Author Topic: The Great Video Game Server and Services Shutdown Watch.  (Read 998 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Mop it up ate my Roomba :(
  • Score: -9962
    • View Profile
The Great Video Game Server and Services Shutdown Watch.
« on: January 31, 2019, 09:50:18 PM »
Not only did we mostly lose the Wii Shop Channel but we also lost online gameplay for Warhawk, Twisted Metal, PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale, and Sound Shapes thanks to Sony shutting down the servers.

I always wanted to play Warhawk but when I got a PS3 I was under the impression that the servers were already gone. I only found out they were still running when Sony announced they were shutting them down.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:55:55 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: The video game server shutdown watch.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:03:47 AM »
In a way, it's actually kind of amazing that Sony has kept PS3 servers online this long.  You hear stories of the limitations older consoles have on the online services they want to offer due to how the legacy systems are tied to it.  I suspect with February being the last month they offer games for the console on PS+ and the rumors churning about a possible PS5 announcement coming sooner than later, that we're not far from it. 

And in a way, Nintendo going first has given implicit permission for Sony/Microsoft to follow suit on how they did it - cutting the cord and offering people no way to re-download their games. 

Microsoft is the one currently poised to have the most user friendly approach to this given how they're handling backwards compatibility (and even reviving servers for some of the xbox 360 games).  Interviews with Phil Spencer have shown they're likely to be the first of the big three to be all-in on game streaming, too, so they have an incentive to have that approach.
3DS Friend Code: 0344-9310-1221
PSN: lol-monade
Twitter: @l0lmonade

Offline RABicle

• Captain of the USS Groinhammer
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 05:01:34 AM »
This is good. When games become scarce they pass into legend. See also: PT.
Pietriots  - Post ironic alt-gaming blaag.

Offline Steefosaurus

• Inadequate member
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:59:09 AM »
May 30th Bandai-Namco will shut down their free-to-play experiment Lost Reavers on Wii U. Microtransactions are possible until March 28th, after which you have 2 more months to enjoy whatever you purchased I guess.

Did anyone play this here ever? I might give it a go next month or in April before servers close down, maybe someone wants to join?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »
I played a little bit of lost reavers. As little as could be played.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Even my Roomba hates me
  • Score: -9666
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 07:29:14 PM »
I thought Lost Reavers shut down years ago? It was a badly executed mediocre concept. 4 online players charge into a "dungeon" and shoot enemies for loot then fight their way out.

Offline Mop it up

• I'll eat my cat
  • Score: 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 10:29:12 AM »
May 30th Bandai-Namco will shut down their free-to-play experiment Lost Reavers on Wii U. Microtransactions are possible until March 28th, after which you have 2 more months to enjoy whatever you purchased I guess.

Did anyone play this here ever? I might give it a go next month or in April before servers close down, maybe someone wants to join?
I downloaded this a long time ago but never actually tried it out. I'd be willing to give it a go with you sometime! I don't think you and I have played a game together, so that could be interesting.

Offline Steefosaurus

• Inadequate member
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:40:37 AM »
I downloaded this a long time ago but never actually tried it out. I'd be willing to give it a go with you sometime! I don't think you and I have played a game together, so that could be interesting.

Sure, sounds like a fun idea! I got to play it with Lemonade last weekend on their stream, and we had a surprisingly good time. Granted like 80% of the fun stems from hanging out with someone, as the game itself isn't mindblowing, but it's quite a bit better than I expected.
I'll shoot you a message on Discord to see how/if our timezones overlap.

Offline ShyGuy

• Even my Roomba hates me
  • Score: -9666
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 07:27:07 PM »
Facebook is down, and I can't play Farmville!

Offline Stratos

• Happy Meal Promotional Toy Expert
  • Score: 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »
Sign me up for the Lost Reavers playthrough. I tried it for a short bit, but never got too into it. Maybe we can find some time this weekend.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• I'll eat my cat
  • Score: 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 12:40:11 PM »
I'll shoot you a message on Discord to see how/if our timezones overlap.
Okies, just to confirm, I'm still Mop it up on the NWR Discord, so feel free to try to get my attention with the @ stuff if you see me online.

Online broodwars

• Mr. Rogers never fought the Vietcong...
  • Score: -983
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Video Game Server and Services Shutdown Watch.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 10:02:59 AM »
DriveClub's servers will shut down in 2020, and the game itself will be delisted from PSN later this year.

Shiny. Digital. Future.

https://kotaku.com/driveclub-servers-shutting-down-in-2020-game-delisted-1833689016
"There was a signature here. It's gone now."

Offline Spak-Spang

• Lose your cat so you don't have to eat it
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Video Game Server and Services Shutdown Watch.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 02:46:46 AM »
I mean, all online games will eventually die if they host the game on servers that a company maintains. 

If I was a business I would look for games that have a devoted fanbase that require online games, and offer to continue hosting games and servers for fans for a price/subscription.  Then try to collect as main variety of games that have gone down as possible.  This business model is probably only possible in the PC market place, but it could be interesting.