Author Topic: Baten Kaitos  (Read 25249 times)

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« on: July 21, 2003, 08:07:37 AM »
IGN has posted information about Baten Kaitos. The game is being devoloped by Monolith and will be released in Decmeber (in Japan) through Namco. The games sounds very interesting and the screen shots look promising. What are the chances of seeing this game released in the US in 2004?
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: Baten Kaitos
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 08:25:13 AM »
Yep.  There are at least two other threads about it around here.

Personally, I think that the game has a lot to do with the legend described in Xenogears when two angels with a single wing were shown in the form of a giant statue.  I am hoping that Baten Kaitos is the telling of that legend.  If it is, I encourage you to buy this game.  If it isn't, buy it anyways.  Monolith knows how to make an RPG fan happy.

I am entirely unsure if the game is coming to the US, but if it isn't, I will import, and read every 5th word in a hope to understand what's going on.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 08:55:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
Yep.  There are at least two other threads about it around here.

Sorry about that. I looked for another thread (albeit, very briefly) and I didn't see one.

Personally, I think that the game has a lot to do with the legend described in Xenogears when two angels with a single wing were shown in the form of a giant statue.  I am hoping that Baten Kaitos is the telling of that legend.  If it is, I encourage you to buy this game.  If it isn't, buy it anyways.  Monolith knows how to make an RPG fan happy.

I am entirely unsure if the game is coming to the US, but if it isn't, I will import, and read every 5th word in a hope to understand what's going on.

I am not usually an RPG fan, but there is something about this game that really caught my attention. I have never played the Xenogear games, so I am not familiar at all with the story. Related or not it would make no difference to me.

I am wondering why IGN is making such a big deal over this game if it wouldn't be making it's way to the US eventually? I have never imported a game because all of the games I ever wanted were released in the US, but I might have to for this one.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 09:22:06 AM »
Xenogears was the best RPG.  Ever.  It was an RPG for Playstation that featured many different themes, dealing with many issues that a lot of people don't like to see.  It's an anime style mecha game where much of the combat is done fromw within a "Gear", which is a giant walking battletank.  Personally, I am not a fan of mechs, but the game was simply perfect in every way.  Xenogears became Xenosaga on the PS2, and the story will be retold in 6 episodes, the way it was meant to be.  (Xenogears is part 5 of Xenosaga.)  I have not had a chance to play Xenosaga Episode 1 yet, but it's very high among my list of "must-play" games.

To this point, the Xeno games are the only ones that Monolith has made.  That's why I immediately thought of the story from Xenogears when I saw the first previews of this game.  The reason IGN is making a big deal of this game is simply because Baten Kaitos is Nintendo's answer to Xenosaga.  This game is going to go a HELL of a long ways in satisfying Nintendo fans who like RPGs.

I just recently started a new game of Xenogears, and I am almost at the part where the story of the angels is told... When I get there, I can take a series of screenshots and post them in this thread to see if anyone agrees with me.  I don't think that doing so would spoil anything about either game.

Offline Gup

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 12:36:01 PM »

Xenogears was the best RPG.  Ever.

. . . not true. . . so not true. It's your favourite RPG, not the best RPG.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 12:39:58 PM »
I have played a hell of a lot of RPGs.  Chrono Trigger was long my favorite, but Xenogears was the one that finally took it down.  If you can think of a better RPG, I would like to play it.  

Offline Gup

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 12:50:22 PM »
Well, my personal favourites are Suikoden II, Tales of Eternia, Final Fantasy VII, and Grandia II.

I'm not trying to hate on Xenogears, but I cannot have people walking around calling it the best RPG ever.  I REPEAT CANNOT!

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 12:57:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Gup

I'm not trying to hate on Xenogears, but I cannot have people walking around calling it the best RPG ever.  I REPEAT CANNOT!

What do you mean "you cannot have people calling it the best RPG"?  You are not God.  Grey Ninja has a right to his opinion.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 12:58:56 PM »
I suppose it would irritate you to know that it is my 2nd favorite game of all time, right behind Zelda: Wind Waker, and Final Fantasy VII doesn't even place in my top 15?  

I have Tales of Eternia, but I haven't gotten around to playing it.  Grandia II PC costs too damn much, and I have yet to find a copy of Suikoden II.  Of the ones you mentioned, Suikoden II is the one that might be the one that actually strikes a nerve with me.  If I ever find a copy, I will let you know.  the problem is that I don't have much time to myself these days.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 01:10:21 PM »
So I guess people actually dig this card system?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Odin

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 01:19:33 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think that Final Fantasy VII is the best....

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to Baten Kaitos, and Tales of Phantasia.

Anyone else not looking forward to FF:CC?
This has been a post by ODIN.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 01:28:32 PM »
Nah.  Go easy on the guy.  To him, it's like as if he told me that his favorite RPG was FF7 or FF9.  

Offline Gup

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2003, 01:32:57 PM »

Nah.  Go easy on the guy.  To him, it's like as if he told me that his favorite RPG was FF7 or FF9.  

Huh?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2003, 02:19:21 PM »
I am looking foward to FF:CC alot.  It's gonna a be a blast, at least in multi player mode.

As for RPG's, I don't play much.  I have FF7 and 8 for Playstation, and my FF 7 disk is defective (unless it takes a REALLY long time to load), so FF8 is automatically better, and Ilike it alot, especially the card game Triple Triad.  I want Crono Cross and Xenogears, along with Metal Gear Solid, but I won't have the money if I get Mario Golf, which I seem to be anticipating a lot more than other people.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Odin

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2003, 02:32:09 PM »
Well to me it seems to be a Final Fantasy game in name only. Not much of a story, connectivety, no experience, mission based, no summons? Doesn't sound like a "Final Fantasy" game to me. Tthat's why I'm getting TOS, and Baten Kaitos. I want story, I want single player, there's plenty of multiplayer games out there. FF:CC just looks like a "suped" up Gauntlet with out the exp points.
This has been a post by ODIN.

Offline Gup

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2003, 02:37:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Odin
Well to me it seems to be a Final Fantasy game in name only. Not much of a story, connectivety, no experience, mission based, no summons? Doesn't sound like a "Final Fantasy" game to me. FF:CC just looks like a "suped" up Gauntlet with out the exp points.

Completely agreed, the only relations are the enemies and probably the item's and weapon's name

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2003, 03:29:54 PM »
I agree with you both, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun.  I play game that are fun, and the name doesn't really matter to me (although if a Mario or Zelda game comes out, I automatically buy it).
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Gup

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2003, 04:07:40 PM »
I'm buying it too. Just wanted to get some facts straight.

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2003, 04:26:56 PM »
I'll get FF:CC if it's not too short. That's a problem that's been plaguing a lot of Nintendo's recent games.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2003, 04:28:28 PM »
Except it's not made by Nintendo, it's made by Square.

Anyway, Baten Kaitos looks like just another Japanese-style RPG, except it's card based, so it's going to be boring. Didn't developers take a cue from Lost Kingdoms in that if we want to play with cards we'll play Magic, or Pokemon? Making battles card-based in RPG's has gotta be the stupidest idea ever.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2003, 05:24:02 PM »
I'm no more excited than you are.  I also thingks the darn cards take up valuable presentation space.

"We have this fantastic story, characters, artwork, and soundtrack."

"How do you attack?"

"You throw cards."

D'oh!!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2003, 06:27:09 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Except it's not made by Nintendo, it's made by Square.

Anyway, Baten Kaitos looks like just another Japanese-style RPG, except it's card based, so it's going to be boring. Didn't developers take a cue from Lost Kingdoms in that if we want to play with cards we'll play Magic, or Pokemon? Making battles card-based in RPG's has gotta be the stupidest idea ever.

Well Mouse its nice to know that you can completely write off the game without even playing it. I'd expect that from an X-box fan boy but not you. Baten Kaitos may completely reek, it maybe be the best rpg ever but none of us can say either way until we at least play the game. From what I've seen its nice to see a GC RPG with a really nice graphics. The graphic artist should pat themselves on the back based on what I've seen thus far. I'll reserve judgement on the battle system until I hear more and give the game a try.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2003, 07:00:40 PM »
Sorry I'm having real issues posting to forums lately.

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2003, 07:02:16 PM »
Sorry delete this

Offline Gup

• View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2003, 07:20:12 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker

There's ALWAYS an excuse to hate on a game. I still don't like the character designs, but I'd still pick this up if it releases outside of Japan.