Author Topic: Wii U Future Predictions!  (Read 25857 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Future Predictions!
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
Ian is right, but fails to make a more important point. Wii U only matching the ps3's graphics isn't really an accomplishment, but only a sign of the times. Chances are when ps4 comes out it will only match what retro is doing.
The graphics era is hitting the wall. I'll do my more positive version of the future entitled "the backlash"
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 02:46:06 AM »
^apart from hitting the wall, graphics are becoming increasingly overrated, dont get me wrong i like nice graphics, zelda would be a great example of a game that can showcase nice graphics for wii u, but like you said, graphics after this generation are not going to go to far ahead.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Online Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 04:15:51 AM »
There's also the money factor.  Even if the 720/PS4 do offer a bigger leap in hardware power, in order for studio's to really achieve noticeably better graphics, it'll require larger teams and bigger budgets.  People have to remember the best looking games on systems are usually the ones with the biggest budgets.  Well large budgets are already the number one reason for so many studio's shutting down this last gen and other losing big because the giant jump 360/PS3 development required.

This is another reason I don't really fear the Wii U not being able to get 720/PS4 ports because even if their hardware is way more powerful, how many studio's will be able to afford the price it'll take to show it?  Spend on average 20-30 million to make games that look slightly better on the 720/PS4 but can still be ported to the Wii U, or 50-60 million to make games that are much better looking but can't be ported?  How many studio's will be able to afford the second option all next gen?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 04:37:46 AM »
Now "The Backlash" prediction, which could have positive benefits for Nintendo.

One of the things that has been a problem with game design has been that it takes 30+ people to design a game. This can be good however...a computer can design a better game through algoriths.

Thats not to say humans won't be around tweaking what the computer outputs. Having played minecraft the first week or so was just me tunneling. When I first started playing I had no idea the entire world was randomly generated. I was amazed traveling through all the tunnels and caves, and in  a way building my own world. So, this taught me 2 innovations. 1 it will be easier to build levels 2 most of the work could be done by computer. There are several ways to make a game, usually you build a level in some 3d suite and then import it into an editr, or you build it in an editor like world craft. I've done all of this, but level design in minecraft is quite revolutionary. Its much easier(to some extant), if you were to combine this with all of the power of a 3d suite you could build levels pretty fast. Actually building stuff in the unreal 4 suite looks pretty streamlined and simple. Which brings me to the future of making games. Games will be made faster and with more polish than ever before.

so how will this benefit the wii u? Indy developers will make lots of games for wii u ware. Indy developers will actually make lots of games on the other systems as well. However, maybe Indy developers will snub the other systems. If I were a devloper I totally would. Why? is it my loyalty? No, i'm just tired of hearing "Nintendo is kiddy" bullshit. Its the unchanging annoyingly static thing that never changes despite Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Eternal Darkness, exclusive resident evil games, getting metal gear, getting silent hill, having most wii u launch games be mature rated games, the wii version of manhunt 2. I here devlopers say this and it makes me sick. It makes no sense. Its a self fulfilling prophesy. The truth is any console is a canvas, and if you paint it, you paint it how you want it. If you build it, they will come. Which means if you actually put some effort into something in this case maybe it will sell. I hear this almost timely excuse from developers saying their game didnt sell. Maybe because it was a 2 year old port? maybe because it was a mediocre effort? maybe because you didn't market it right? Basically what i'm annoyed by is the propagation of the idea. I would seek to end it.  You reap what you sow, your attitude plays a role in determining results. If I was making a game though, I would probably market it better though. How? Forums, Magazines, website exclusives, steady screenshot and video updates. Basically, knowing how to generate hype. Not everyone knows how to do this.

this really is a rambling rant, but it has some ideas in it. I'm sure many know what im getting at.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:42:18 AM by ThePerm »

Offline DarthKoopa

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
I predict an evolving set of features in Miiverse. In less than one year Nintendo will allow for user created communities. Miiverse will continue to be the killer app of the WII U. I also think a version of the Miiverse will come to the 3DS.

ALso our WII U s wii become self aware on Dec 21st and kill us all.
Toynbee Idea. In movie 2001. Resurrect Dead. On planet Jupiter.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
I understand that launch titles might be made on in-progress hardware and I'm certainly excited to see what Retro or Monolith do.  But I'm already paying attention here.  The average person just sees these very unexceptional looking games.

Core gamers will be turned off if the Wii U is a generation behind.  Nintendo hiding the specs and not demonstrating the hardware power in any way in their first batch of games does not establish the system as next gen.  The natural assumption is that they're hiding the specs becaues the specs suck and the games look like PS3 games because they can't look better.  I understand the real reasons but at first thought that's what it looks like.  So something with some really impressive visuals would settle this issue, so it's important for Nintendo to bring such a game out ASAP.  It should be showing up at E3.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 01:47:28 PM »
Will they? will they even be able to tell the difference?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWTZ42xeSMzx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQEOwEBvC-M&feature=showob
these are high end(upcoming) games on ps3/xbox360

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8
this is an unreal 4 demo

as you can see, the unreal engine game looks better, but not so much better that it matters. Games can look pretty darn good on ps3 or xbox 360 even, if a port happens the difference is it wont have as fancy of lighting. The Wii U is more powerful than the ps360 mainly because it has a graphics processor that is well outclassing those systems. So the best Wii U games should look better than the two examples shown.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
I love you perm! You are right, In Nintendo we trust:p or something like that.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »
3. Western companies won't get in on this unless ZombiiU moves massive units.
Shaymin, according to Miiverse and the game icons with surrounding Miis showing popularity, ZombiU has a very legitimate following. Granted, it's not as extreme as NSMBU and Nintendo Land, but it's definitely the biggest of any of the third-party games.

I hope sales are going well for the game. I hope to get it for Christmas.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 11:12:38 PM »
3. Western companies won't get in on this unless ZombiiU moves massive units.
Shaymin, according to Miiverse and the game icons with surrounding Miis showing popularity, ZombiU has a very legitimate following. Granted, it's not as extreme as NSMBU and Nintendo Land, but it's definitely the biggest of any of the third-party games.

I hope sales are going well for the game. I hope to get it for Christmas.

I wonder how closely the community numbers correlate to sales.. I feel bad when I see how tiny the Ninja Gaiden community is. I want to get it but I've never really played the series (outside of the NES games) so I don't know if I would be willing to spend the money, at least not at this time.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »
The Ninja Gaiden series is really too hardcore for most gamers, even core gamers.  I feel it may sell well, just because it is on a system and is a mature, core game at launch...surrounded by not much else.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 02:57:53 AM »
I plan on getting Ninja Gaiden, but 4 games at launch really is too much.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MorganPoe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »
really! that's pretty cool ideas. thanks folks.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »

I have 6. Does that make me hardcore? Ugh...
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »

I have 6. Does that make me hardcore? Ugh...
I'm still wanting to pick up Zombi U, Ninja Gaiden 3: RE, ACIII, TTT2, and CoD:BO2. And this is after already getting FIFA '13, NSMBU, Nintendo Land, and Darksiders II. Holy goodness! >_<
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »
Out of all the launch titles, the only others I would want would be Darksiders II and Ninja Gaiden 3. Darksiders because I've always hard the Zelda comparisons and I'd want to check it out myself, but I don't have the time for that kind of game at this time which is why I skipped it for the time being. Ninja Gaiden 3 because I've heard it can be brutal and I want a game that can challenge me, I feel like I haven't played anything that has been hair-pulling difficult since Ikaruga.

But yeah, 6 launch games is a lot, by far the most I've ever purchased at a system's launch. It didn't help that TRU had a sale on Wii U games for black friday. If it weren't for that I may of waited until at least after Xmas - giving me plenty of time with Nintendo Land and Zombi U - to pick up another game, and it would of likely only been 1 or 2 games, not 4 on the same day :/

edit Ok so I was looking at a list of the launch games, and I own 6 of 28, and definitely want to check out at least 2 more of the first 28. Certain things like Scribblenauts and Tekken look appealing, but I'll likely never pick them up on my own unless they we're years into the Wii U's lifespan and they hit dirt cheap prices.

Out of the "launch window" titles I found listed, there are two that I really want (007: Legends and Pikmin 3) and two additional "maybe" titles Game & Wario (don't know much about it but I trust Nintendo to make good games) as well as Lego City Undercover (That trailer cracked me up, it looks like a fun sandbox game that I can play with some of my younger relatives).

In a perfect world where money and time weren't issues, and I could have all those games, that would be a total of 12 Wii U games I could own, only within the first 4 months of launch. I don't think I can consider myself a lapsed gamer anymore :/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:29:33 PM by EasyCure »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »
Minor, but there were 26 launch games, not 28.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Minor, but there were 26 launch games, not 28.

The list I saw may have been old or included an eShop title or two, as some of the games listed I didn't recognize (and I don't follow the eShop very closely, so that is my assumption). Or I could of miscounted since I was trying to post quickly :p

Either way, the fact that I very well could own a total of 12 games within the first few months of the systems launch is saying something. Yes some of them might be ports but I missed out on those games as I didn't own any system besides the Wii, and they're still good games.

Looking at the Wii launch titles, there are a total of 6 games I owned but only 3 of them I got on Day 1, and 1 of those 3 was Wii Sports.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »
Since I have no where to put this, and because I think having the Gamepad control the first person segments of Metroid Prime would've made the game AWESOME(!) I'm just gonna leave this here:

People always talk about having a steampunk Zelda, but this t-shirt design makes me want a steampunk Metroid, bad!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 09:33:09 PM »
God no, it clashes so much. I don't want that crap subgenre of sci fi anywhere near Metroid, Zelda (it would be so wrong for the Zelda franchise that it's not even funny), Mario, Pokemon, or anything else. MAYBE it could work with F-Zero.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »
lol damn relax man, first of all I wasn't even serious nor do I fully understand what steampunk is. I just really like the design there.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »
I kinda want to see a futuristic Zelda and a medieval Metroid

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
People always talk about having a steampunk Zelda, but this t-shirt design makes me want a steampunk Metroid, bad!
I wouldn't mind seeing more steampunk Metroid. I saw this a few months ago. It would make a neat-o what-if scenario.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 01:29:10 AM »
Steampunk...only works when the machines and devices are plausible.  A powersuit is not plausible with Steam punk technology...and so I don't like it.

And yes, I know the point of steampunk is to create impossible iventions that use the technology, but besides looking cool...usually those devices are plan stupid. 

So, as much as I don't want to see it done...Steampunk can only be carried over to the Zelda franchise and work...and it could work quite well actually.  Zelda has already visited the idea of more advanced technology in its series with UFOs, trains, and more.  So why not steampunk? 

Now, I don't want Zelda to go futuristic or anything, because that would be dumb.  I can't take some of the final fantasy games seriously that have sword guns and such.  In a world with guns and magic you really don't need swords and such.  Just saying...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »
Steampunk...only works when the machines and devices are plausible.  A powersuit is not plausible with Steam punk technology...and so I don't like it.
And a powersuit built by highly intelligent intergalactic anthropomorphic bird people is?