Author Topic: What will this year be the year of for Nintendo?  (Read 8807 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
What will this year be the year of for Nintendo?
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:44:04 AM »
Now that we know The Year of Luigi will officially be ending March 18, that raises the question: what will the following year be?

The Year of Luigi sometimes felt like a forced premise, but Nintendo certainly backed it up with a significant number of games featuring the green-clad plumber. What will the rest of 2014 be defined by in the world of Nintendo? There are a lot of different ways you could take the question, but I'd love to hear your suggestions and the reasoning behind them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: What will this year be the year of for Nintendo?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:12:43 AM »
Nothing really stands out unless Nintendo announces a bunch of surprise titles. Looking at the current release list, there isn't much common ground except that I want the games in my Wii U to play them.

I suppose they could start one later this year with Super Smash Bros. as a starting point. Luigi worked really well because he's already in a bunch of spin-offs so it's quite a bit more difficult to do the same celebration with other characters. I'd welcome a Year of Samus.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:26:36 AM »
The Year of Mrgrgr. It's already started!
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:01:06 PM »
The year of Samus? A metroid themed 3dsXl with Metroid HD Collection (Zero Mission, Super Metroid, Fusion) All in 3D. With a 32GB SDXC preloaded with the sound track to all the handheld games.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
Nintendo needs some better financial results so maybe Wario would be the ideal mascot.  Though the way things are going maybe him with the crappy birdhouse you get in the bad ending for Warioland might be more appropriate.

I think their best bet would be the year of Pokémon.  They can release some annoying Pokémon Z third version for X/Y on the 3DS and release that proper Pokémon console RPG that seems like the only thing that could save the Wii U.  That RPG has been in secret development for years right? ::)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
I have never played Poke'mon and even I want a console rpg version. (nevergoingtohappen)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »
I'm sure Nintendo wishes this past year never happened.

Therefore I propose Nintendo announce that 2014 is the year of Luigi.
Gouge away.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »
Maybe a year of new beginnings.  So it's remake year, or redo year where they take old forgotten characters and create new games based on those characters.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »
The year of Samus? A metroid themed 3dsXl with Metroid HD Collection (Zero Mission, Super Metroid, Fusion) All in 3D. With a 32GB SDXC preloaded with the sound track to all the handheld games.

lol

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
Year of ShyGuy.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »
The Year of Sheriff.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 08:01:43 PM »
On a more serious note for once, I think the character best positioned for a year might be Yoshi. There's Yoshi's New Island coming out, Yarn Yoshi may exist somewhere and he'll be in things like Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf: World Tour. Throw in a couple games where he could serve as a skin or make a minor tweak a la Dr. Luigi and I think it would pretty much be like they Year of Luigi was. You could even do a New Yoshi Bros Wii U DLC with Yoshi challenges.

Who would I actually like to see a year of? Kirby. Always Kirby.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »
On a more serious note for once, I think the character best positioned for a year might be Yoshi. There's Yoshi's New Island coming out, Yarn Yoshi may exist somewhere and he'll be in things like Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf: World Tour. Throw in a couple games where he could serve as a skin or make a minor tweak a la Dr. Luigi and I think it would pretty much be like they Year of Luigi was. You could even do a New Yoshi Bros Wii U DLC with Yoshi challenges.

And with Yoshi, they even have an existing dropping block puzzle game they could quickly slap together an update to! Everyone loved that game, right?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 07:08:22 PM »
Heck yeah we did! Though the Pokémon version had stronger gameplay. Still, they could release a new version of Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon/Puzzle League and have it star Yoshi and it'd be neat. I'd probably go for it, even though it'd likely be an eShop-only release.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
It's a little strange that the year of Luigi is ending, then a month later they're release NES Remix 2, which features the backwards version of SMB with Luigi as the main character...maybe they really do want a second year of Luigi.

I agree with it being Yoshi, everyone loves Yoshi and there's already a couple games being worked on with Yoshi as the star.  And I'd be all for a New Yoshi Bros Wii U DLC, even though I haven't gotten to play the Luigi one yet.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »
Actually, there is both the Yoshi GB/NES puzzle game and Yoshi's Cookie for NES/SNES so double the puzzle game possibilities plus like Mop it up mentioned of using Yoshi as a skin for Puyo Puyo or something. Year of the Yoshi puzzlers. Who knew he was so cerebral?

Plus if Nintendo is serious about still doing the 64 games in the Wii-u-magined line then they could make Yoshi's Story as one of the first releases in that line although I don't think that will create much of a stir.

And in the end, that might be a problem with this sort of character focused year. In order to semi-promote the character or live up to this declaration, it can result in less interesting titles being released and sort of leads to it overshadowing other games being released. By not having a theme, you just announce games as they come and promote them all sort of equally.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 07:50:28 PM »
I don't like Puyo Puyo so I hope they don't do that with Yoshi! I didn't like Yoshi's Cookie or Yoshi very much either, though maybe they could release a triple pack of Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie, and Tetris Attack with some new features for each, and it'd be cool.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »
It should be the year of Waluigi.  That man needs his own game like a GameGear needed batteries.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
It should be the year of Waluigi.  That man needs his own game like a GameGear needed batteries.

Is this sarcasm? I really cant tell

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 10:14:46 PM »
Year of Swanky Kong.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 10:56:26 PM »

Is this sarcasm? I really cant tell

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=43309.0
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
I would love to see the year of VC.  Where they release a new VC console and 10-12 games each month for that console.  I don't get the character specific promotions.  Some people don't like Luigi and that wasn't going to change anything.  Plus there wasn't enough emphasis (like a game a month) to get people excited about Luigi. 

Alternatively, they could have the year of the gamepad and try to focus on bringing out specific eshop content each month to really showcase the gamepad.  I think they still have a lack of games out there that show why the gamepad is so important. 

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
Maybe they could do the 'year of indies' as a way to encourage indie developers to make stuff for the system.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »