Author Topic: Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?  (Read 44117 times)

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2004, 07:59:07 AM »
I think the Lttp graphics are somewhere in between the two styles. WW was at the smooth cartoon-like extreme while OoT was leaning a bit more towards realism but still retaining the original concept. A 3D game in the Lttp style would be quite good, but I prefer the extremes.

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2004, 09:17:32 AM »
I always thought that WW was a 3d emulation of the graphical style ot LttP.  The two are so similar.  Look at the trees in LttP and the artistic expression.  Even the colors are the same.  I think WW is an obvous nod to LttP and zelda's roots.  I love the style and hope it continues, makes it feel just good.
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2004, 09:45:46 AM »
The world was in the style of Lttp but Link looks very different. I wouldn't like to see a 3D Lttp Link. I just cant imagine that working.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2004, 05:59:27 AM »
I don't understand how you think they had similar styles.  Haven't you seen the Dark World?  Arguably, that style never made into WW, and that accounts for at least 70% of LttP.  To me, LttP was much more 'darker', in style and story, and in my opinion, the darkest of all Zelda games.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2004, 08:11:40 AM »

Originally posted by: Guitar Smasher
more 'darker'

HA HA HA!

the darkest of all Zelda games.

Well it's definitely up there. But the Shadow Temple is creepy, and the ending of WW I thought almost merited a Teen rating for the game. It probably would have gotten that rating if they had shown blood like it TOOT. (TOOT...hee hee ) Plus the Redeads and Gibdos in the 3D one's are REALLY scary. They frightened me in WW more than once.

has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2004, 10:55:55 AM »
They don't have gibdos in WW, do they?  They were creepy as hell in MM, and the Redeads freaked me out in WW (walking around in the sewer under my cabana, saw a human shape, thought "Hey, what's a person doing down here?" then all of a sudden it's screaming and I can't move and there are demonic, red eyes and it's on my back and eating my brains out and there's nothing I can do and damn that freaked the hell out of me).  Yeah, creepy.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2004, 11:00:47 PM »
There were scary enemies but I didnt feel doomed lke I did in OoT. The whole thing was too cheerful. Nobody was scared or anything like that.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2004, 07:15:28 AM »
The Gibdos in the N64 games were nothing more than Re-deads in bandages...

They need to bring back the "roam around the room not being knocked back by your attacks" Gibdos from the old days...

And I don't know how you felt doomed in OoT...The most I've ever felt "doomed" was during that huge storm section in Wind Waker...I felt really jittery waiting for something to pop out at me... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2004, 07:43:15 AM »

They need to bring back the "roam around the room not being knocked back by your attacks" Gibdos from the old days...

That always pissed me off so much!! For some reason I always forget that they don't get knocked back by your attacks, and fall into their deadly trap of expecting to be safe after I hit them!
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2004, 07:44:46 AM »
I used to absolutely love tWW, and still do.

However, compared to most other games, it is a masterpiece, but compared to other Zelda titles (OoT, LTTP), it is utter crap. The game is great, but has noticeable flaws. They are so obvious. Too short. Too easy. Lack of dungeons. Not really Zelda. Doesn't compare to OoT at ALL. I did not feel challenged ONCE through the entire game. I am shocked to see so many of you think of this one of their favorite games of all time. This game is probably inferior to pretty much all of the other Zeldas. tWW was inferior to OoT in every way.

In conclusion, tWW is a good game and worth playing, but c'mon- it DID NOT live up to OoT at all. I used to think this was one of the best, until I saw how incredibly short it was, and how it didn't live up to OoT at all. You have to have a pretty small gaming repertoire to think this is one of the best. There are LOTS of greater games out there, alot which are probably overlooked.

I am not trying to negate anybodys opinion, but c'mon. The faults are so obvious. No game is perfect, but this game lacked any sort of magic that other Zelda games had. OoT is just a beautiful and emotional game, with lots of great places and dungeons, and is widely considered to be the greatest video game ever! Wind Waker is merely a good game, and is loaded with faults.

That is my 2 cents.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2004, 09:15:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill

And I don't know how you felt doomed in OoT...The most I've ever felt "doomed" was during that huge storm section in Wind Waker...I felt really jittery waiting for something to pop out at me... ^_^

That bit was really good but not as scary as the whole adult part of OoT. As Steven Donaldson put it

"The only way to hurt a man who has nothing is to give him back something broken"

The Hyrule in OoT is a broken world. Of course in WW it is a broken world also, but there is a perfectly good overworld as well.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2004, 01:01:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Smashman
I used to absolutely love tWW, and still do.

However, compared to most other games, it is a masterpiece, but compared to other Zelda titles (OoT, LTTP), it is utter crap. The game is great, but has noticeable flaws. They are so obvious. Too short. Too easy. Lack of dungeons. Not really Zelda. Doesn't compare to OoT at ALL. I did not feel challenged ONCE through the entire game. I am shocked to see so many of you think of this one of their favorite games of all time. This game is probably inferior to pretty much all of the other Zeldas. tWW was inferior to OoT in every way.

In conclusion, tWW is a good game and worth playing, but c'mon- it DID NOT live up to OoT at all. I used to think this was one of the best, until I saw how incredibly short it was, and how it didn't live up to OoT at all. You have to have a pretty small gaming repertoire to think this is one of the best. There are LOTS of greater games out there, alot which are probably overlooked.

I am not trying to negate anybodys opinion, but c'mon. The faults are so obvious. No game is perfect, but this game lacked any sort of magic that other Zelda games had. OoT is just a beautiful and emotional game, with lots of great places and dungeons, and is widely considered to be the greatest video game ever! Wind Waker is merely a good game, and is loaded with faults.

That is my 2 cents.

For some reason I get the idea that Oot was your first Zelda game.  I could be completely wrong, but that's the impression I get.  I have to disagree that Oot is better than WW in every aspect.  WW, in my opinion, has much more fluent graphics, and in turn, more realism.  Yeah, it's a 'cartoon'.  But, there's a difference between having stylized graphics, and graphics that try to imitate realism, but with little success.  Secondly, WW controlled better than Oot, in my opinion, again.   Several times I found Oot to be kind of clumsy, but I'll admit it was great for its time.  But, no matter what, WW definitely controls better, no question.  Frankly, I know many will disagree with me, but I prefer to 'compare' Zelda games to LttP, rather than Oot.  In my opinion,  it is the 'perfect' Zelda game.  I think the story, play mechanics, graphics, and length/organization is the best it can be.  In all honesty, I can not think of any possible improvements for the game, it was just that close to perfection.  But of course, some will disaggree, but that's ok.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2004, 04:55:40 PM »
I think that while WW is a great game, it was a personal let down for me.
Like many fans, I saw the Space World demo and was blown away that the sequel to the zelda series could look like that.  I mean you could see every fiber, in Link's tunic, and to me it displayed the power that could lie in the future Nintendo.  So I immediately bought the GCN with this Zelda and Perfect Dark in mind (As you know that plan didn't work out- still there were plenty of other unquestionably great games that came out for the cube ).  Anyway I was a happy gamer^3, until I saw Link in his new cel shaded style.  Honestly I was crushed.  The first screen shot I saw was Link, cel-shaded in the worst pose possible.  I thought the world would end.  But as Wind Waker approached being the Zelda fan that I am, I began to get really excited.  It was a Zelda game after all.  I played the demos at Best Buy and was really impressed by the quickness of Link's movements and very soon I began frothing at the mouth at the sight or mention of green.
I got my bonus disk and played MQ.  The graphics were now only tolerable to me.  I was all for cel-shaded now.  They let Link move quickly without looking completely unrealistic (a cartoon after all).  Finally I got my copy of WW.  And for the first day, it was the greatest experience ever.  Link does backflips, Link rolls, Link hides under barrels, and has his own talking boat.  It was Zelda.  Until Link decides to go out to sea and sail miles of ocean that all looks the same.  This part, this large part, of the game made the game unbearable for me.  I just couldn't stand sailling.  Even with the Wind at my back, it still seemed like I was going at a snail's pace- I know boats don't go fast but it was a magic boat.  It felt like the demo had lied to me with its promise of speedy and fluid movement because there was movement over fluid but it was by no means speedy.  This is when the unthinkable happened and I put down my controller and played other things.  Gawd, I even found myself saying that I had HOMEWORK and STUDYING to do, with an unfinished Zelda game under my roof!  That is blasphemy!
So while Wind Waker was a good game with a good story, it was a huge let down in that it is the only Zelda game that I could put down and stop playing.

Just to get something else out of my system-  While I'm not a complete OoT fanboy, I do kind of get touchy when people say things such as WW's graphics are better than OoT's.  It is kind of comparing apples to oranges.  And even if it were comparing apples to apples, WW is OoT's and MM's sequel. It damn well better have improved graphics.  People stop looking at old-gen games with new-gen eyes.

Guitarsmasher- I agree with your entire paragraph save the insinuation that OoT imitated realism with little success.  It isn't regarded as one of the best games ever for nothing and even on its inferior platform, it can give some next-gen games a run for their money (nothing Nintendo makes of course).
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline DarkSyphor

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2004, 12:43:51 AM »
Does any one remember the creature that is a shape of a large hand that grabs you when you least expect it because that creature made me want to turn the Nintendo of for good.
For one thing the creature
1 makes a scary thriller noise
2 makes a shadow when approching you
3 looks like a spider that has claws on its feet

if people dont know the creature im talking about its in OoT,MM and i think LTTP and that creature was a put down for me when it was not put in WW but i a bit happy because i used to have nightmares of that creature (i dont know why maybe because i played it when i was 7) but WW was awsome and I still want to buy after i clocked it (because if i have the game i have all the series even the NEs and SuperNEs and GameBoy )
I think the cartoon graphic that Waltdisney gave to Miyamoto made a big differance
I hate long paragraphs, because when i begin reading i fall asleep.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2004, 02:24:40 AM »
DarkSyphor, I know what you're talking about and I wish I remembered what they were called.  Yeah those things were definitely scary.  In the forest temple when one picked me up for the first time from the ceiling, it suprised me so much I might have had an accident.  
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2004, 04:18:39 AM »
Those are called Wall Masters, and have been around since the very first LoZ...

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2004, 04:28:33 AM »
But in the 2D incarnations, they spawned from the floor as opposed to overhead.  That's what surprised me.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2004, 07:23:46 AM »
The wallmasters per-se wern't in WW but floormasters were. They came from the floor (like in LttP) but had an arm attached and you could see them coming.

Offline DarkSyphor

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2004, 01:22:01 PM »
The wall masters was one of the scaryest creatures but the most werid creature was those dead fish from MM, very scary.
The Floor masters in WW is much frightening with the black hole you see until the hand comes out and grabs you. I cant remeber but I think in the Wind Temple or the other Temple that there is gas on the floor and you cant see though the gas and also your arms cant pull out your sword so its like that Movie Jurrasic park when the guys goes into the toliet and Trex trapes him in the Toliet and eats him (the movie was funny but the Temple,in the game, was dead scary). The MM Floor master was also scary only in the Water Temple when your a Zora and there's a pipe where you have to go through (dead scary when the grab you with out notice) and also the Invisible SkullSpiders in the Water and Forest Temple in WW coming down on you with impact.  
I hate long paragraphs, because when i begin reading i fall asleep.

Offline ralph98201

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2004, 07:36:32 AM »
i'm more of a recent zelda fan, WW bein the only one i've played through, but i think that i just about wet myself the first time i tried to go up and hit one of those redead things in WW with my sword... ugh... easy bad guys once you know what to do, but im still terrified everytime one o' those things screeches at me...
Mario Kart 64... no better game exists.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2004, 08:22:50 AM »
You eventually get used to it. If you dont like the scream then just play the Sun Song and they will freeze.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2004, 01:21:15 PM »
Sun song does not exist in WW.  Use the mirror shield if there is light around.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »
The sun song does exist in WW. You get it in Windfall.
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2004, 02:58:44 PM »
How can this be someones favorite game of all-time. It was just a slap dash attempt at a game compared to OOT, really. Classics like LTTP and OOT should not have to worry about tWW taking its place.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2004, 03:20:34 PM »
o·pin·ion  n. - A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion”

And a very good one at that...