Author Topic: Favorite freeware  (Read 6881 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Favorite freeware
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 07:15:52 AM »
Back from the dead, is this thread?  I have more!  Yay!

Anagram Artist
This program is pretty old (long before this thread), so I bet a bunch of people already know about it.  But for those who don't, and anagram is a word or phrase that is made out of the letters of another word or phrase.  For example, my name (Eric O'Brien) can be mixed up to spell "ironic beer."  That one isn't so good, but two I love are CardBoardBox's name (Alex Hoy) can be mixed up to spell "Holy Axe" and "Infernal Monkey" can spell "Freaky Melon Inn."

It took me a while to figure out how to use this program.  First, you choose your word/phrase you want to start off with and type it into the top box.  AA will then show you every word it can make using those letters, and yuou can choose what part of speech to show (ie: only nouns, only verbs, etc.  very useful).  Then, you choose a word from the list and enter it into the bottom box, and AA will then form another list using only the remaining letters.  If a word on the list appears in ALL CAPS, then you know that if you use that word you will have a complete match, letter-for-letter, of the original word/phrase.

It's just a nifty little program I happen to enjoy.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 10:30:15 AM »
"Infernal Monkey" can spell "Freaky Melon Inn."

That sounds about right...

The one I could come up for mine is "alibis will mask"
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:Favorite freeware
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 11:18:41 AM »
mine is winzip.

wait...what's that you say?  winzip isn't freeware?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2004, 03:20:39 PM »
VirtualDub is awesome, especially for encoding DivX files in conjunction with AVISynth.  And yes, my audio input works.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline aoi tsuki

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2004, 07:52:43 PM »
Filezilla -- An excellent FTP client with lots of features. i've been using it for the past month and it's much more complete than EFTP, which i may have originally recommended.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2004, 09:12:41 PM »
It's a niche product, but Dia is a really good tree-drawing program. It's Windows port is a bit dodgy though, you might have a few problems with it.

Nobody has mentioned The GIMP yet, and it is arguably the best image editing program available. Once again, it's Widows port is less than perfect.

FreeBSD is a decent OS as well. It's generally not as widely used as Linux - which essentially just changes the kernel. It's decent, but it's userbase certainly suffers from the overshadowing Linux.

Lastly, Wings 3D and Blender are both excellent modeling programs.  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2004, 11:38:03 PM »

mine is winzip.

needs more winrar!

Also, I second ad-aware to the extreme.

DC++ is a great app, too, if you know a cool group that runs a hub.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2004, 03:11:12 PM »
I vote spybot search and destroy.  Combined with ad-aware, will find any spyware.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2004, 04:48:37 PM »
Spybot is my prefered Adware destroyer.  Ad-Aware is my second choice, using them together is like the justice league of the spyware world!

Offline Ness_the_Mess

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2004, 04:18:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
I didn't say that you were pro-MS.  I just said it shocked me.  It's like someone saying that they prefer country to metal, or prefer Zelda II to Zelda: Wind Waker.  It's just a complete defiance of conventional logic.  

It's like someone saying that they prefer country to metal, eh?  Well, if music that takes a day to write, is loud, crude, obnoxious, generally swears too much for its own good, and destroys the 'musician's' vocal cords is attractive, then I suppose you have a point.   Not to say I like country, either, though.
EarfBOWND

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2004, 04:46:13 PM »
Well, I suppose talking to someone who has long left is like talking to yourself...........which is healthy, right.....?  Well, I guess talking to Grey is like talking to a melon or something.  Haha!  I bet someone will keep talking to him, and he'll never respond and he'll manage to piss someone off even even he doesn't visit anymore! =P

Anyway, please not the winky-dink face at the end of his post.  And please respond with something relevant, since Grey's post was made on June 26, 2003.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2004, 05:21:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Ness_the_Mess
Well, if music that takes a day to write, is loud, crude, obnoxious, generally swears too much for its own good, and destroys the 'musician's' vocal cords is attractive, then I suppose you have a point.   Not to say I like country, either, though.

No, that's "Grundge" or whatever...Stuff like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath is the REAL metal...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2004, 08:41:03 AM »
Does anyone know of a good free program that could rip movies from DVDs? (Namely my Family Guys to use on my Movie Advance. Portable Family Guy=amazingness.)

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2004, 04:01:43 PM »
I use DVD Decrypter to backup my DVDs. True story.