Author Topic: Fight on Goemon! (long story)  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Asimov

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Fight on Goemon! (long story)
« on: July 14, 2003, 08:07:13 PM »
I recently made a trip to my local videostore and after years of waiting I finally got up the nerve to bargain for some of their old games.  They never rented anymore so I thought, "What the heck, I might as well take them before some one else does."  I managed to haggle the manager out of six N64 games for $19.87.  Two of the six games were Mystical Ninja: starring Goemon, and Goemon's Great Adventure.  These are two awesome games, especially GGA!  If you can find 'em I definitely suggest taking a look at them!  They are extremely Japanese though, but that part of the allure.  I wonder if Konami would ever consider bringing back Goemon, (and that New Age drivel...)  I'd take Goemon over a lame Mickey Mouse game anyday.
We've been losing a lot of members due to a lack of "gimmicky features", but don't worry, true Nintendo Gallery fans know where it's at!

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Fight on Goemon! (long story)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 08:12:38 PM »
Oh yes, I loved Goemon 2 on the N64. BRILLIANT game! Two player co-op made it perfect in my mind.
The first one, the RPG-ish type one, I didn't really enjoy... Too much walking around barren landscapes. The robot fights were well done, though

I'd very much like to see the series continue on the GameCube. It seems to be the one series Konami sticks with Nintendo..
Hell, I'd love to see some of the classic SNES version ported to GBA, too!

Offline Ness_the_Mess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 08:15:39 PM »
I quite agree!  Once I was at my cousins house - he lived quite a wase from me - and he had borowed a friends N64 system.  Among the games was Goemons Great Adventure.  Possibly the greatest game ever for the system, including OoT and Super Mario.  True, the intense japanese culture and music can be a bit overwhelming, but bringing the series to 3D was ingenious, and the fights as the super robot were truly masterful.  If I could find this game, I would buy it on the spot.
EarfBOWND

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 08:21:13 PM »
i loved the first one..im always on the lookout for it..
the second one i never got a chance to play..i went to rent goemons great adventure a few weeks bakc and it was broke...damn hastings still ows me a refund
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 08:40:54 PM »
A new Goemon game for the PS2 is coming out in English from Working Designs.

It's taking quite a while, because not only did it take a while for WD to arm-twist Konami into leting them release the game, but then SCEA apparently got on their case about Goemon "not pushing the graphics of the PS2 enough", and didn't give them permission to release the game in America, since it would make the PS2 "look bad".

However WD did manage to get it through, and it apparently is coming out sometime now.

Victor Irelard (WD's president) has basically said that Goemon is part of their secret plot to get Konami to start giving up some of their more tightly-held unreleased properties.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Ness_the_Mess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 08:44:48 PM »
I suppose their 'secret plot' isn't so secret if you know about it (no offence)
EarfBOWND

Offline Asimov

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 09:46:08 PM »
That PS2 game you're talking about is exactly NOT the type of Goemon I wanted to see.  I looked at that about a year ago and almost vomited on my computer.  Teenaged Goemon?  No wacky Japanesey type humor?!  The original SD Goemon just has more charm IMO....
We've been losing a lot of members due to a lack of "gimmicky features", but don't worry, true Nintendo Gallery fans know where it's at!

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 02:26:54 PM »
Konami's screwed themselves up badly this year. They're keeping all of their big name brands for the PS2, heck, they're even screwing the Nintendo fans over. All of their franchises on the N64 and Game Boy are going to other systems. (Mostly PS2) Castlevania, NES, SNES, GB, N64, THEN PS2? What happened?

Sure Symphony of the Night isnt on any Nintendo system, but think about it, if theres a slew of Game Boy Advance titles, why no GCN version? Not to mention their titles arent doing as hot as they think. Sooner or later this company will bite the dust with its crackpot marketing team.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 09:36:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Bartman3010
Konami's screwed themselves up badly this year. They're keeping all of their big name brands for the PS2, heck, they're even screwing the Nintendo fans over. All of their franchises on the N64 and Game Boy are going to other systems. (Mostly PS2) Castlevania, NES, SNES, GB, N64, THEN PS2? What happened?

Nintendo got branded with the kiddy label, that's what happened. Mainstream gamers popped up out of nowhere, too, devouring PlayStation consoles and flicking the Nintendo's back because they were too cool for a console that had Mario and gameplay.

I'd do the the exact same thing if I head of Konami. Money is money. And money is found on the monster that is PS2.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 03:14:07 AM »
But last I checked, they havent been selling as many copies of their games as they should. But do they care? Probably not.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 04:46:15 AM »
The only good Konami have done for the Gamecube is MGS:TT with Nintendo and Silicon Knights......and Konami themselves ain't even making it!
Damn them!
Their support for N64 was better than for Gamecube!
Holy Magic Century, Rakuga kids, Goemon 1 and 2, ISS, NBA/NHL Pro, Track and Field, Castlevania and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness......

For Gamecube, it's Mickey Mouse..............
-_______________-
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Fight on Goemon! (long story)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2003, 06:45:46 AM »
The Geomon games made this generation are absolute crap compared to the Super NES version.  Now that was some good gaming
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gup

• View Profile
RE:Fight on Goemon! (long story)
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 06:57:00 AM »
I liked the N64's Goemon games.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c