Author Topic: Seeking Help.  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Seeking Help.
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/14/northern-white-rhino-sudan-armed-guard-kenya_n_7059682.html
I was just wondering how people cope with the massive scale of human influence upon the natural world- whether you believe in certain scientific theories or not, there is a wealth of evidence in regards to the callousness we treat our planet with in exploiting its resources, etc. Is it satisfying to be the dominant species on Earth, to envision a future where you try to describe an animal or environment but simply cannot find the words because it no longer exists? Is it okay to succumb to the mundane existence of life and worry about nothing when there is so much wrong with how we treat our planet? I write a blog and record podcasts about video games, for goodness' sake- why can't I put some effort into making sure the future my kids have is one I would have enjoyed, not something bleak and terrifying.

This troubles me greatly and I'm looking to some solace, so I would appreciate any at all you feel interested in contributing. Sorry if I sound like an extremist, but I don't know how else to say it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Seeking Help.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »
I dunno.  There is an everyday influence people have on the environment (running your AC, driving ac car, etc), but poaching is a different beast.  I don't think I could even afford whatever the hell one would make with a Rhino horn.  I also wouldn't know who to go to for such things.  There's nothing you can really do short of writing your congressman for stricter laws (sorry for the politics).
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 03:52:14 PM »
I don't even know how much good writing your congressman would do. Is the USA a big market for Rhino horn? I don't think they are selling it to the western world.

Thank God we have some cloning capabilities in this case. It gives hope for the future.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »
Politics in the second post. This thread is going to go well.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »
Is the USA a big market for Rhino horn? I don't think they are selling it to the western world.

Found this from a quick google search: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/05/why-does-a-rhino-horn-cost-300-000-because-vietnam-thinks-it-cures-cancer-and-hangovers/275881/

Edit: More stuff

So, yeah, maybe US laws aren't the best recourse here.

I was thinking something along the lines of how ivory is illegal to sell in the US, but there's still a big market because of a loop hole that allows people to sell their existing ivory possessions (just not newly minted ones) and there's no way to track it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:43:43 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.