Author Topic: Why no Pokemon RPG???  (Read 3173 times)

Offline DRJ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« on: July 07, 2003, 06:38:04 AM »
OK, now I hear people talking about a pokemon RPG game all the place. My question is why has there not even been an announcement that a game is in the works? Pokemon is extremely popular and pokemon ruby/saphire has sold something like 6.5 million total units. GCN has very few RPGs, and people want RPGs. So here's an idea for Nintendo, make a Pokemon RPG game. It would probably sell 5 million copies in a few month, so Nintendo has to know that there is a lot of money there. We get pokemon box? Pokemon collasium which looks ok. And pokemon snap part II or whatever. Come on. Give us what we want. We will give you $50 each.

I not really complaining. I love Nintendo. I just cant think of any reason why there would not even be an announced game for the cube. If anyone can think of a good reason why Nintendo would delay this or not make one at all let me know.  
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 07:30:17 AM »
Well there could be two reasons...One, they don't want to reveal anything just yet, or two, it doesn't even exist.  If the game IS in development I expect it to be very early in the process, so don't hope for any details for a while
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 07:40:17 AM »
There probably is a Pokemon RPG in the works, but I doubt we'll see it on GC, hopefully it'll be a GC2 launch tittle.  It could be the system's first killer app, so it'll sell systems.  Nintendo knows they have a hugely popular franchise that's know across the world, either it is in devolopment or Microsoft and/or Sony blinded Nintendo because they know that Pokemon would kill them off in a barrage of cute little characters.  

Release a Pokemon RPG for GC or GC2 Nintendo!!!

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
RE: Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 10:19:30 AM »
I don't know, I have a feeling that Nintendo has been working on this for a long time, and hopefully it comes out on the GC. I mean, everyone knows that a full 3-D Pokemon RPG if well done would sell millions instantly. So I think they are trying to make it as clean and precise as possible, and hopefully cel-shaded (try to incorparate people who are interested in the show). And if they market it right, they could feed the hype that's growing towards its next generation system, and hopefully one again when GC 2 comes out.

I expect something being playable, not show but playable, next year at E3.  
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 12:01:36 PM »
It is not in the wokrs now, nor will it be for a long time.

There are a few reasons why.

1) Because this game is massively large, if you wanted to include all the areas a player can travel. The game could easily take upto 3 discs if all the areas were included, indigo league, orange islands, johto league, and the advance league.

2) You would have to model over 250+ pokemon and set their attacks, blocks, movements, etc. Adding to developement time and much much more.

3) Traveling from area to area would come into question. How would you do it? Would it be like Gameboy games where you travel form place to place. If this was so, then you would have to develope very complex areas and accordingly to do it that way. But this could also get boring going from one area to another (like sailing in wind waker)

4) I'd expect this game to be a massive online game, where there is one world and people travel from one place to another, challenging others online.

This game is not as easy to make. Just look at Pokemon Stadium, it took a whole game just to have battles against eachother. YOu guys are asking for a HUGE MASSIVE WORLD

Offline Gup

• View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 02:33:39 PM »
Yup, Nintendo is pretty dumb at times.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline Cooolcorey

• View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 03:51:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Gup
Yup, Nintendo is pretty dumb at times.

Huh?

Offline Gup

• View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 07:48:11 PM »
They make stupid decisions.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 07:55:47 PM »
Actually business wise, what Nintendo is doing is very smart. They should keep Pokemon RPGs exclusive to the GBA, and Pokemon spinoffs on the GCN. You should be able to figure out why.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 09:16:15 PM »
I dont know but I'm nearly posotive I read somewhere that its been comfirmed that a gamecube pokemon rpg is in developement not too long ago.  Prob is that I dont have any idea where it was that I read it, aint sure if it was a magazine or online.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 02:22:26 AM »
A pokemon stadium game was announced, no RPG for the GCN.

Offline hashboygenius

• View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2003, 11:05:29 AM »
pokemon is ok but all the games on the gameboy were virtualy the same. i supose it would be cool to have a 3d pokemon red or sumthing on the gamecube
i hate boy bands  

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 05:36:13 PM »
Wouldnt it be better to just play the GBA games via the internet? Remember that the Game Boy Player can utilize all the parts of the GCN, even the modem/broadband adapter.

The real reason is that its too costly and too much of a juggle to have a server for prople to play constantly on and get teriffic speeds. It could boost sales for Nintendo, but they'd be losing a large sum of money at the same time. Sure, Microsoft has their X Box Live service and the PS2 threw in Online capabilities to copy everyone else. But they're losing money at the same time, and developers also dont have a happy face either.

For example, the X Box's Live service is all run on one server which is for Microsoft. They're funded by the players to continue the service that goes for $50 a year, and appearently the 3rd party developers are either getting very little or squat in return for their server.

Okay, to tell you the truth, thats just my guess, but they are definatley losing money over this online stuff.

However Nintendo did have some talk with Game Spy on having a dedicated Nintendo server, which could give us Mario Kart Double Dash online capabilities. But dont hold your breath.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2003, 05:37:19 PM »
Apes a poppin.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 05:54:15 PM »
Well if Nintendo really wanted to have a strong online thingy for the next system a Pokemon RPG Online game would be killer....

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Why no Pokemon RPG???
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 06:18:01 PM »
"Yup, Nintendo is pretty dumb at times. "

gup wheres your billions of dollars?
armchair execs think they know everything.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post