Author Topic: Getting a 3DS  (Read 8129 times)

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
Getting a 3DS
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
I have wanted one for a while, well a DS to be honest I had one before but sold it for financial reasons. Anyways I am now in a place where I can manage to get back into spending money and the 3DS looks amazing, so I have a few quick questions.

Does it play all the previous DS games up to now? If yes that is great gives me someplace to start.

Second question, can anyone recommend five games specific to 3dS for a first time buyer?

I am more of an traditional/old school type gamer so like the quirky funky new experimental stuff usually doesn't appeal to me much. I know there is/are a/some New Mario bros games so I expect I will start with those, anything else of note I should be aware of? I like to just ask fans for suggestions to get a start because reading reviews and searching the web is tedious and often misleading.

Anyways I plan on getting my machine by the end of next week and I hope to grab a few games with it. I am somewhat concerned about price so chances are I will be going the used or refurbished route.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a 3DS
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »
The 3DS does play (almost) all original DS games, including both physical releases and DSiWare.

There are two Mario platformers on 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2. I think both of them are really good, though I'd recommend the former over the latter. As for other things, there's a lot of variety, and I'm not sure what you'd be interested in. Fire Emblem: Awakening is very good, if you like strategy RPGs. If you never played Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii, the 3DS version is easily the best way to play that great game.

There's also a lot of great downloadable games on the system, with stuff like Mutant Mudds and Mighty Switch Force being great, traditional experiences there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
Yeah I am hoping to get a few good games when I pick it up. I took a really long break from gaming due to various personal reasons and now I am at a point where it is all I want to do again and I just missed out on so much.

I like Sega's Shining Force but I never tried Fire Emblem so I might look into that I hear nothing but good things from it. I sold my Wii when it looked like it was on the decline, around 08 I think, and I sort of lost interest from there so I haven't played anything newer than Wii Play I think was the last game I bought.

Is that DKC returns anything like SNES DKC or is it like the crappy GC stuff? I didn't like any of the DK games on N64 or GC they just were not appealing to me at all.

Quick question before I go look up some videos, is Mario 3D Land anything like the upcoming 3d world game? And will they be compatible in any way? That is the one game that might push me into getting a Wii U over a PS4, or at least first.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »
Super Mario 3D World looks like it will be very similar to 3D Land, but as far as I know there is no kind of connectivity between them. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a lot more similar to the SNES DKC games than it is to any other Donkey Kong games. It was built to be kind of a reboot of those games, in a similar vein to how the New Super Mario Bros. games are meant to be like the Mario 1-3 and World. There is also a sequel to that game coming to Wii U later this year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »
rule no1: GET AN XL, THE TACO HAS LITERALLY NO REASON TO EXIST.

rule no2: even if the 3DS launch was mediocre at best lets not overlook the games that did come to the system early on. super street fighter 4 3D edition was a remarkably solid port of the ps3/360(although now that the 3DS has a solid userbase we may wind up getting ultra at some point)

doa may be considered the laughing stock of fighting games but i have heard nothing but great things for the 3DS game(in terms of gameplay mind you.)

ridge racer i've heard is a solid arcade style racer that you can probably get on the cheap these days.

kid icarus uprising i hesitantly recommend if you can get it for cheap enough that you won't miss the entry price. its a very hit or miss title based on what i have seen of peoples reactions to it but when it hits it hits hard. and you can easily get it for like 15$ anyway so go for it.

fire emblem awakening just go out and get it now

ocarina of time 3d is an excellent game as well. if you haven't played oot on the n64/wiivc or one of the gc collections (god help you) get this version, if you have, its oot on the go, get it now. i honestly hate the n64 version. star fox 64 3d is also hands down the version of that game to get

resident evil revelations is a nice modern version of the horror formula that defines the early series.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
I happen to have OOT on N64, Gamecube Collectors Edition Disk, and had it on Wii VC so I am good there. Unless it is a substantial improvement in graphics I am fine with playing it on my Laptop.

I never cared for Ridge Racer or DOA to be honest. But that Street Fighter IV and New Super Mario Bros are two games that have me sold already. I think it sucks that Nintendo's handhelds continue to do so well but their consoles still get the shaft.

Those all sound like great suggestions. I will have to look at the Virtual Console and digital stuff latter. I am looking at getting used so I am not sure what my options will be but I think the XL is most likely it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »
Honestly, it's the best version of OOT. The controls are great, the 3DS looks good, and it's just an all around better experience than I've ever had with the game. If you really love that game, check it out.

If you like Pinball games, Zen 3D pinball looks insane with the 3D on.

And I have to disagree with Insano. I liked NSMB2 better. I've gone back to play more since it has streetpass features.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »
Capcom however has announced a new version of SF4 for early next year and now that the 3DS has a strong userbase it is very likely that they will bring it to 3DS.

Epic Mickey Power of Illusion may be worth a look however,

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »
based on suggestions, and doing some reading elsewhere I made my short list as follows

Zelda OOT 3d

Mario 3d land

DKC Returns 3D

Shinobi

Sonic Generations

Castlevania

Zelda Link Between Worlds

Resident Evil Revelations

Street Fighter IV

that should hold me over till new years when I will be deciding which console to get PS4 or Wii U.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »
That's a solid list. Very good games with a lot of variety among them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 02:12:50 PM »
rule no1: GET AN XL, THE TACO HAS LITERALLY NO REASON TO EXIST.
I disagree. It depends on your preferences. The original is a lot easier to carry around. My brother doesn't like the XL because it's too big. I like it because I play mostly at home, but it's significantly less comfortable walking around with it. I'm considering getting the Circle Pad Pro XL because I heard it's easier to hold while playing and I still need to play Kid Icarus Uprising which I haven't opened after almost a year.

I'd recommend Code of Princess which I saw for $30 recently (might even be cheaper elsewhere). The console version of Resident Evil Revelaitons is actually better than the 3DS one. There's also a recent rumor that Konami is porting Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate to PS3/360 (which was also hinted at earlier this year by the game's producer, David Cox) so that's something to consider.

Super Mario 3D Land is simply one of my favorite games ever. I will always recommend it.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
the size difference is actually smaller then you would think.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 03:04:22 PM »
No, just no. I own both. I carried each in my pockets separately and at the same time. So, no, the size difference between the original 3DS and an XL is not smaller than I think. The difference is as large as I know it is.

Source: personal experience

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »
The XL is simply better hardware than the original model. The only reason to buy the old one is if the larger size is an issue for you.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
Absolutely. That's why I've been planning on buying an XL since it was announced last year. However, for people such as my brother, the size is an issue. I offered to split an XL for him and he refused. That said, there certainly is a reason for the original to exist. Different strokes for different folks.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
They should just update the original model to essentially be a smaller version of the XL. I can't really think of anything else they'd need to do in a new model.

J.P. Corbran

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
What other differences are there besides size? I thought the XL just had a larger screen.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
The size of the system affects the grip and overall feel of the system. The screen size also increases the "sweet spot" or ideal angle of viewing the 3D effect..

They should just update the original model to essentially be a smaller version of the XL. I can't really think of anything else they'd need to do in a new model.

Nintendo should keep it the same size, shrink all the components and then fill the extra space with more battery.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
What other differences are there besides size? I thought the XL just had a larger screen.
well you see from what I have heard the 3DS XL has these brand new revolutionary features such "erogonomic design that actually fits comfortably in the hands of an average person" and another one called "build quality" which includes "a screen that doesn't scratch itself" in addition to "a D-pad thats worth the plastic its made of" and "a logical position for the stylus."

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 08:15:41 PM »
Well not to sound too flaky... But I was at Target yesterday and the Vita had some nice games for it that might interest me more. I think I am going to have some thinking to do. I am for sure getting a new hand held. I currently have an iPad Mini the school loaned me but that is a joke for gaming. Actually I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I will have to return in a few years.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »
Don't forget kid icarus uprising and fire enblem and ocarnia of time 3d and.... and.....
JUST BUY IT!
Also X&Y soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Made you look ****.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
The XL is simply better hardware than the original model. The only reason to buy the old one is if the larger size is an issue for you.
Plus older one comes with a full scale game download for free! e.g MK7 luigi's mansion etc.
Made you look ****.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »
Shinobi
Hardest game ever! (Well platformer anyway ,Master is unbeatable and easy is hard as @#$%)
Made you look ****.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 10:39:15 PM »
Try the Genesis Shinobi games, there is one that gives you one hit and you die no continues. I think it was Shadow Dancer but I could be remembering wrong. It's been a while and there are so many Shinobi games.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 10:40:09 PM »
I liked the cyber shinobi!
Made you look ****.