Author Topic: Bands that I like (but other people hate)...  (Read 16635 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Bands that I like (but other people hate)...
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
I'm changing the topic of this thread to bands that I like (but other people hate).

First up: Matchbox Twenty (including Rob Thomas' solo work)

Discuss.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:53:59 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Matchbox Twenty
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
To be honest, I am not sure I ever listed to their music. The closest I have come is hearing Rob Thomas sing on Santana's song "Smooth", which I liked.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »
I used to like Mathbox 20 when I was a coming-of-age woman.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »
Matchbox 20 are horrible, like approaching Nickelback levels of horrible. The only thing worse than their music is their band name.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
I used to like Mathbox 20 when I was a coming-of-age woman.
+1, sir. Bravo.

At first, I thought, "That doesn't sound like Brandogg at all..." then I thought, "That sounds exactly like Brandogg."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »
The only good thing about Matchbox 20 was the episode of Always Sunny where the lead singer was in the mental hospital with Sinbad and Dennis.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »
Matchbox 20 are horrible, like approaching Nickelback levels of horrible. The only thing worse than their music is their band name.

At least Matchbox Twenty can write songs. And what's wrong with their bluesy/grunge/pop sound?

Nickleback is decent, better than all that screamo/emo **** that was popular a few years ago. But anything is better than that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:19:56 PM »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »
Nickelback actually are pretty good, but haters are gonna hate.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 11:20:57 PM »
... the day that they invent stabbing over IP will be a glorious one indeed.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:53 PM »
Nickleback is decent

Listen to their newer music.

And if you think Nickleback is garbage, then you might as well throw stones at every other major hard rock band throughout history.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 05:20:09 AM »
I hate you and the bands you like!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 12:22:58 PM »
In the late 90s post-grunge like Matchbox Twenty and nu metal pretty much derailed mainstream rock music.  So Matchbox Twenty is not exactly one of my favourite bands.  Still like them better than Nickelback though.  Matchbox Twenty is mostly just boring and lame.  Listening to Nickelback is insufferable.

My brother likes to point out that "we hated Nickelback before it was cool".  In fact we hated Nickelback before THEY were cool.  We hated them when they were getting airplay on Vancouver stations but had not yet broken in the US.  While there is a vindicating feeling that we were "right all along", it's annoying that it's so trendy to hate Nickelback now because people assume I'm just following the trend.  Same with my general hatred of Limp Bizkit and Creed.  EVERYONE hates those bands now.

Of course shitty-but-successful rock bands have existed forever.  Arena rock and hair metal are just as much the butt of jokes as post grunge and nu metal.  The one difference is that those genres are corny and campy.  No, Styx is not a good band but they're so unintentionally silly there's a "so bad, it's good" quality to it.  The problem with post grunge bands is that they're SUPER DUPER SERIOUS.  So when "This Is How You Remind Me" comes on the radio it's not silly goofy fun like "Come Sail Away".  It's like the most self-important serious rock song ever written done very very poorly.  There's no camp, there's no fun.

One has tolerance for music they find silly but zero tolerance for music they just think is outright bad.  And naturally popular music attracts more hatred because you cannot escape it.  I think the Soft Machine totally suck but I never ever hear them in public so it doesn't matter.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »
"I hated Nickelback before you did. Now, hating them is just too mainstream." -Hipster Ian

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 02:41:13 PM »
"I hated Nickelback before you did. Now, hating them is just too mainstream." -Hipster Ian

I think what I dislike is that no one thinks of Nickelback hate as a legitimate opinion one may have anymore.  Instead it's just like a thing, you know?  Where as before if someone asked what I thought of the band my response would be considered as my actual opinion.  Now it's like "oh yeah, sure you hate them" and it gets blown off.  Hell the fans will now try harder to get me to like them because they assume I'm just spouting off the cliche.  Surely I don't actually dislike them, I'm just listening too much to the media or the internet or whatever so I owe it to myself to give them a chance.  Years ago anyone who was a fan just took my word for it that I personally didn't like them and left it at that.  Now they gotta try to win me over.

This can happen with anything.  If your opinion happens to match a cliche, your opinion is dismissed because it doesn't come across as independent.  You sound like a drone so everyone assumes you don't actually have any sort of relevant opinion.

If you flip it around and say you love the Beatles no one thinks you REALLY love the Beatles.  Surely you're just following some cliche trend opinion, right?  That's not a "real" opinion.  Of course they could legitimately be your favourite band and you could be very familiar with all sorts of bands.  But if you list the Beatles is your favourite band everyone will try to sell you on other bands because surely you know dick about music if your favourite band is such a cliche.  Hell, my favourite band is Led Zeppelin but when I tell someone that they often get this bored look on their face.  "Oh, Ian must not know music.  He just picked one of the most popular bands ever as his favourite.  No point discussing music with him because he'll contribute nothing of interest to the conversation."  Though in high school people actually believed that Zeppelin was legitimately my favourite band because in high school everyone listens to current music and liking something from before you were born is uncommon enough to come across as an independent legitimate opinion.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »
In the late 90s post-grunge like Matchbox Twenty and nu metal pretty much derailed mainstream rock music.  So Matchbox Twenty is not exactly one of my favourite bands.  Still like them better than Nickelback though.  Matchbox Twenty is mostly just boring and lame.  Listening to Nickelback is insufferable.

Matchbox Twenty isn't really a grunge band. They're more of a pop-rock/alternative rock band with some soul influences (in their more recent songs).

Nickleback and Matchbox Twenty sound nothing alike, so they shouldn't be lumped in the same genre. Modern grunge bands are:  Daughtry, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, etc.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:47:37 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
Matchbox Twenty and Nickelback don't sound alike but you mentioned 3 Doors Down and they sure sound a lot like Matchbox Twenty to me.  Maybe it's just the Southern drawl in the singer's voice.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »
ITS 3AM I MUST BE LONELY
SHE SAYS BABY

THE CLOCK ON THE WALL HAS BEEN STUCK AT 3 FOR DAYS... AND DAYS

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
Ian Sane that is probably one of the best posts I've read here in a long time (#12).

Nickelback is terrible, and TJ's logic of just hating them because they're popular is absurd, and just shows that he has poor taste in music. 3 Doors Down are very much like Nickelback - though I do have a soft spot for 3 Doors Down because I saw them get booed off the stage at a day-long multi-band concert before. They did do a cool drum solo to show off their new drummer (at the time), and he was legitimately bad-ass, but I still do not enjoy their music...just feel sorry for them. To be fair, they probably didn't choose to be at that show - it was headlined by Godsmack (who also sucks) - not exactly the same genre (unless you consider  bad music a genre). But I digress...

And none of those bands are modern day grunge, they are just pop-rock. Grunge was Nirvana, Alice in Chains (though they could also be considered metal in some instances), Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. Modern day grunge would be bands like Seether, Puddle of Mudd (if they still make music, anyway)...and that's all I can (or care to) think of...I don't listen to the radio anyway.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
Also Adrock I applaud you for applauding me, and for your excellent grammar at all times.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
Brandogg, I never said he hated Nickelback because they are popular. I said some people just hate them because it's popular to hate them.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 09:14:51 PM »
Nickelback is emblematic of everything that's wrong with the modern music industry. The hatred isn't really about them as much as it is about the state of current popular music.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »

Modern day grunge would be bands like Seether, Puddle of Mudd (if they still make music, anyway)...and that's all I can (or care to) think of...I don't listen to the radio anyway.

Puddle of Mudd is terrible. They're a poor imitation of Nirvana.

I guess you could call Papa Roach and Chevelle modern grunge/metal (hybrid) bands too. But I don't like categorizing music. People are so focused on categorizing and labeling everything; why can't we just listen to the music we enjoy and not worry about pointless labels?

It seems that only rock music has all these "subgenres". Country, jazz, rap (etc.) stay focused in their "main" genres.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 10:18:50 PM »
Jazz has tons of sub-genres. Country also has several.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »
Jazz has tons of sub-genres. Country also has several.

JAZZ
Jazz, jazz fusion, swing, big-band, etc.

COUNTRY
Country, country-rock, country-soul, bluegrass, etc.

But like I said earlier, I don't care about categorizing or labeling music. Just listen to what you like, whether it's rock, metal, rap, R&B, country, techno, or any of the endless subgenres that people make up on a montly basis.

And dubstep is the worst music ever. :D