Author Topic: Cube to be Number 1 at Summer  (Read 9107 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Cube to be Number 1 at Summer
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2003, 07:14:55 PM »
Last holiday season, I saw 10-20-something Splinter Cell commercials for every 1 Metroid Prime commercial in a single TV hour.

For every channel the Metroid commercial showed on, the Splinter Cell commercial showed up on 5+ more channels.

As for PS2 ads, they were pretty much evenly displayed with every other kind of commercial out there.

I may be slightly exaggerating with the numbers, but I can recall the live-action Sam Fisher actor much more easily than the live-action Samus.

Nintendo's marketing simply sucks.  Public exposure goes hand-in-hand with sales.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Cube to be Number 1 at Summer
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2003, 07:20:40 PM »
Nintendo need to show how good thier games are on thier adverts. After Metroid Prime launched, they should have remixed the commercial to include quotes like "Game of the Year", "An epic masterpiece" etc.

I think Nintendo has a very good chance of becomming #1 this summer. They are advertising constantly. I am seeing their commercials on stations they never advertised before. I counted 4 different commercials in less than 1/2 hour a couple of nights ago. Even Best Buy is becomming more "Nintendo friendly", where before it was all about the XB. They had multiple TV's up playing demos of upcoming Nintendo games, they had tables of Nintendo products, including Game Boy Player (they only had 2 left), and tons of GC and GBA games (normally they were always out of stock). Customers in the stores (I'm not talking about 10 year olds) were looking at the GC games and watching/playing the GC demos. I did not see 1 person in the PS2 or XB section, everyone was in the Nintendo section.
Enough ranting, my point is I do see a resurgence. Let's hope it continues through the holidays.

If thats true then it looks like Nintendo might do pretty well for themselves this holidays.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2003, 07:23:31 PM »
Mario Kart, Crystal Chronicles, and F-Zero are all system sellers.  The magazines are really stressing the goodness of F-zero (EGM is, anyway), and the good graphics and speed will pull in gamers that go for that stuff.  Yes, I'm getting F-zero and it will be awesome, but I think a lot of casual gamers will be attracted to the superficial part of F-zero (very important for sales; WW is much less superficially splendid than F-zero).

FF:CC may be a must for many RPG guys, and Mario Kart is just plain awesome.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2003, 07:49:45 PM »
also nintendo are starting to notice thier s**t advertising and doing something about it

plus there are a lot of secret games in devolepment that none of us know about

mario 128 is coming out at the end of this year in japan.........(it wat i heard)
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2003, 10:09:30 PM »
In the world of inverse darwinism the Cube will fall to the PS2. Like the Mac fell to the x86. Like BeOS and OS/2 fell to Windows. See the trend?

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2003, 10:14:46 PM »
Unfortunately, hardly any/none of those games will make it out by summer, which ends on around September 20...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2003, 06:34:40 AM »
But they'll come out eventually, nonetheless.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline NintendoFanGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2003, 03:04:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Nintendo need to show how good thier games are on thier adverts. After Metroid Prime launched, they should have remixed the commercial to include quotes like "Game of the Year", "An epic masterpiece" etc.

I think that is a great idea.  They should do the same for Eternal Darkness.  Didn't it win an award too?  If they started some new commercials like the ones they are airing now (short, but sweet) for older AAA games, they might get more people to notice.  I wonder how many people who are just now buying the GC will go back and pick up the older titles like SMS, ED or MP.

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2003, 04:01:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
FF:CC may be a must for many RPG guys

FFCC is barely an RPG. There's no HP or experiencing points which are basically the only thing in common with PC and console RPGs.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2003, 09:50:25 PM »
NOt to be a downer, but like someone said, most of the games are not coming out till late late summer almost into mid-september.  

F-zero i dont think will be a system seller.  Most people nowadays in terms of racers are looking for something with a Gran Tursimo feel to it such as Midnight Club 2 or GT4.  Futuristic racers in general havent done well in a while.

Mario Kart I think would be a system seller.  In fact, I think this game should have been released a long time ago to get people to buy the Cube.  

Final Fantasy I feel is being targetted at a young audience especially with the stress of the GBA attachment.  And because of that, I doubt it will be a system seller.  

I think in general Nintendo just needs to get more companies to develop games for them.  They need to spread out their genres.  I get the feeling they dont have enough genres covered.  They have yet to get a good GT style racer or a good RPG only for that system.  I dunno, but my overall impression is I am starting to lose faith for nintendo.  I'm trying to be faithful to Nintendo but I am getting really upset about some of the games coming out.  Granted, I already have Soul Caliber, FF, and 1080 reserved and hopefully they convince me to stay instead of trading it back for the PS3 when it comes out

Note to crowd: I like Nintendo, but I am not a Nintendo fanboy.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2003, 09:55:54 PM »

F-zero i dont think will be a system seller.  Most people nowadays in terms of racers are looking for something with a Gran Tursimo feel to it such as Midnight Club 2 or GT4.  Futuristic racers in general havent done well in a while.

Agreed.  No question it will be a good game, but I doubt it will sell many console.

Mario Kart I think would be a system seller.  In fact, I think this game should have been released a long time ago to get people to buy the Cube.

Also agreed.  Mario Kart is well loved by the masses.  

Final Fantasy I feel is being targetted at a young audience especially with the stress of the GBA attachment.  And because of that, I doubt it will be a system seller.

Disagree.  Square could put dog crap in a box and label it as a Final Fantasy collector's item and people will still buy it.  If it's from Square, sad as it may be, people will buy the game regardless of how good it is.  This is very much a system seller.

I think in general Nintendo just needs to get more companies to develop games for them.  They need to spread out their genres.  I get the feeling they dont have enough genres covered.  They have yet to get a good GT style racer or a good RPG only for that system.  I dunno, but my overall impression is I am starting to lose faith for nintendo.  I'm trying to be faithful to Nintendo but I am getting really upset about some of the games coming out.  Granted, I already have Soul Caliber, FF, and 1080 reserved and hopefully they convince me to stay instead of trading it back for the PS3 when it comes out

GT style racing isn't the only racing genre, and I think that Nintendo has all the others covered quite well.  We have Burnout, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Ridge Racer, and a few others.  Overall, I think that Nintendo has a nice collection of genres with the GameCube.  If anything would be lacking, it would be RPGs, not racers.

Note to crowd: I like Nintendo, but I am not a Nintendo fanboy.

Nintendo fanboy here.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Nik Jam

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2003, 11:14:29 PM »
Here's the only big Nintendo games coming out before Fall starts in late September.
Mario Golf blah
Product Number 3
F Zero GX
1080 Avalance

Soul Calibur 2 and XIII are as well but they're multiplatform.

Sorry. No can do.
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2003, 12:16:23 AM »
Grey...GREY! Good God Grey! Loving the quote! Mewtwo rocks in Melee! Anyways back to the topic...I think it's more of a Summer/Fall feel to everything that's making N-nuts feel so hyped. N won't be number one in the Summer, we will be Summer AND Fall
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2003, 12:37:00 AM »
dont forget games comming after the summer

all those pokemon games......thier sh*t but kids like it
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2003, 12:38:54 AM »
GC will be last in summer. Last behind the PS2, last behind the GBA, and even last behind the Xbox... dont get your hopes up for high sales, just enjoy the games.  

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2003, 03:03:26 AM »
Being the winner of the summer wouldn't be saying much, it's a fairly dull time period for games. Note how most of those games aren't even summer ones.

Look at all of the 2002 hits. Nintendo called it their biggest year ever. It didn't make a dent in Nintendo's marketshare. The games have kept them afloat; they didn't help them rise very much, %-wise. It's quite the niche Nintendo made for themselves.
"wow."

Offline XMasterLinkX

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2003, 12:37:15 PM »
  Actually Nintendo boosted itself with Zelda...  And There is a Mario sequel coming out, along with Mario Kart, and FF...  We have a Metal Gear game coming out, etc...  You can expect to see the cube boost up to number 1 spot, because there is no number 1, because most system are equal...  PS2, has alot of problems with there systems, and I think that PS2 is going to slow down...  I am not saying anything to just put the GCN's rep up but I think the GCN has more potential then the other two..  Thank You...

XMasterLinkX(The Real Link)
"Games are good when they relive there past" <my quote>

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2003, 05:06:50 PM »
The general consensus around here seems to be:
F-Zero GX will be good but it wont sell systems.
Mario Kart will be awesome and it will sell systems, appealing to the mainstream.

I would have to PARTIALLY disagree with both of those statements. First of all, it looks to be that F-Zero will be the better of the two games. Mario Kart Double Dash!! has so far the least racing depth of any Mario Kart yet (apart from the two people in a vehice), especially since there are no power slides and no coins to collect. The game is less challenging and slower than previous Mario Kart games. It will still be great, but there is a reason why F-Zero GX turned heads at E3. First of all, the game has amazing graphics, and stellar special effects. Nothing quite beats racing against 29 other vehicles at the same time. The game is extremely fast, challenging, very solid in single player and multiplayer modes, features great courses, it's full of racing depth (with turbo and on track boosts, several different attacks, being able to pass not just left or right but also above and below, and vehicles that vary greatly in playing style and abilities) and has great controls.

As for being able to sell systems, Mario Kart will likely be able to do no more in that regards than Mario Sunshine (This is of course just my opinion). Obviously most Nintendo fans see the game for what it is, but like most everything else, that's not the case with the mainstream. The game's image to the mainstream infortunately may no longer be that of a cool kart racing game, but that of a colourful racer with a pink princess that "only appeals to kiddies". F-Zero on the other hand has all the tools and potential to be a system seller, but likely won't be marketed enough. It's fast,  a cool image and appeal, it has great graphics, and features "cool" characters like Captain Falcon. However, if it's not marketed to death, then you guys are right and it likely wont sell systems.

More on topic, here's a release list for Nintendo and Capcom games. If all the big hits released near the same time, it could have the potential to give the Cube an adrenaline boost, but as they aren't, it'll probably be the same old story, with some of these games being high on software sales lists.

Nintendo
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour - July 28th
F-Zero GX - August 25th
Pokemon Colosseum - September 20th
1080: Avalanche - September 29th
Kirby Air Ride - October 13th
Pikmin 2 - October 27th
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - November 3rd
Mario Kart: Double Dash - November 18th
Mario Party 5 - December 14th

Capcom
P.N.03 - September 9th
Resident Evil: Code Veronica - September
Viewtiful Joe - September 30th
Gotcha Force - November
Disney Hide N' Seek - December 16th

Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2003, 01:06:03 AM »

Originally posted by: XMasterLinkX
Actually Nintendo boosted itself with Zelda...  And There is a Mario sequel coming out, along with Mario Kart, and FF...  We have a Metal Gear game coming out, etc...  You can expect to see the cube boost up to number 1 spot, because there is no number 1, because most system are equal...  PS2, has alot of problems with there systems, and I think that PS2 is going to slow down...  I am not saying anything to just put the GCN's rep up but I think the GCN has more potential then the other two..  Thank You...

XMasterLinkX(The Real Link)

GameCube marketshare going up based on the saturation (thus slowed sales) of the PS2 is not exactly a compelling thought. No game, or games, will boost Nintendo's hardware sales anywhere near 30+ million at this point. We'll have to see what happens next go-around when Nintendo doesn't give the competition such a head start.
"wow."

Offline dogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2003, 01:46:34 AM »
Here's the thing guys. you're only looking at the cube's summer, but haven't mentioned the ps2 and xbox line ups

sorry to say, but KOTOR for xbox seems to be the absolute biggest game of the summer. mkd will sell well for sure, but seems to be dumbed down. f-zero looks awesome but i don't know how well it will sell

xbox and gc have about equal summer lineups, with ps2 following a bit
It's not so much that I want to kill Lois...it's just that...I don't want her to be alive...anymore.

Offline gamecuberulz

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2003, 03:52:08 PM »

Originally posted by: dogman85
Here's the thing guys. you're only looking at the cube's summer, but haven't mentioned the ps2 and xbox line ups

sorry to say, but KOTOR for xbox seems to be the absolute biggest game of the summer. mkd will sell well for sure, but seems to be dumbed down. f-zero looks awesome but i don't know how well it will sell

xbox and gc have about equal summer lineups, with ps2 following a bit

Sony and Microsoft are evil.

Offline gamecuberulz

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2003, 03:56:32 PM »
I don't think the Cube will be No.1. It's sad that people don't know what's good for them. Sony should stick to T.V.'s.
Sony and Microsoft are evil.

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2003, 12:13:54 AM »
>> but KOTOR for xbox seems to be the absolute biggest game of the summer <<

I just saw the first Xbox KOTOR commercial and boy does it look AWESOME. It will be out in a few days.  

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2003, 08:34:33 AM »
KOTOR will crush any Gamecube game n the summer just like Splinter Cell crushed Metroid. It's as simple as that.

GC won't be number 1 like we always think it will be. It won't, get over the fact. Stop discussing Nitntendo sales boosting because it won't happen.

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2003, 11:25:06 AM »
Yeah I was kinda wondering what the hell they are doing to mario kart. I know it's not the final version but it sounds like it won't even be as good as mario 64...hope I'm wrong. If I had known they were going to do to zelda what they did, I think I might have never bought a gamecube. But I'm glad I did because I loved ssbm, RL 2, and SkiesOA, SMS was good and those are gc exclusives. I really don't know if ps2 has better games cause I've never played it but I'm going to my cousin's to check it out pretty soon. All I want from nintendo is a more mature hard zelda, 2d mario, ge/pd like shooter, mk that doesn't blow, some original non-kiddie action games that don't suck (viewtiful joe may be that), a partridge and a pear tree.