Author Topic: Where does the Virtual Console go from here?  (Read 12241 times)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Where does the Virtual Console go from here?
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
Between the various Castlevania titles and Demon's Crest, not to mention the unexpected return of Donkey Kong Country, at least in Europe, the Virtual Console has had its best month in quite a while. With the pace of releases speeding up (at least on the Wii U), Nintendo seems to be taking the service more seriously.

We've seen theme weeks and sales, but what else do you think Nintendo should do to revitalize the service? Is there a specific tactic you think Nintendo should take with it, or a specific addition they should make? What platform should be the next addition to the library?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Where does the Virtual Console go from here?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
Finally start releasing the DS library like they promised at the start of the year for starters.

Hey N64 games. Where are they? I'm not even going to bother saying Gamecube because who knows when that's going to come.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:51:57 PM »
Finally start releasing the DS library like they promised at the start of the year for starters.

Hey N64 games. Where are they? I'm not even going to bother saying Gamecube because who knows when that's going to come.

The N64 games are already there, you just have to go into Wii mode to play them. I am very satisfied with virtual Console its still my favorite aspect of Wii/Wii U ecosystem. I have way too many games backed up to worry about whats new to come.

But in the interest of offering some suggestions, DS games would be nice, so would more GBA and Game Cube obviously a welcome addition. What I personally would like to see would be some more retro classics, like get some damn Atari 2600 on there, gold mine right there. They could also use some more Arcade games in the arcade section and possibly some Sega CD stuff like PSN has. Also there are dozens of SNES and Genesis games I am still waiting for them to release, they seem to have really slowed down on those in recent years.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:42:57 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
October was a great month because they put out a good amount of good content. Just keep doing that.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »
Online play... :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
having games would help.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »
They had a lot of games this month, especially in Europe. That may be an outlier, and given the history of the service it probably is, but I'm choosing to be optimistic.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »
Most of those games are from capcom who only have so many games they can do.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »
There were at least 4 Castlevanias in there, which are Konami. Not to mention six Donkey Kong games in Europe from Nintendo.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
I always get that one mixed up, doggone it.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »
I don't want to say anything good about it because I don't want to jinx it! It'd be all my fault!  :'(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 11:22:55 PM »
Where does it need to go.

Simple:  It needs to be self contained and considered its on virtual console literally.  This means one purchase play on any Nintendo device. 

Also, Nintendo needs release only one version of each title.  Hopefully choosing the best version.  So Arcade Donkey Kong, not NES Donkey Kong. 

Finally, add new stuff with the emulation.  online multi-player, (Even if it still uses split screens.)

And after they make all this...fast release of the library.  I am talking 10 games a week...not 2-3. 

As it is, Nintendo is charging a pretty high premium for older digital games.  They really need to up their game and provide a better value and experience.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
It's not hard:

Step 1: Get to the amount games that was on the Wii FOUR YEARS AGO

Step 2: Continue releasing games

Bonus CRAZY idea: Keep handheld games on 3DS, console games on Wii

IMO, the VC has gone backwards not forwards in terms of systems and games. It is a completely ridiculous situation, and considering the Wii U will only be around for another 1/2 years, frightening to think it might all be reset AGAIN for the next system....
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 01:04:19 AM »
With the Wii U's successor most likely featuring a completely different architecture, it'll probably be an even harder reset than the Wii U was.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 01:20:09 AM »
The Wii U's successor is already out there, its called the PS4.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 01:26:03 AM »
And the PS4 does feature a completely different architecture.

Really, though, I think the thing I want the most from the Virtual Console is a sense of stability and consistency. We had an amazing October, but that probably won't last, and with no real reasoning.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 01:28:59 AM »
I did my part, honest. I spent enough to earn six of those DDP promo tickets and I barely had this thing a month.

I did check out the PS4 virtual store and yeah its not as awesome as PS3 is so maybe Nintendo needs to not follow Sony's footsteps and just work on getting more partners.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 02:59:57 AM »
What I don't understand, I thought the games had the emulators sort built into them. 

We don't need a restart, what we need is a single purchase, online enabled, start with all the games available being here from the start.

Also, Nintendo needs to make the contract for 3rd parties if you release the game on the VC it will be there permanently...into even future consoles.   

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:38 AM »
Crawl up Square Enix's ass for releases from the NES and Gameboy consoles. Add a SNES library, and a Gameboy Advance library.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:26:54 AM by Triforce Hermit »
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
"Where does the Virtual Console go from here?"

Back into its crypt to return to its eternal slumber.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »
I did my part, honest. I spent enough to earn six of those DDP promo tickets and I barely had this thing a month.

I did check out the PS4 virtual store and yeah its not as awesome as PS3 is so maybe Nintendo needs to not follow Sony's footsteps and just work on getting more partners.

I was wrong I guess I had 8 gift cards issued to me looks like I have spent more money than I realized.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
Start getting Sega and TurboGraphix games again.  TurboGraphix especially since the Japanese eShop has PC-Engine games making the lack of them in the West even more confusing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 01:53:12 PM »
I get the feeling that sales of Virtual Console games had slowed way down, which is why they started trickling them out and don't seem them as a priority anymore. It's also probably a part of why Nintendo are more focused on bringing new content to the VC like Earthbound and GBA games instead of converting over the Wii catalogue, which is technically still playable on a Wii U so Nintendo figure that's good enough.

What I would like to happen are these things, most of which I think won't happen:
-Get the entire Wii library on Wii U.
-Make a unified VC across 3DS and Wii U for all games that can run on 3DS (NES, SNES, and Genesis should work, not sure about GBA, supposedly the 3DS has a hard time emulating it when still running the full 3DS OS). So if you buy an SNES game on Wii U, you can also play it on 3DS at no extra cost. Buy a Game Boy game on 3DS, you can play it on Wii U too.
-No fees to transfer/update games to the next systems.
-Add netplay. Currently I don't buy VC games, but I totally would if they had netplay.
-Add Game Boy Color and Super Game Boy features to GB VC games.

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
or consider, don't shoot me, putting VC onto Steam to reach a wider audience especially if they don't consider PC's to be a threat.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 05:49:13 PM »
I think it's pretty clear at this point that the WiiU virtual console will never be as robust as the Wii's was. Partially due to Nintendo's curious apathy and partially due to the seeming reluctance of third parties to put out games beyond Capcom and Konami. I mean, it should be nearly free money, but I suspect at this point the volume is too low for the effort. And/or they want to juice "HD" remasters or whatever for IOS or PSN.

What I think Nintendo should do for the next system:

-Stop building the emulators into the games. If there were just system-wide emulators built into the console they could firehose games out, with adjustments necessary for a few titles that used special cartridge chips.

-Increase the number of save state slots. It's a great feature that would be given even more utility with extra slots, and further discourage illegal emulator use.

-Speaking of illegal emulator use, they should keep competing with these on features. Add stuff to the Virtual Console like speeding up games, graphics options, etc. (the GBA game options are a good step). Allow the user to toggle post-hoc "fixes" for slowdown and flickering and whatnot, while keeping the original experience intact for people who prefer it.

-Release Startropics and Blaster Master on the WiiU so I can finally cheat to beat the games.