Author Topic: Terminator is a lie... (some T1 spoilers... can you spoil a 30-year-old movie?)  (Read 10539 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
So, Terminator 1 & 2 are two of my favorite all-time films.

3 & 4, in spite of owning both of them on DVD and Bluray, I've only seen each once - in theaters on release.

(Side note: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is pretty freaking awesome).

I thought I'd have a marathon and watch all four movies tonight.

But I caught something tonight in the first movie that just... Suspension of Disbelief failing...

End of the movie.  Sarah is crawling under a hydraulic press of some kind.  Half of the Terminator robotic skeleton is crawling after her.

Sarah crawls out the other side, reaches around the corner to a panel of buttons, feels them, says an awesome line, the pushes a button to activate the press and squish the Terminator.

She couldn't see the buttons on the panel to see what they were labeled.  Hell, she shouldn't have even known what the panel was for - she's a waitress, not an employee of this factory.

I've watched this movie several times and I just now really thought of this - so I guess it's not a huge deal... but now that I've noticed it... ugh.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
the whole "closed loop", time travel  paradox does nothing to you?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Naw.  I can live with that. :D
I mean, we don't really know for sure how anything with Time Travel would work.

But the entire "I can't see what these buttons are labeled and I've never used a machine anything like this before, but I know I'm going to press the right button to turn it on and you're terminated!"... that's pretty much understood.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Artistic license.
Agents of S.M.A.S.H. had a pretty glaring one where She-Hulk goes I can't read alien.  Than in about 5 minutes know how to run something complicated like a teleporter.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
If it's a machine like that and you feel a panel with buttons on it, it's not that hard to guess what they do, or at least have a 50/50 guess with stop and go. Chances are the 2 buttons attached do not turn off the lights or turn on the garbage disposal.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
I just wanna see the origins of Skynet. Not sure if its cannon or not but isn't Robocop the origins of the T-1? 2 reboots and no crossover, somebody dropped the ball.They could of had their own Sci-Fi Movie Universe

(although I don't know of any other franchise that fits into this story...maybe the Matrix)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
If it's a machine like that and you feel a panel with buttons on it, it's not that hard to guess what they do, or at least have a 50/50 guess with stop and go. Chances are the 2 buttons attached do not turn off the lights or turn on the garbage disposal.

A.) There were four buttons.
B.) She couldn't see the buttons, just feel them.  They were one on top the other, like

:
:

C.) They weren't attached to the machine, so knowing that they went to the machine instead of, say, turning on flood lights in the building or something, was a reach - but getting the right button the first time and being so sure that she has to say her bad-ass line... come on!

(although I don't know of any other franchise that fits into this story...maybe the Matrix)

I recall the theory that Matrix was the Terminator future being thrown around when the first Matrix movie was out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
Ok, 25% chance of being right, sheesh. It would perhaps been.more suspenseful if she pressed the other buttons first and they did not work...but then you don't get the cool line, or you would have to change it to, "By process of elimination, you're terminated."

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I disagree with those odds.  Again, the buttons weren't on the machine itself.  What were the odds that the panel was even connected to the machine to begin with? :D

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile

I recall the theory that Matrix was the Terminator future being thrown around when the first Matrix movie was out.

Just look this tidbit up:

So Terminator and Matrix was written by the same person come to find out, who sued  lawsuit for plagiarism. Or so the legend says.

Online azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
So Terminator and Matrix was written by the same person come to find out, who sued  lawsuit for plagiarism. Or so the legend says.
If this is about Harlan Ellison, he was very lawsuit happy and overall a difficult person to deal with (amazing writer otherwise -- especially brilliant with short stories).

It's not like either of the stories have even a seed or originality. Of course there are going to be scores of stories by the same "savior of humanity" template from Jesus to John Connor to Neo.

Terminator 2 is still the best movie ever made though, pitch perfect in every aspect.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Pitch Perfect 2 is still the best movie ever made though, terminator in every aspect.

That quote is much more amusing. ;)

T2 is one of my all-time favorite movies.  I love the fact that so much of this movie was done via puppetry and other practical effects instead of the CGI-heavy handedness of today's movies.

I'd go ape-**** insane if they announced that the new Terminator sequel/reboot/whatever it is was going to use a T2-style mix of techniques instead of full-on CGI.

That part of the movie never bothered me. If I remember correctly that panel was dangling from a cord that had fallen earlier in the scene so there is a chance she already had seen it from the other angle perhaps.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
That part of the movie never bothered me. If I remember correctly that panel was dangling from a cord that had fallen earlier in the scene so there is a chance she already had seen it from the other angle perhaps.

It wasn't dangling, it was attached.

I must be remembering wrong.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I think you're thinking of when she operates equipment at the end of T2.  That's a dangling control.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
UncleBob, in the super secret menu on the Mega Terminated Special Edition of Terminator, they address this very issue. I can't remember if it was that Sarah Conner once had a job in the factory as the button-presser, and that's actually why she went there, kind of like how Kevin McCallister went to his Aunt and Uncle's place in New York in Home Alone 2, or if it was that she had scoped the place out in a hyper-deleted scene and learned what all the buttons did beforehand.

One or the other. Probably.

Too bad George Lucas and James Cameron are not good friends, otherwise he could just go back and photoshop the words PRESS THIS on the side so she knows which one to press ahead of time. But once you go down the dark path of editing your films to "fix" your previous mistakes forever will it dominate your destiny.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Until you sell your film rights to Disney. Then all hope is lost.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

[quote authorlink=topic=46779.msg865669#msg865669 date=1426470895]
 can you spoil a 30-year-old movie?

[/quote]

Yes you can. There are plenty of 30 year old, and much older, movies I have yet to see.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
In the THX remaster, T-800 presses the button first.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
You guys r going to hate me...
I know it only has arnie for one scene, but i think 4 is better than 3.
Made you look ****.

You guys r going to hate me...
I know it only has arnie for one scene, but i think 4 is better than 3.

That's nothing, I like 3 better than 2.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
What do you yall think of 4? It was dark and depressing, I hated it for a lot of reasons but did it have to be so dreary and gray/brown and serious?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.