Author Topic: "A single game saved the GB (Pokemon), it could save the Wii U too” Iwata said  (Read 69160 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: "Mergers & Acquisitions are an option” Iwata said.
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
Buying Occulus and incorporating that into the video game 3rd pillar - return of the Virtual Boy, is an interesting idea.
Could also tie in nicely with their QoL health stuff, or the next Metroid Prime.

As far as acquiring their own Touchstone, another interesting idea was purchasing SquareEnix. They would get all the Final Fantasies and Dragon Quest, and then they can use Eidos as their Touchstone.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
Yeah, Nintendo had a golden opportunity to scoop up potential studios last year for cheap when THQ when under and Atlus went up for sale, and they let them pass by, but Nintendo was too wrapped-up in what a runaway success the Wii U was bound to be.  As for future acquisitions, I'd prefer if Nintendo picked up some small studios & expanded their existing ones so they can finally branch out and do something other than Mario/Zelda/Pokemon.  We have enough mega-corporations in the video game industry. I'd rather one of the ones that are already Monolithic like Square-Enix not be made even larger.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 01:20:39 PM »
Supposedly Nintendo was a bidder on the Atlus sale, they just weren't willing to pony up the little extra cash to make it happen.... ooops.
And THQ was a major oversight. The Darksiders IP w/ dev team intact would have been a good deal for Nintendo, along with the Saints Row IP and dev team.

They really need to get some more western devs under their wings and those 2 would have been a good start.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
Because Square Enix owns Eidos they own some big PC games.  If Nintendo grabbed someone like that would they allow those games to be available on GOG or Stream?  Would they let all those Playstation Final Fantasy's get re-released on PSN?  Most third parties have historical content that could realistically only be re-released on non-Nintendo platforms.  Would Nintendo allow that or would they just sit on that stuff?

I could also imagine Nintendo owning tons of cool retro games and they just hold it all hostage while their VC gets games at a snail's pace.  I could see such a thing as potentially better for Nintendo but worse for gaming as a whole.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »
If Nintendo purchased a company with digital games available on other platforms, I'd imagine those games would be removed immediately. If you have a game downloaded, there's nothing Nintendo could do to stop you from having it, but if something were to happen to your hard drive and you still want that game, well, I hope you like Nintendo hardware because that's the only place you'd see it available again.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
So if Nintendo bought Square Enix hypothetically then we can say goodbye to Final Fantasy VII-XIV in their original designed-for-Playstation-consoles form?  Yeah, I'm hoping for the greater good that Nintendo aims a little lower.  Sadly I can't think of any company worth a **** that didn't release most of their best stuff from the past 15 years on non-Nintendo platforms.

It's probably for the best that Nintendo just try to grab smaller devs to expand their output and get games out on a decent schedule and not worry as much about obtaining IP.  Odds are if they had someone else's IP they would screw it up, and I think that applies to most companies.  It's no different than how I wouldn't expect a different publisher to understand what makes Mario and Zelda great.  They need more teams and should let them work on stuff outside the same old franchises to provide variety and maybe stumble upon a new IP that becomes the next big thing.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 04:10:35 PM »
*shrug*  I really doubt most of the movement will be in the Video Game space.  Nintendo is probably looking to branch and expand out of their current place.  The Video Game ride is done.  Time to find a new major business.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
So if Nintendo bought Square Enix hypothetically then we can say goodbye to Final Fantasy VII-XIV in their original designed-for-Playstation-consoles form?
Yeah, probably. It's not like Rare's SNES and N64 games showed up on Virtual Console. It's not a 1:1 comparison, but it's close enough. I'm not really sure why it matters as long as those old games would be available (and they would because Nintendo hock the **** out of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy if given the chance) though it sucks if you paid for it and lost the file somehow.
It's probably for the best that Nintendo just try to grab smaller devs to expand their output and get games out on a decent schedule and not worry as much about obtaining IP.  Odds are if they had someone else's IP they would screw it up, and I think that applies to most companies.
I'd prefer it. The smaller developers are making some of the most original stuff right now. If Nintendo went IP shopping, I think it'd be fine as long as Nintendo left them be. Disney didn't tell Pixar how to make Pixar movies after the 2006 acquisition. Offering suggestions is one thing, dictating how to make games Nintendo has no clue about is another. I wouldn't be too worried about that anyway. Monolith Soft is given a tremendous amount of freedom. They're under Nintendo's umbrella, but Nintendo seems to let them to their own thing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 04:38:48 PM »
I think a better example would have been Disney didn't tell Marvel how to make movies.
I'm pretty sure Pixar & Disney are all inter-mingled at this point, at least at the management level.

But point stands.

A larger focus on acquisitions in the west is where I hope they look.
But I also agree that we are likely to see Nintendo snatch up some small medical tech company here and there along with mostly smaller dev houses looking for steady income and focus.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
For starters: The can acquire the Blu-Ray playback rights so I don't have to buy another player for my downstairs tv. (selfish)

Unfortunately, I think this has less to do with developers and studio and more to do with Medical equipment and Education. I live in whats called a "Recession proof city" (Philadelphia) since we have an abundance of Hospitals, universities and colleges within the city limits. Those areas are less effected by the changing economic market. Flash back to 2008: "Wiihab" was born. Retirement communities, rehab facilities and special needs schools all started to buy the Wii just so the clients could play Bowling and Tennis. This is a major factor in the Wii's success, not just the casual Mom. I have heard of prescriptions for playing Wii sports and the likes. Even Wii Fit gym's in limited office spaces.(we have 2 in the cafe area where I work @comcast)

THIS IS YOUR FUTURE. IWATACARE

PLEASE BUY PLATINUM GAMES AND SEGA.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »
Would Sammy sell off the Sega portion of their business, with all IP's in tact?
or Would Nintendo have to absorb them whole, pachinko business and all?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
Take the pachinko business and then corner the mobile games market with pachinko apps and watch the money roll in. Investors are happy, no first party games go to mobile platforms and the Nintendo/Sega battle reaches its near 30 year conclusion.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
Honestly by my understanding Sammy without Sega is more profitable.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 06:24:04 PM »
I'm going to buy Sega stock
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »
Take the pachinko business and then corner the mobile games market with pachinko apps and watch the money roll in. Investors are happy, no first party games go to mobile platforms and the Nintendo/Sega battle reaches its near 30 year conclusion.

That... that is probably a BRILLIANT idea.
accounts tied to credit cards, mobile Pachinko on the go. Gamble anywhere.
of course it misses the physicality of it all, but it just might catch on.
and Nintendo is a game company, why not branch into the adult side of gaming... gambling.
The House does always eventually win. and they could certainly use a win right now.

(especially with it being rumored that Apple is about to make some acquisitions of it's own regarding Health and Fitness - wearables)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
Nintendo should have bought Volition and Vigil Games when they had the chance. It would be interesting to see how the market would react if Saint's Row and Darksiders were exclusive to Nintendo consoles. Buying back Rare's IPs would be a smart move as well. As for buying bigger companies, Nintendo should create better alliances between Square and Capcom. Then buyout weaker developers like Platinum and Vanillaware.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »
Forget Nintendo buying game publishers.  They need to purchase a company that can help expedite their getting to the present with online functionality.

If they can't find a good acquisition that meets that need, then they need to revisit a strategic partnership with a company that has established experience with providing a user-friendly, intuitive, online enabled front-end experience.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »
I really like the Sega/nintendo merger, not aquisition.  Let them become a team.  Sega, you do your game thing, with some nintendo guidance and foresight...and we will do our nintendo thing.  Imagine a future where the Wii U was a beautiful Nintendo/Dreamcast like system that had all the creative Sega games and Nintendo games together. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »
When I read that Nintendo was open to M&A, I think my brain jumped to the worst conclusions.  I'd hate to see Nintendo ever not be its own company.

But I agree that if Nintendo is trying to buy up companies now, then that's the best possible news.  They've a lot of boats over the years (Rare), and it's good that they're willing to at least show up to the docks. 

I'm hoping Nintendo can nab Sega from Sammy, but I won't hold my breath.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »
Two characters Nintendo should be going after hard: M2.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »

That... that is probably a BRILLIANT idea.
(and then other words not praising me)

But, of course. It came from me after all.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »
Sounds like we are going into merger fantasy talks.

Capcom would be my dream merger, as they both have a lot to offer each other and have some of the more recognized franchises in video games. Capcom brings the more adult oriented titles they lack with franchises that have street cred (Resident Evil especially).

If we are talking major corporation level mergers, though, Disney swooping in would be another good outcome. As BlackNMild2k1 mentioned, they have allowed Marvel and Pixar to act on their own... and have a lot of marketing opportunities through merchandising wings and especially the parks (although they would be buying Toho away from owning every company I care about at this point). All the same there would be some major shakeups in how Nintendo acts if something like this is the outcome.

In reality, if something does come out of this, I'm expecting something out of left field.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »
Speaking of parks, remember how Iwata also stated that they would be more opportunistic in licensing their IP out.

Imagine all those parks out there that aren't Six flags (WB) or Disney, that are dying to find something more marketable than random stuffed animals and Peanuts characters like Charlie Brown.

Think of all the marketing Nintendo will instantly have nation wide. From kids walking around with Mario & Luigi hats, bowser shell backpacks, koopa and gooma pillow pets, princess Peach and Zelda dresses, Link Swords, DK Ties, Giant Yoshi & Kirby Bean bag pets, a much better arcade (Mario Kart 4 player, F-Zero, DK, SMB, etc etc), Characters walking around taking pictures and giving autographs. Re-themed kids areas and rides. So much money and marketing that Nintendo has been ignoring for decades while letting Peanuts stay relevant by default.

So instead of waiting for Disney to buy them out, they could make moves to be increase product awareness without them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:12:26 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »
I actually think Disney would be a good merger option when it comes to merchandising. At least then we in the West stand a better shot at getting all of those cool things that Nintendo only gives to Japan. Disney could just give them the Marvel treatment and let them do their own thing with only minor supervision. Plus think of the opportunity with Smash Brothers for cameos.

I'd love Nintendo to join with Capcom of all the larger game companies. But realistically I could better see small studios like Platinum. Smaller studios that have the possibility to supplement Nintendo's lineup with games and genres that they are not currently strong in. I know a few years ago they could have picked up Factor 5.

They could also pick up the former Silicone Knights team and make Shadow of the Eternals the Eternal Darkness 2 we want it to be. They did say they will leverage older unused IPs more so we may still have a shot at seeing ED return to glory. Then follow that up with another Psychological Thriller title. Maybe a good, Nintendo inspired Resident Evil idea.

Speaking of older titles, what about reviving Diddy Kong Racing? That was a very fun, unique take of the racer and I think Nintendo could stand to broaden out past Mario Kart. Make it a launch title for the new Nintendo console or as a swan song for the Wii U that will potentially get MK fans to come back to the well and give the console a strong final year.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 03:32:14 PM »
I really doubt that Nintendo would be a Pixar.  Instead they be a Disney.

Whatever Nintendo does remember 1 thing.  Nintendo will always be the Top of its corporate food chain.