Author Topic: Disney bought Fox: Fox Shareholders Agreed to $71B Disney Buyout!!  (Read 68230 times)

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Disney bought Fox: X-Men & Fantastic 4 coming home for Summer 2019!!
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2018, 06:57:53 PM »
Neither one of them is a good outcome, this is a "lesser of two evils" situation.
But is it? Wouldn't Universal be a better steward of the Fox properties than Disney? Disney is going to ax everything that doesn't fit their culture, that's literally everything that isn't Marvel anyway. They get to collect fat royalty checks off back catalog but I am not convinced they keep the R rated stuff alive. Disney might not even keep Deadpool going.

If Disney buys Fox, then the shows ABC cancelled that move to Fox stay cancelled. If NBC buys Fox then the shows ABC canceled move to Fox and have a chance to flourish.

No, you are right there is no ideal situation I just think for REAL science fiction, Universal has the better resources than the House of Mouse. Remember Disney has NEVER successfully launched an original boys line, they just keep buying them up. They have Marvel and Star Wars, that's it for science fiction. I haven't seen any evidence they an do real, or good, sci-fi like Universal can.

I don't see Disney keeping Aliens alive, nor Avatar. You think they want a tentpole Sci-Fi blockbuster competing with Star Wars? Yeah they want the money it will generate but I don't want their watered down sci-fi at all.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2018, 07:40:35 PM »
Disney doesn't just "buy the Marvel characters" because they aren't for sale.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2018, 08:42:22 PM »
I know that. I am saying that would be a better deal. If they can't just get the Marvel characters there is NO WAY they are better stewards of the Fox catalog. Everything of value that isn't sports or Marvel is getting axed anyways. That is going to happen. Disney will not fund shows that do not reflect their corporate image.

The only benefit for Disney getting Fox is them taking ownership of the characters.
ALso, how do you do know the Marvel characters aren't for sale? We don't know what the shareholders will decide to do with two bidders on the table. There is every bit a realistic chance they sit all three parties down to negotiate. Nobody knows what will happen. Even I am speculating the negative of Disney getting the Aliens and Simpsons just like bNM is speculating how bad Comcast will be if they get more assets.

All we do know is fans want Disney to get the Marvel characters, Disney is not likely to keep anything around that they don't like and Universal makes better sci-fi movies.

All I was saying is the perfect outcome would be Disney buys the Marvel characters, let Comcast get the rest. Disney already has ESPN and ABC Sports, the government could block the sale altogether on the conflict of them taking over all those FOx sports markets.

In my opinion, Comcast is the better suitor. Even if it means the Fantastic Four and X-Men don't join the MCU, fine by me the MCU is too damn bloated as it is.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2018, 08:55:27 PM »
Just briefly....

Comcast controls the access to the internet for a large portion on the US.
Comcast faked consumer accounts and put through big money to kill Net Neutrality.
Net Neutrality keeps our internet a free and fair playground.
Comcast already strong armed Netflix to cough up more cash so its users could experience HD streaming consistently.
Their next plan was to sell tiered internet packages to access your favorite sites.
They also lobby to be the only game in town (like every other old school service provider) so they don't have to compete on speed or prices

And I'm only scratching the surface on their shady deals...

So what do you think Comcast will do once they get a ton of new content, channels, IP, studios?

Hint: it involves hostage taking of access.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2018, 09:28:20 PM »
I outlined content related reasons why I prefer Comcast, your rebuttal is controversial political rants based on your obvious personal stake.
I was just coming in here to point out ABC is discussing rebooting the Roseanne reboot without Roseanne.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:38:53 PM by segagamersteph »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2018, 01:49:57 AM »
controversial political rants based on my obvious personal stake.... ummm ok.

But you came into the Disney buying Fox thread to discuss Roseanne getting a reboot.
Not sure what that has to do with anything in this thread... but whatever.

The only benefit for Disney getting Fox is them taking ownership of the characters.
This is laughable. I'm not even sure where to begin. I didn't even want to get into this argument, as I still have yet to see a reasonable thought based in fact that supports Comcast being a better suitor for 21CF over Disney (since those are the only 2 options in play)... actually haven't even seen a good reason why Comcast would be a good suitor at all, let alone a better one than Disney.
Let's see where do I begin.....

If Disney buys 21CF they will likely do the exact same thing they did with Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm (the 3 previous studio acquisitions Disney made), let them run mostly autonomously but under the shadow of the Disney Marketing umbrella.

There might be a little reshuffling as certain people will now be reporting to someone direct at the top of Disney, but with the addition of the FX, FXX, National Geographic, a bag full of sports channels (to probably be rebranded under ESPN) and the Fox network channel (?) there will be plenty of room for all the shows that Fox already has in place.

what happens if Comcast takes control of all that....
well just look at the many examples of them already strong-arming the competition, like whey they upped the channel package price for NBC/Universal and related channels to other cable providers?
What do you think happens to your "AT&T/Charter/Verizon/Other random Cable provider" bill when Comcast now has all the NBC/Universal channels, all the Fox Channels and ALL those Fox Sports channels? What about the price of a Hulu subscription if you aren't an Xfinity member?

Trust me, you're looking at a very small piece of the puzzle when there is a much larger picture to be viewed if you just zoom out a little.

Disney is by far the better option over Comcast. Nothing good comes out of Comcast gaining control over so much content when they've shown numerous ways they choose to abuse that power of the people and other companies that wish to access it. And I didn't even mention all the SkyTv and other overseas stuff they were aiming for that are part of this Fox deal.

p.s.
I don't see Disney keeping Aliens alive, nor Avatar. You think they want a tentpole Sci-Fi blockbuster competing with Star Wars?
If you think Disney is gonna tell Fox not to make another Alien movie, or even crazier, that they are going to shelve Avatar, that just lets us all know that you have NO IDEA what you are even debating here. (p.s. Fox doesn't own Avatar... James Cameron does. JC decides when a new movie gets made, Fox has production and marketing rights to the movie, JC's studio still makes it)
Disney just spent something like a BILLION $$ on Pandora aka Avatarland at a Disney Adventure park. Part of the reason for buying Fox is to get those production rights to Avatar and double down on their investment. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/animal-kingdom/pandora-world-of-avatar/

and if Fox can get it together and produce good Predator and Alien movies, they will be more motivated to make them actually good and profitable as they have to live up to the Lucasfilm and Marvel examples set before them if they wish to stay autonomous.

p.s.s.
Why the $*&% is it such a terrible sin for Comcast to grow into an unstoppable corporate blog but it's okay for Disney to own a monopoly of our entertainment?

Please explain what you believe a monopoly to be, and how Disney owning all of Fox's IP to be a monopoly on anything? There is nothing stopping you from not watching anything Disney is producing and instead go enjoy your Comcast/Universal made Sci-Fi movies and Sony/[insert countless other current and future studios] made films, cartoons, TV shows and content.

p.s.s.
Also, you seem to operate under the assumption Disney is going to keep things going business as usual and save the Simpons, I don't, it does not fit their culture I see it getting axed. Along with Family Guy and anything in that sort of comedy. Disney doesn't need Fox, they are buying it for the control over the media industry.

A lot of things will change at Fox, such as:
- All their sports will move to ESPN and be under the new streaming service ESPN+
- All Marvel Properties will return to Marvel Studios (Deadpool will remain an R rated property as well... probably under the Fox banner... or whatever it becomes)
- Star Wars: ANH rights will return to Lucasfilm
- Avatar production rights will go directly to Disney
- Everything else that 21CF handles will still be handled by them, and Iger was even keen enough to specifically call out Fox Searchlight for their lower budget indie style movies to be kept fully intact as is.

oh and the Simpsons has been on forever. If it can't stay profitable/entertaining/interesting/funny, just let it die already, the creators will move onto something new that hopefully will be just as good if not better.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:32:13 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2018, 02:08:58 AM »
Disney has no control over access.  They have influence in their ability to negotiate with providers, but that's really it.  Comcast controlling media and your ability to access it is bad because they've demonstrated a willingness to abuse that power.

And Disney has no real reason to cancel the Simpsons.  Unless the ratings absolutely tank, keeping the Simpsons going gives them room to leverage the property in other ways.  Look at Star Wars.  They may have to fight Universal for the theme park rights, but it's probably worth it since Simpsons are under-leveraged at best.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2018, 02:43:48 AM »
I think I forgot to mention how big the acquisition of all the Fox Sports networks and regional channels are....

with all the FS1 channels available on ESPN+, it will literally become the #1 place to go for sports world wide (in the US atleast.. nationwide!?) OVERNIGHT.
I don't have the numbers, but I'm sure that alone is more potential money than Marvel or Lucasfim has brought in to date (combined?).

All the content and subscribers for SkyTV in Europe.... I don't know too much about this portion of the deal, but Fox I believe already owns a portion, and has a bid for the rest of it. Disney is prepared to cover that bid should Comcast not spoil it.... Although Comcast is really hungry for SkyTV as well, and that's a big part of why they want to spoil Disney's party here.

I believe there was also some assets in Australia that were kinda a big deal (to those in AUS atleast), so believe me this is much more than just buying characters.

Marvel getting the majority of their IP back is just what excites me the most, being the resident MCU Fanboy around here. But this is SOOOOO much larger than Marvel characters, Avatar production rights, The Simpsons and Family guy.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »
I know that. I am saying that would be a better deal. If they can't just get the Marvel characters there is NO WAY they are better stewards of the Fox catalog. Everything of value that isn't sports or Marvel is getting axed anyways. That is going to happen. Disney will not fund shows that do not reflect their corporate image.

ALso, how do you do know the Marvel characters aren't for sale? We don't know what the shareholders will decide to do with two bidders on the table. There is every bit a realistic chance they sit all three parties down to negotiate. Nobody knows what will happen. Even I am speculating the negative of Disney getting the Aliens and Simpsons just like bNM is speculating how bad Comcast will be if they get more assets.

All we do know is fans want Disney to get the Marvel characters, Disney is not likely to keep anything around that they don't like and Universal makes better sci-fi movies.

All I was saying is the perfect outcome would be Disney buys the Marvel characters, let Comcast get the rest. Disney already has ESPN and ABC Sports, the government could block the sale altogether on the conflict of them taking over all those FOx sports markets.

In my opinion, Comcast is the better suitor. Even if it means the Fantastic Four and X-Men don't join the MCU, fine by me the MCU is too damn bloated as it is.

I said opinion as in this is how I see it. No need to call my intelligence into question. I see it different than you.

Moving the Fox stuff to ESPN and eliminating COMPETITION IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF A MONOPOLY THEY ALREADY OWN ABC, WHO ELSE ISD OING SPORTS NOW AFTER THIS DEAL? NOBODY!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »
CBS, NBC (Comcast), TBS (Time Warner)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2018, 01:07:04 PM »
Also, I'm pretty sure this deal only includes Fox's regional sports networks. Disney wouldn't get Fox Sports 1 and other national networks.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2018, 02:50:17 PM »
The buyouts affect things of real overwhelming importance than some superheroes and the continuation of the Simpsons isn't a consideration. I am sorry if people seem to be dog piling you but your opinion about entertainment is moot and irrelevant given the real stakes.

The mergers and how they happen will shake the very foundations of American internet infrastructure and how you interact with it at all levels. The impact can be large enough to concern foreign interests and governments in deciding whether they are willing to shape their bit of the internet according to this experiment.

Net neutrality is fundamental to the internet, it is part of what makes the internet the internet. It is inescapably political in America as policy isn't driven by technical requirements by experts in the relevant field, but by parties not interested in the public good instead look to profit and plunder to everyone's detriment under the cover of farcical ideology.

For everybody this must be the overriding factor. People aren't engaging in political rants, they are statements of the real consequences of immense importance.

As far as entertainment goes if you put out **** people will walk away no matter how strong your brand or how many connected IP you hold. Look at Star Wars and how people are happily walking away from it, even rejoicing it is burning down to spite the creators releasing such farcical products. MCU face the same dangers no matter how many x-men they have.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »
Pile on all you want, you know I am used to it. But you are wrong, there are NO STAKES as you claim, the internet existed for over 30 years before there was net neutrality. End of discussion. You can say that it isn't political all you want but it clearly is.

What is at stake? Fox doesn't own ANY infrastructure whatsoever, how does Comcast buying them give them more infrastructure?
You're not familiar with how the government works obviously. If there is real issues with one company controlling the content and the content delivery they will just break it up, I have faith that will take place long before the internet apocalypse from removing a policy that ONLY EXISTED FOR 3 YEARS anyways.
What are the "real stakes" all I read from you is an entitled claim you should have access to other people's content without having to pay market fair prices for it.
If you want to use toll road do you deserve or are you entitled to a free pass because you think it is unfair someone with more money than you can afford to pay the toll prices? No of course not, if you do leave this thread because that is a political divide not worth breaking.
Yes I fully expected to be piled on, there is a long history of people of a certain political persuasion using scare tactics and threats to silence others with opposing views.

I brought up Roseanne because it sure as hell is relevant. I mentioned they would cancel the Simpsons (and Family Guy plus who knows whatelse) doesn't fit their culture. They don't care if it makes money, Roseanne was the highest rated show out there, it was a FREE ATM that directly deposited cash into ABC. They canceled it over a tweet.

Even if they don't cancel the Simpson's, which I ONLY brought up because it was defended earlier as Disney being better at managing them than Fox, which I think is wrong and false.

Again, what are the real stakes? You have to pay more money for your internet? How is that bad? You should have to pay more for those things. You're going to pay more for movie tickets once Disney controls 90 percent of the blockbuster movie slate. They already own 75 percent of it as is. Deadpool had a REAL impact on the sales of Solo, as of right now Deadpool is a competing property that allowed the free market to hurt a Disney property and make money for their competition.
If Deadpool had belong to Disney, then there would be no impact on Star Wars, Disney would shrug it off as they owned the whole damn market they get all the money anyways.
Back when the Studios did control the theaters the government did force them to break apart. Why do you think that won't happen here? See I know why it is, fundamental differences in political ideologies. You say my opinion doesn't matter.

It's not just my opinion, it's based on facts. The fact is they buy Fox they get more content. So what? AS of right now Universal might as well not even exist, outside of Jurassic Park what tentpole blockbusters do they have? As of right now it's Disney competing against Fox with Universal and Sony fighting for the scraps. Even Sony had to play with Disney over Spider-Man. Sony would have been better off flipping Disney and the MCU the bird.

Other than YOU personally having to pay more for access to content, as the free market should dictate, what is the real impact?
Disney controlling everything means they will ruin the Simpons if they don't cancel it. They will not do Sci-Fi as good as Fox or Universal. They will strong arm the theaters and they will have leverage over Comcast. If it goes the other way Comcast gains no leverage over Disney. Disney gets all the power and leverage and consumers suffer, if Disney gets Fox.

If Comcast gets fox, let me be clear it's not ideal either, it's just less worrisome than if Disney does.

You just dismiss my opinion because of who I am. You don't care I am educated on this, you dismiss my opinion based on my political view. You don't care I work in the media business and I know at least as much as you about this, not claiming I know more.

You dismiss my views because you assume your unfounded fears of an internet apocalypse that never happened for the 35+ years BEFORE your beloved controversial policy existed carries more weight than my rational realization that the sky isn't falling.
You also don't see ABC/FOX joining forces would give Disney too much leverage when it comes to bidding on games, or even the Super Bowl? (Yes *I* recognize NBC getting the same leverage is also bad like I said it's not ideal) but. you, me, nobody on here knows if the government is even going to approve this deal. FOx might just have to spin off into a separate company and nobody buys it.

What *I* know is the government stepped in when Comcast was going to gain control of Hulu and they put a stop to that. I know they will break them up if they get to powerful. I am not worried they will get too powerful because history has shown higher forces will stop them. So yes your fears are unfounded but I didn't dismiss them, or you out right as stupid, or belittle you.

I also am well aware Disney can, and does, work with other companies to, their advantage, to better their parks. Using that a proof they won't cancel the Simspons or ruin Avatar is silly. Who cares if they allow Cameron to make Avatar if they force him to tie it into the MCU? I care. But that's it. The truth is NONE of this really matters, you are wrong the stakes are in your head.
All that really matters is one "evil corporation" is bidding against another for the assets of a third.

You are also wrong in how it will affect me. I have Dish network., Which, I am sure you know, can be accessed in EVERY SINGLE market Comcast serves and they offer broadband internet, so Comcast has competition anyways, you fail lets end this now before ugly things get said.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:34:15 PM by segagamersteph »

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »
Just briefly....

Comcast controls the access to the internet for a large portion on the US.

No they don't that is a flat out lie. Every single market Comcast exists in they have competition. There is always a local wireless provider, ATT/Verizon/T Mobile; there is a land line phone company; Frontier, Verizon, etc; there is terrestrial satellite operators, Dish Network and DirectTV, and most of the time a small, local cable company desperate for customers. They control nothing.

Comcast faked consumer accounts and put through big money to kill Net Neutrality.Net Neutrality keeps our internet a free and fair playground.
Those are political arguments. Net Neutrality only existed for 3 years. The internet worked fine before it and hey looks like it's working fine now without it.

Comcast already strong armed Netflix to cough up more cash so its users could experience HD streaming consistently.
SO what? I have a web server, if I want faster, higher bandwidth I have to pay for it, why can't Netflix pay for it too? I mean they are the ones clogging the lines why shouldn't they have to pay for it?

Their next plan was to sell tiered internet packages to access your favorite sites.Was it? Source? I am not going to argue good or bad, just I want a source saying they admitted to doing or wanting to do this.
Second, so? They charge more money for HBO and CNN right now, so what? You want content you should pay for it.

They also lobby to be the only game in town (like every other old school service provider) so they don't have to compete on speed or prices
But they are never the only game in town. They have direct competition in every single operation.

And I'm only scratching the surface on their shady deals...
No, all you are doing is showing your bias. Especially using the word shady. It demonstrates your political slant. I don't see anything shady, I see businesses competing in the corporate world using their assets to their personal advantage, something they are well within their rights to do.

So what do you think Comcast will do once they get a ton of new content, channels, IP, studios?

Hint: it involves hostage taking of access.
There was a time when the studios, which there were fewer than we have now, owned directly the theaters and the government broke them up. What you call hostage taking I call free market.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2018, 04:11:03 PM »

what happens if Comcast takes control of all that....
well just look at the many examples of them already strong-arming the competition, like whey they upped the channel package price for NBC/Universal and related channels to other cable providers?
What do you think happens to your "AT&T/Charter/Verizon/Other random Cable provider" bill when Comcast now has all the NBC/Universal channels, all the Fox Channels and ALL those Fox Sports channels? What about the price of a Hulu subscription if you aren't an Xfinity member?

Trust me, you're looking at a very small piece of the puzzle when there is a much larger picture to be viewed if you just zoom out a little.

Wrong, you are just biased and I am trying to be reasonable. So what if they charge more? Your entire argument is based on entitlement. You act like you are owed content to you, I disagree. Content costs money to produce they have a right to charge for it. They have a right to charge a premium for it. HBO costs extra. I am sure you have no problem paying extra for HBO because you want access to the titties. You want titties you have for it. If you want Simpsons you have to pay extra for it, I see nothing wrong with that. I see the market doing what it is supposed to.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
You keep saying net neutrality has only been around for three years, but that's a pretty disingenuous argument. Net neutrality was the de facto standard of the internet for most of its existence. It only became written into the law once providers started violating the principle that had been in place the whole time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2018, 04:15:19 PM »
You keep saying net neutrality has only been around for three years, but that's a pretty disingenuous argument. Net neutrality was the de facto standard of the internet for most of its existence. It only became written into the law once providers started violating the principle that had been in place the whole time.
Times change. The market changes. The world changes. I think you are over stating it. Maybe you forgot what it was like when you had to go through AOL or Compuserve to get to the internet. No, we have more choices now than we did then. I have Firefox onmy computer and I refuse to install Chrome.

Comcast, HughesNet, Time Warner, they have NO SAY in which web browser I use. AOL mandated I use their browser.

There is a reason Compuserve and AOL are long gone. Because the free market refused to be bullied by them. The free market will prevail again if Comcast gets too powerful. Period.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:17:27 PM by segagamersteph »

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »
Now we're one step closer into arguing content rights over entitlements. This topic cannot be discussed without it getting political.

Not if we go beyond talking who owns the Marvel characters, which I tried to keep it limited to.
It is ideology. I believe I proved that. Now can we get back to talking about a Fantastic Four movie directed by Stephan Spielburg and forget about who is unwilling to do their research in finding an alternative provider?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2018, 04:22:09 PM »
Net neutrality has always been implied and worked as the standard, a principle, the foundation, the goal, the status quo until of late as companies seek to exploit this lack of rules hence why it had to be implemented formally. Previously the political environment was resistant enough to exploitation despite the lack of rules however this is no longer true.

American internet already suffers from very exploitive market manipulation, just because it is your "normal" it doesn't mean it is right or dictated by so called open market forces.

Virtually everywhere else fibre to the door or steps to greater access and speeds is the standard. Not being forced to sign up for unwanted services is the standard. Not having your internet being restricted in anyway is the standard. Not paying unreasonable prices is the standard. Having access to more than one viable provider with the same performance is standard. It is provided for no different than power or water or the trash pickup.

In some places access is considered a right and efforts taken to provide it for free much like sustenance, shelter, power, knowledge, healthcare, liberty and life for those without as it is that fundamental to how humanity has changed. When I mean free, I mean free from interference also. Facebook had offered "free" access to India but on the condition that it restricted what sites could be accessed and it was rejected.

That is the standard.

I honestly 110% don't know or care about your political leanings. This applies to every single person in this forum no matter how heated it gets, we have always walked away a little wiser. People take great pains not to reveal this nor do they seek it and for that I thank them. If nothing else it saves me the trouble of forgetting.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »
Now we're one step closer into arguing content rights over entitlements. This topic cannot be discussed without it getting political.

Not if we go beyond talking who owns the Marvel characters, which I tried to keep it limited to.
It is ideology. I believe I proved that. Now can we get back to talking about a Fantastic Four movie directed by Stephan Spielburg and forget about who is unwilling to do their research in finding an alternative provider?

You're the one calling people entitled and claiming it's about politics. You're the one saying passive aggressive bullshit and making untrue claims about internet history and how widespread true competition in internet providers. If you don't like the way this conversation is going, you are free to not come into this thread.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »
AOL didn't mandate you use their browser, you just had to use it to connect to the internet. Back when I had AOL I would just connect, minimize, and use IE.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »
iirc AOL wasn't the internet in the beginning. While it ran over the same basic infrastructure AOL was restricted to it's Intranet. It wasn't until later that you could access the open internet via an AOL connection like you meantoned which wasn't standard practice either.

Dialup internet is normally handled at the system level where the OS called the provider not a separate application. If such functionality was missing the ISP would provide without charge completely neutral third party software to do this.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »

You're the one calling people entitled and claiming it's about politics. You're the one saying passive aggressive bullshit and making untrue claims about internet history and how widespread true competition in internet providers. If you don't like the way this conversation is going, you are free to not come into this thread.

No, I was pointing out how it is a political issue and using the extremist view to illustrate that. I was proving that if one person held one political view they would assume people opposing them were entitled. I wasn't directly accusing anyone. Passive aggressive fine, better than dogpiling on the unpopular opinion. Which it is just opinion.

Again it is political and I was proving that by pointing out the arguments used in opposition. I just wanted to talk about the Marvel characters and look back I didn't dismiss anyone as ignorant or flippantly call someone stupid like the person I reported. No sir, I remained civil. I am still civil. I am not calling people names or losing my temper. I am defending my position and my points are being dismissed as inferior to the opinions of others.

Again, all of the anti-Comcast claims are based on speculation. Things that cannot be proven

True or false, if you have Comcast in your neighborhood you have access to Dish Network or Direct TV as an alternative for TV?

Maybe you are not willing to switch from Comcast to Dish or DirecTV but you certain do have the choice.

I used the word entitled because it fits. The argument is based on a feeling people are automatically owed faster internet, and all those things Oohboy mentioned, using words like standard practice, status quo, etc., In their view having to pay extra for those services is deemed unacceptable and that is a political ideology. There is even a word for it. I chose the least offensive term I could think of.
There are two political views on this subject. One that opposes government interference and one that expects it. I won't make assumptions about your political views but if you deny those are political arguments then you are in denial.
If someone doesn't like Comcast they certainly do, in 100 percent of the cases, have access to an alternative. Just because that person doesn't like the alternative doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Thus the negative term was used. Why? Okay I guess I will spell it out.

If you live in City A where Comcast offers 100 meg speeds of internet and their competition is Hughs Net offering 50 meg speeds and your argument is I shouldn't have to choose between paying more money for the faster speed, that is an entitlement attitude meaning they believe they are entitled to faster internet but not required to pay extra for it. I am not talking about welfare or healthcare here, we are talking about a belief that internet is a "basic right" or something (correct me if I am wrong that is the way it comes off to me) if that is not the argument, then what is the issue?
Again, just because you do not think Dish or DirecTV count as true alternatives doesn't change the fact they exist and offer a comparable service. Do you sometimes have to pay extra for certain channels? Okay, but so?

If you want HBO you have to pay extra for it. There was a time when you had to pay extra for the Disney channel and Discovery too. So technology evolved. Now we have access to more channels, more internet, more services and some people make it sound like the provider of their choice is their only option.

You do know you could get internet from other providers and cut the cord too right? There is YouTube, there is IPTV, Playstation has an option, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, those are alternatives to Comcast. (Except for their stake in Hulu)
Why should I have to leave? I was the one who was told my opinion isn't valid and attacked for daring to express an opposing opinion.
You are flat wrong. I did not insult anyone, I was insulted and as typical the same gang of bullies jumped on me and I knew it would happen that is why I edited my first post, that is why *I* stayed out of the politics until it was forced on me with not one, not two, but four different posters, the moderator whose job is to enforce the rules being one of them.
The very fact someone views it differently proves it is a divisive and controversial political argument. The rule wasn't broken by me, I DEFENDED my political views which I shouldn't have had to do the offending post should have been deleted and my post dodging the politics shouldn't have been attacked with accusations my opinion doesn't matter.

I, am sorry, for getting defensive. But knowing the history and everything else, I would expect that you would have agreed it is a political matter because it gets discussed as a political topic and there is this

The impact can be large enough to concern foreign interests and governments in deciding whether they are willing to shape their bit of the internet according to this experiment.That is a political statement. Just because you agree with it and dismiss anyone whose opinion is different doesn't make it less of a political statement.

Let me demonstrate how.

One ideology, thinks the United States, a sovereign world super power, has some underlying interest in placating foreign powers,The other ideology believes the Unite States, as a sovereign world super power, has no obligation to take world affairs into consideration.

I didn't state which ideology I subscribe to. I merely pointed out it is, in fact, political based. This isn't the same as arguing should Nintendo release a new F Zero or is the N64 Mini a good idea or not, those are politically neutral discussion, discussing corporate mergers then getting into debates over the merits, or lack thereof, of a government policy that was, by some, politicized.

It's not the same as saying, anyone who subscribes to ideology A is a, insert insult here, I didn't do that, *I* didn't, initially, dismiss anyone's opinion.
Again, is in't it bad form to tell the person with the unpopular opinion they should leave instead of saying, listen folks this person was right to express their concerns and maybe we should respect that instead of further antagonizing.

Instead you point out my fault and dismiss the two people who dismissed me. Business as usual. Again, I get it, they are your friends you tend to side with them and only enforce the rules when someone blows up. I am not going to be bullied into exploding. I am not going to be baited into throwing insults or using harsh language.

What I am going to do is say in this case, all I did was have an unpopular opinion, defended it and was told my opinions don't matter.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »
I'm going to predict the future. Disney buying Fox doesn't matter much to consumer in the long run. Fox has limited now second tier comic properties and a handful of interesting sci-fi properties that experience diminishing returns. The only thing these diminishing returns properties can do is experience better management.

If consumers become unhappy with this they can still play with sticks and rocks outside or read a book inside.

The market creates room. More people are speaking English. VHS was amazing.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:16:26 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2018, 07:29:38 PM »
Fine, I guess Dish Network doesn't exist. I must have been hallucinating.

Just that, explain to me how Dish doesn't compete with Comcast? Explain to me how a person who is unhappy with Comcast, if this is true why aren't more people leaving them? They must be doing something right.

If even 10 percent of their customers switched to Dish they would take notice. I seem to remember the internet being all up in arms over Time Warner cable being garbage, (usually based on customer service or not liking the pricing) which, okay even if you don't think is a political argument fine I'll side step that and remind those same people Time Warner cable is no longer the "enemy" it's now Comcast.

I ask why? Oohboy made complaints. I dismissed them based on his dismissal of mine.

We cannot debate those topics without getting into political discussion.

Because it is ideology.