Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. 2 DLC Plans Announced for North America  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
New Super Mario Bros. 2 DLC Plans Announced for North America
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »

Who's excited?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31955

The first pack of downloadable Coin Rush levels for New Super Mario Bros. 2 will be available in North America on October 4. The three-level set is the same as announced for Japan previously. Each pack costs $2.50, and names for the levels are below:

Three-Pack Set (1, 2, 3) 
1: Gold Rush Pack 
2: Coin Challenge Pack A 
3: Nerve-Wrack Pack 

The Nintendo Direct was hosted by Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime and featured gameplay from the DLC. 

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2 DLC Plans Announced for North America
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
Leaderboards are only available in one Coin Rush pack? Why couldn't Nintendo have separate leaderboards for every single pack?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
That's way too much for me, I'll be passing
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »
DLC should be free. This goes out to all gaming companies. I hate the thought of being nickle and dimed.

Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
I don't think all DLC should be free. There should be a mix, depending on what it is. Micro-transactions can be egregiously priced at times. $1 for a piece of armor? That's like saying 60 of those is worth the entirely of the game itself. New levels and such are the only things I would pay money for, but that's just me. I can deal with not having a costume pack or something whereas additional gameplay is far more alluring.

That said, I would consider this NSMB2 DLC. They look fun. I wonder if they'll ever go on sale though I don't have the game yet.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:26:37 PM by Adrock »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
Need I remind everyone that for Mario Advance 4, the e-Reader cards costed $6 and got 5 levels out of them.  So even at $2.50 for a pack of 3 levels, we're still getting a better deal with this game then the last time Nintendo had DLC levels for a Mario game.

Not to mention we'll all be able to download these levels, unlike Mario Advance 4 were some of these cards were only available at certain stores and some were exclusive to just Japan or North America.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:37:09 PM »
I always felt that DLC should have a name your own price model.

Simply because developers made an extra level or quest doesn't mean their entitled to charge for it. But on the flip side, if you really enjoyed the game and are happy to see new content for it, then why not show your appreciation?

If the market went this way, then games on launch would be a much tighter package, and developers and people could both look forward to DLC if the game was well received.

Just a thought.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
Need I remind everyone that for Mario Advance 4, the e-Reader cards costed $6 and got 5 levels out of them.  So even at $2.50 for a pack of 3 levels, we're still getting a better deal with this game then the last time Nintendo had DLC levels for a Mario game.
You don't. Anyone who thinks the DLC's price is unacceptable probably also thought the e-reader cards were as well. Getting a better deal today doesn't automatically make it a good one.

For the record, I think the price is okay. I'm only explaining why people might still think it's too much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
Simply because developers made an extra level or quest doesn't mean their entitled to charge for it.

They used time and resources to expand the game even more and give you extra content, they are more than entitled to charge for it. I do think that crap like skin packs should be free (Capcom charging for Street Fighter skins), but I don't thin anyone should feel entitled to free levels and stuff like that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »
EDIT: WEIRD.

But that extra content as it is now could just be withheld resources. There's no way of telling and thus, there is no way of knowing if the customer is getting screwed. Look at Capcom and their DLC-on-disc debacle.

Now I hope that the majority of developers aren't actively trying to screw their fans, but I wouldn't put it past them or especially their publishers.

There is a lack of trust.

So why not just let your fans dictate the worth of your DLC? That way we know for a fact that it was made close to or after the game's release. And we also know that we'll become more loyal just for the fact that you gave us some power as fans.

Yes, there will be people who take advantage of said company, but you know what? If you're game was good enough to be taken advantage of, then you are in a position of luxury.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:36:31 PM by Stogi »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »
I do think that crap like skin packs should be free (Capcom charging for Street Fighter skins), but I don't thin anyone should feel entitled to free levels and stuff like that.
Skins are exactly the type of DLC I wouldn't pay for (though a Daisy character skin for Peach in Smash Bros. would be tempting). Free may be asking a bit much. Being coupled with like a level/character pack would be an extra incentive for anyone on the fence and a bonus for people who were buying anyway. That would make it "free" in a manner of speaking.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »
Name your own price doesn't have to mean free. You can start with zero if you wanted, but you could also start with a million.

Why I think this has never been done is because Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft need their cut no matter what...on every download. Bandwidth surely isn't free.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »
Hmm, about 50 cents more than I expected, but then again, I've spent more on worse DLC.

I'd like to see a floating polygonal Reggie head next time, NoA! Then maybe I won't spend the next video trying to figure out what all that crap on that shelf behind him is.

Offline koovaps

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »
Name your own pricing models are ridiculous. It's simply a way for loyal, paying customers to subsidize cheap bastards who think everything should be free. I'll happily pay $2.50 each for these level packs.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »
But would you pay for DLC that's already on the disc?

And no they aren't ridiculous. Radiohead did this with their last album and made MORE money than they ever have.

Offline koovaps

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:10 PM »
Yes, ridiculous. And no, that was not Radiohead's last album. And they did not use pay what you want a second time.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 05:42:18 AM »
They came out with a new album? Damn, I need to get that.

And they probably used the sales as leverage to get a better deal from their label.

Offline koovaps

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 07:58:04 AM »
You may be right. I mostly have a problem with products being valued at zero. I don't mind a cheaper base price to allow a wider audience, and then pay more as you want, with possible proceeds to charity as incentive.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
But would you pay for DLC that's already on the disc?

And no they aren't ridiculous. Radiohead did this with their last album and made MORE money than they ever have.

But the level packs were not already on the cartridge. They were created after the game shipped, which is how all DLC should be made.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 12:11:30 PM »
They came out with a new album? Damn, I need to get that.

And they probably used the sales as leverage to get a better deal from their label.

It's not like they only did the name your own price digital release, they also released a physical disc, which was responsible for a good chunk of the sales. Their most recent album is The King of Lambs, which came out in February 2011.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20