Author Topic: intense baseball  (Read 3893 times)

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
intense baseball
« on: October 16, 2003, 07:03:56 PM »
are you guys watching the yanks and sox??? great game so far...11th inning just started
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:intense baseball
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 07:08:00 PM »
What channel?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 07:15:20 PM »
it was on fox, but the yanks just hit a walk off home run. i cant stand the yanks.....the marlins are my last line of defense now.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 07:16:25 PM »
I don't really have any team loyalty besides the Braves, but I didn't want to miss a big game. Ah well.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 07:50:51 PM »
im a d-backs fan...my second favorite team is whoever is playing the yanks. the last thing we need is another yanks world series victory.  

Thomas Paine

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
RE: intense baseball
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 02:40:26 AM »
as a huge red sox fan I hang my hat for yet another year. The bambino can kiss my ass and take his stupid curse with him.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 05:03:52 AM »
Yeah that was too bad 'bout the Sox. I am so sick of the Yankees. They need to be bad for just ONE year.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 10:35:21 AM »
It's stupid Grady Little's fault.  He should've taken Pedro out.:\

This kid in my class is such a sox fan that he didn't talk to anybody the first half of school.
This happened to be the same kid who once said you could get a Mario game on the xbox.  That made me angry.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 10:40:58 AM »
well i hate the yanks, but probably not as much as i hate the cowboys or lakers. i am not as big of a baseball fan, but it was a great game last night. i would have left pedro in too, but thta turned out to be their undoing.  

Thomas Paine

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 11:37:02 AM »
I love how everybody hates the Yankees because they win.  They didnt win from '78 until '96.  I didn't hear people bitching back then.  Then they get great again, and people come out crying. People need to get over it.  they spend too much, blah blah blah.  Jeter , Williams , Petitte, Soriano , Nick Johnson, Posada-all from their minor league system.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 11:51:13 AM »

Originally posted by: The Omen
I love how everybody hates the Yankees because they win.  They didnt win from '78 until '96.  I didn't hear people bitching back then.  Then they get great again, and people come out crying. People need to get over it.  they spend too much, blah blah blah.  Jeter , Williams , Petitte, Soriano , Nick Johnson, Posada-all from their minor league system.

Get over it? They are monopolizing baseball. Of course we didn't bitch then. They weren't good then. If evey team had players whose skills are almost equally matched with other teams, games would be a lot more interesting. And I wouldn't hate the Yankees.

Personally I think a salary cap would help even if every Yankees player would get the max.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 09:28:32 AM »
A salary cap would even out the playing field, no doubt.  But then it would be like the NFL-everybody sucks.  But how can they be a monopoly when every team is allowed to do the exact same thing they are doing?   Stienbrenner signs players to win.  He is going to lose 20 million this year, but he doesn't care because its about winning.  Go look at the loads of teams that spend tons of cash and don't make the playoffs.  The Dodgers, Mets, the Orioles of a few years back.  Even the Red Sox over spend. Spending money does NOT assure winning.  Which is why i pointed out the players that have come from the Yankees farm system.  Williams, Jeter and Pettite have been the glue for that team since 96.  You should complain about the Braves, too.  They have won 14 straight division championships.  Just because they choke in the playoffs doesnt mean they arent as 'guilty' of what you're complaining about.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 02:27:39 PM »
I find it kind of boring to watch sports, especially on TV, but they're fun to play.  It's also okay to go to the games with friends and watch the game/do random crap.  Fun.  But my attention span is too short to watch it on TV.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 03:21:56 PM »
Especially baseball.  Although the playoffs have been incredible.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 03:53:34 PM »
not all teams can do what the yanks do....new york is a huge market, and if most teams speant the money the yanks did they would be a lot more then 20mill in the hole. and not everyone sucks in football. it is by far the most popular sport in america right now and its because any team can win during any given year. in baseball you can rule out more then half the teams from making the playoffs at the begining of the year. the yanks have a monopoly and its only natural to hate a team that wins every year. the yanks have won the world series on average once every 4 years. if thats not disgusting, then i dont know what is.

edit: you did make a good point about hte yanks using their minor league though.

Thomas Paine

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 03:56:20 PM »
I usually find sports on TV terribly boring, especially baseball.  Yet the playoffs have been, well, as the title says, intense.  I find myself on the edge of my seat, heart pounding, waiting for the Red Sox to pull it off.  But they didn't, as usual. :\

I refuse to watch the world series.  I hate both teams.  Red Sox should have one.  Doun wit da Yanks.

So yeah, pretty much what The Omen said.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2003, 08:52:06 PM »
yanks lose..go marlins!

Thomas Paine

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2003, 06:44:21 AM »
I have to clear up something-i said all NFL teams suck, which wasn't really what i was aiming for.  I am not a fan of parity.  I enjoy having a dynasty, and it gives you more passion towards the game.  You hate that team, and you want to beat them.  Now, every team can win every week, but not because theyre good, but because almost every team is mediocre.  I love football, and am obsessed to tell the truth, but this sloppy, boring turnover ridden crap is killing me eyes(or is that just my Eagles?)  

About the Yanks, everyteam can do what they do.  They choose not to.  There is no cap , and if the owner really wanted to win, they'd make the financial sacrifice.  Most owners get into this to make money, which is why they don't.  Its cool to have an actual fan own the team, klike Steinbrenner, because if i owned my stinking Phillies, i'd overspend until we won, knowing the money would come from winning.  And lets not forget, everyteam is gaining worth while these owners say theyre losing money, so in effect, they never really are losing anything.  Go spend some cash you tight wads!   Also, i think if you look in the last 50 years, you'd see its a lot less than once every 4 years.  Youre taking into account days of old like the 20's to the 50's.  I think we can forgive them back then as Mr. Stienbrenner was not there spending 150 million

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 04:08:34 PM »
well i really dont think everyteam can do what the yanks do. the only reason football is so balanced is because of revenue sharing....lots of teams in lots of professional sports lose money....i think it may be safe to say a majority...thats why certain teams are worth more then others....some teams will simply bring in more money. and i think this is obvious in baseball...there were a few teams on the brink of extinction a couple years back...it wasnt because they were making tons of money and just sitting on it, it was because they were bankrupt. my team is the d-backs and the owner announced that he was cutting the payroll because of the loss of money....now some people argue that the numbers owners use are distorted, but i just dont think so. either way i hate the yanks...i love sports though....and i do understand what you mean by dynastys.....you still have dynastys to a certain extent...the bucs have been good for a few years....the 49ers were good for the longest time....they just dont win every year. i kind of like it better that way.

Thomas Paine

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2003, 04:46:39 PM »
I have to input here:  I don't hate the Yankees because they have the highest payroll in baseball, or even because they have to beat my Red Sox every year.  I hate they way they go about it.  Allow me to explain:

If a player isn't performing to his maximum abilities, Steinbrenner puts the choke on Torre to bench the underachiever or even trades him away.  Also, if the Yankees are in a position where they can't get much better, Steinbrenner will immediately walk up to the trading block and put in an extremely high bid for an All-Star (eg, let's go with the ALCS hero, Aaron Boone) that no other team can afford to match.

Therefore, the team has almost no team cohesion, because they don't have a chance to acquire it.

There's a couple more reasons, but I'm tired of typing.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2003, 06:50:17 PM »

the only reason football is so balanced is because of revenue sharing

Not true.  There is a salary cap on the amount you can spend, as well as an amount you can't go below. (i believe 45 million) Everybody has to spend just about the same, give or take about 5 million.

Also, if the Yankees are in a position where they can't get much better, Steinbrenner will immediately walk up to the trading block and put in an extremely high bid for an All-Star (eg, let's go with the ALCS hero, Aaron Boone) that no other team can afford to match.

Really now?  You mean like David Ortiz, whom Steinbrenner almost demanded Cashmen acquire?  What exactly did the Yanks give up to get Boone, by the way?  Prospects?  How do you get prospects?  By having a great scouting department.  I have no pity for a team dumping salary like the Reds, and to blame the Yankees for giving up 3 players to get him is ridiculous.  You have every right to hate the Yanks, since theyre your biggest rival, but dont tell me acquiring players that a team dumps is unethical.  Red Sox do it all the time.  Jeff Suppan anyone?

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 07:13:12 PM »
"Therefore, the team has almost no team cohesion, because they don't have a chance to acquire it."

No team cohesion? You dont think Jeter, Williams, Posada, Soriano have jelled?

The yanks have quite a longterm unit developing, they have shuffled around a few pieces here and there, but they have had a pretty solid stable core for a while now.

As for my sox, oh well.

Go Flyers, it is hockey time after all.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2003, 09:07:25 PM »
Baseball?
Phhht!
Play a real man's game, like Cricket! Now THERE'S a game!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2003, 04:39:51 PM »
Shut up you stupid Aussie!  WE'RE NICE.  WE DON'T BAT AROUND A POOR DEFENSLESS INSECT LIKE YOU DO, YOU HEARTLESS JOCK-STRAP!!!

*sniff.......poor cricket.....sniff*