Author Topic: RetroActive 44: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks  (Read 153 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RetroActive 44: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
« on: April 14, 2019, 06:39:23 PM »
You know what to do, post your thoughts here.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline pokepal148

• Mop it up ate my Roomba :(
  • Score: -9960
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive 44: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:42:51 PM »
Boooooooooo! Boooooooooooooooooooo!

Not to crash this thread or anything but I'll probably start the Forum Retrospective threads for the Oracle games and Crystalis after the RFN episode for Spirit Tracks is posted. It'll probably be Crystalis first and than the Oracle games so we have a nice, juicy, Zelda sandwich. For anyone who doesn't know what forum retrospective is, it's basically this retroactive thread but without the podcast. There's more information on one of the links in my signature.

All I've heard about this game is that people looooove the pan flute but I did play Phantom Hourglass like a decade ago and enjoy it. Oh and retail copies of this game are a bit pricey so the Wii U Virtual Console version of this game is more than worth considering.

First Impressions: the thing I appreciate about Phantom Hourglass is how willing it is to cast aside basically all of the series's tropes and ditch the kingdom of Hyrule to embrace Wind Waker's thematic break from those things in favor of a brave new world. With Spirit Tracks However we seem to be back in a kingdom called Hyrule with a Hyrule castle a princess Zelda. I suppose given the name of the franchise it doesn't make sense to name the princess anything else but keeping the Hyrule name feels not right considering the end of Wind Waker, which both this game and Phantom Hourglass are direct sequels to.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:02:44 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline CDavis7M

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:16 AM »
Im a big fan of Spirit Tracks and looking forward to replaying it.

By the way, it looks like episode 174 and 175 from December 2009 have the contemporaneous discussions.

Offline pokepal148

• Mop it up ate my Roomba :(
  • Score: -9960
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:36:59 PM »
Holy ****, Zelda is dead?!?!?!?!?

Also, **** the Spirit Flute. No seriously, it's remarkable how with one move the game managed to find itself right next to Zelda 2 and Skyward Sword as one of the absolute worst games in the Zelda series. The Train is serviceable enough but the flute feels like a tech demo that you could maybe make a decent 200 point DSiware game out of that has absolutely no place in a Zelda game and drags the whole thing down.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:37:02 PM by pokepal148 »