ~ T.S. Eliot

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2003, 06:28:12 AM »
I am a little confused as to what all I need to get myself up and running.  I have a computer, GameCube, GCN broadband adapter, and a DSL connection.  What else am I gonna need?  I know there are a few differant methods, so which ever is the best/easiest.

Offline ExtremeGcube

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2003, 06:33:39 AM »

Originally posted by: mjbd
I am a little confused as to what all I need to get myself up and running.  I have a computer, GameCube, GCN broadband adapter, and a DSL connection.  What else am I gonna need?  I know there are a few differant methods, so which ever is the best/easiest.

Well if you connect your DSL modem to your computer through USB and you have a NIC card on your PC you can bridge the two using windows XP and use a crossover cable to connect the gamecube to the NIC while you connect using the USB to the internet.  You run the software, find someone to play with and follow he direction on the screen.  Its really not difficult.  There are different types of ways of connecting including a hub or swits, or using a router.  Go here for detailed instructions.
Warp Pipe Documentation on their Website
The last temptation is the greatest treason To do the right deed for the wrong reason.  ~ T.S. Eliot

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2003, 10:37:58 AM »
"And how does the code that developers include magically fix lag? If it loses a packet, does it just create a new one? I've played many an x-box live game with plenty of freaking lag." - PaleZer0

Ya but you could still "play" right. You weren't trying to move for about 10 secs, then realizing that its worthless to even try to play, then take another 30 secs just to quit the damn game. THAT'S THE LAG YOU GET WHEN YOU PLAY LAN....(with more than 2 systems mind you)

I didn't say it stopped lag, but it helps it usually from becoming a real problem. I haven't played mariokart online yet so I don't know what to think of it, but I know if Nintendo actually took the time to take it online it would play much smoother. GARUNTEED.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2003, 11:43:20 AM »
If anyone's using this, drop me a line on AIM (WakuWaku7).

i've got 1080 and Mario Kart and i'm ready to give it a go.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2003, 12:57:15 PM »
I need help finding the cheapest way for me to get up and going.  I have DSL, but PC with access is on the second floor.  My Gamecube is in the basement.  I have another PC in the basement, so I think I can get a wireless internet router, and then use a hub to branch out to my Gamecube and PC.  Any ideas on a cheap wireless router than doesnt suck?  The one Best Buy had was about $150.