Author Topic: Not a hater but...is BotW gonna suck?  (Read 15596 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Is Zelda Wii U gonna suck?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 05:49:14 PM »
With aiming controls that weren't even as good as the ones tacked onto a GameCube that would become a certain wii launch game called twilight princess.
We can agree to disagree.

Ian, I felt that the decision to be open-world was based on the idea that it couldn't be done on older hardware. Now, I think integration of unique platform elements like touch screen can come occur organically, so that's where we'll just have to call it a day.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 09:45:18 PM »
Apologies if I sounded at all harsh, Mikey. I know you're not a big handheld person, but I think you would truly enjoy A Link Between Worlds. It features the same overworld as A Link to the Past, but the transition into actual Zelda gameplay is very fast, and the game doesn't beat you over the head with story. Alas, you'll have to consider it once it comes out for a home virtual console.

Now, in terms of front-end padding and emphasis on dialogue, I think Skyward Sword was really the only instance of it becoming a nuisance. But, as I said, Ian's argument can go both ways. Do we excuse Zelda for its franchise power when the games aren't "as good as we hope"? Maybe, but I think we're so critical of Zelda because it has such a stellar track record, and that remains constant today. If you aren't fond of Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks, I understand your sentiment, but the touch controls in those games were not bad. They were polished and took mechanics from previous titles and made them work, and I hardly see issue with that. Skyward Sword set the bar for motion controls in video games. It's not likely someone will ever attempt to surpass that bar, which I personally think is a shame, but the integration proved that you could make a full game with motion control. Even if you dislike those games, its impossible to consider them poorly made. They feature steady performance, rarely broken gameplay, and the traditional elements of Zelda.

I know people want to play video games the way they want to. I personally think Skyward Sword is the only case where I felt some controls were integrated for the sake of having motion controls, and even then, I believe that it is still a fine game. In the DS titles, they felt largely unobtrusive to me, and I think that's an example of that sort of game design working. With Zelda Wii U, there is no gimmick. It seems to be taking what they have learned over the past several Zelda titles (touchscreen maps, gyro aiming, non-linear progression, travel management, etc) and integrating them into a larger world. That means they have more time to focus on what is compelling about open-world games and Zelda games. So I have high hopes for the game, but I'm also not ridiculously invested in it being the greatest video game or even Zelda game of all time. I try not to care that much.

No need to apologize Evan, I wasn't taking anything you said as suggesting that I needed to play the handheld. What I was suggesting was looking at the innovations in the handheld series is not proof they won't make mistakes with the console versions as the handhelds have been regarded as superior for a while now, and I was saying that I enjoyed all the handheld Zelda's that I played. I would love to get A Link Between Worlds, and I might have mislead on the whole 3DS XL thing, I will get one eventually but not until it comes down in price. Unless NX is a portable and fully b/c with 3DS and can hook up to a TV then I will just get that, assuming it's not over priced at launch.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 11:40:04 PM »
Oh, I would definitely wait for an NX announcement. If it's 3DS compatible I would argue that it will also be DS compatible as well, and I think that would be a much, MUCH better investment than a normal 3DS as of right now.

I was apologizing more because of my statements about being unable to understand you earlier.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 08:45:31 PM »
This was my attempt at a troll thread and it's full of reasoned dialogue and apologies. Son of a bitch.

My real thoughts are that Zelda could be awful and I'd still giggle with excitement when I hear the opening jingle.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »
I'm going to giggle with excitement the first time I get to zoom out on that map in the GamePad and I see the full world.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 11:12:50 PM »
I'm going to giggle when I try running from one end of the world to the other.

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 01:36:58 PM »
I decided to revisit the Zelda games I have at my disposable to see if I can get excited for this. I am going to give Wind Waker HD a second chance and I am considering setting money aside for Twilight Princess HD. Quick question though, any news of Skyward Sword coming to Wii U, either a straight port on the e-shop or a proper Wii U HD remaster? Also are there Zelda DS games on VC or is that a realistic possibility they will release those prior to Zelda Wii U to build some hype? Or do they even need to build hype or will everyone just bet excited to see a screen shot after so long of hearing nothing?
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 06:30:07 PM »
I think there were leaked listings of Skyward Sword for VC, so I'd hold out on that. Sad to say, but the VC price for the DS titles will probably be cheaper than the physical copie of the game when they drop.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »
BUMP

We're less than a month away from a game that is getting GOAT buzz; I think it's important to bring down our collectrive hype to moderate levels. So let's list off some things we noticed that we're not excited about.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 10:28:29 PM »
-Fighting tooth and nail alongside my steed, only to have it die after a hard-fought victory
-The emphasis on environmental noise instead of music tracks
-Having guardians roaming the world and kicking my ass, repeatedly
-The Assassin's Creed syndrome- climb to a high place, mark everything on my map, paraglide down and start exploring

Ah, who am I kidding, my excitement for this game is through the roof.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 12:24:00 AM »
-The emphasis on environmental noise instead of music tracks

I thought about this one as well. I think they went with a more subdued overworld theme because of how large the world is. It might get annoying hearing the same theme over and over again. But yeah, still totally excited.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 12:35:29 AM »
Hey, bump immunity expired Sunday. That's a 0% warning to Stogi! I just wanted to say that I think this thread title needs a "Not a hater but" to the start of it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »
Hey, bump immunity expired Sunday. That's a 0% warning to Stogi! I just wanted to say that I think this thread title needs a "Not a hater but" to the start of it.

"not a hater but" is the forum equivalent of "I'm not a racist, but".  By saying it, you are automatically a hater.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 12:45:44 PM »
-Tingle is the final boss
-no Malon
-pause screen map might not be as detailed as necessary
-haven't seen fishing or cuckoos yet
-so many button combos and functions will get confusing
-New Donk City temple doesn't make sense in a zelda game
-docked points from reviewers who keep getting stuck
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »
Not a racist, but I expected this thread to be about issues with the Wii U version specifically.  I decided to buy a Switch, but hopefully the Wii U version doesn't have long load times and pop-in because the Switch version became the focus.

My main concern is that the world will feel too empty.  I also hope that there is a streamlined way to handle side missions, since there will likely be a ton. However, as Assasin's Creed shows, quality is better than quantity.  It is easy for side missions to all fall into a couple categories and almost feel randomly generated.  Oh, and also, no timed missions.  I don't want to keep repeating a jaunt across the map because the soup got cold.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Not a hater but...is BotW gonna suck?
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
You guys and gals are an entertaining bunch, I tell ya.  ;D

Sorry I don't have anything notable to add, though.  :-[
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »
Jeez I was just kidding but... wow:

Watch the video interview below to learn more than you ever imagined about Miyamoto, Tingle, and New Donk City.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/02/08/51-questions-and-answers-about-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.aspx
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 06:28:29 PM »
Jeez I was just kidding but... wow:

Watch the video interview below to learn more than you ever imagined about Miyamoto, Tingle, and New Donk City.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/02/08/51-questions-and-answers-about-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.aspx

"What is the secret to happiness in life?"

"Enjoy everything." - Miyamoto

"Forget everything." - Aunoma

It's like they're brothers.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:52:47 PM by Stogi »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »
It's Link Link vs Like Like. It's canon now! Miyamoto has spoken.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 11:59:36 PM »
HAHHAHAHAHAHHHHHAAHAHAHHAAA