Author Topic: I for one welcome the glorious return of overconfident E3 2006 Sony.  (Read 1730 times)

Offline broodwars

• Mr. Rogers never fought the Vietcong...
  • Score: -989
    • View Profile
Re: I for one welcome the glorious return of overconfident E3 2006 Sony.
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
- Contains super SSD with "a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs"
So that's code for either a Proprietary, or non user replaceable storage solution for the PS5 right? Awesome!

I assume it stands for "Solid State Drive", referring to a very expensive form of harddrive you can buy right now that is incredibly fast. You could put one in your PS4 right now if you wanted & dramatically cut down on your load times. Of course, you're also going to be paying dearly for it, which makes me wonder how goddamn EXPENSIVE the PS5 will be. -_-
"There was a signature here. It's gone now."

Offline pokepal148

• It certainly has been deep. IDK about the fear part though.
  • Score: -9963
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 05:07:50 PM »
The wording seems to imply that they're using some kind of proprietary variant of an SSD. Not that Sony would ever use proprietary memory on their devices. ;)
Forum Retrospective - Come play games with us. It'll be fun.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
SSDs are fast. They're even faster if you design a game around how fast they are.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Happy Meal Promotional Toy Expert
  • Score: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
But SSDs are rapidly dropping in cost as well. You can get one for 2TB that has the top of the line specs for less than $200, so I would imagine they are using something like that and HOPEFULLY is drops in cost by the time PS5 releases in a year or so.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Super KYTim89

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
Sony saw how successful the PS4 was and they also  witnesses Microsoft  get away with the Xbox ONE X and decided the PS5 will most likely be $499.99 with no cheaper alternative.

Offline nickmitch

• Some cunning linguist to help you distinguish what is proper English
  • Score: 72
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 07:01:47 PM »
I think, if anything, they'll probably keep an eye on Nintendo.  Sony put out a revision with a 'pro' version of the PS4 together, and Nintendo is rumored to be doing something similar for Switch.  MS put out an 's' model and then put out the 'X' over a full year later.  So getting one model out there and then doing the "cheaper" and "pro" version together seems to be the way to go.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.