Author Topic: Persons and their 'things'.  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Persons and their 'things'.
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:52:15 PM »
I've came to a realisation in recent weeks that I'm the type of person who get's weirdly attached to 'things'. I place undue importance on objects, particurly those which I've had for a long time and which have become sentimentally valuable.

I have for instance had the same canvas bag since I was 14. It's covered in drawings, frayed and battered, and has been across Europe several times over. Which is why 2 weeks ago I nearly freaked out when I thought it lost.

I also have a guitar (which I have named Rob) which over the years I have customised by filing and painting. I purchased it 8 years ago for £50 after I used my previous one for an art project. It has a decent sound, but I can't bring myself to replace it.

I have a grey jumper which was clearly made for a man twice my size. I can't even remember where I got it. It's way past it's usefulness as jumper, with holes at the elbows and at a seam towards the back. Yet it's the one I wear most often.

I have a Led Zeppelin DVD which has been lent to every person I've ever had the pleasure to know. Within a week of meeting someone I'm likely to force into their hands and ask them to watch the chapter where Bonzo plays 'Moby Dick'. The disc skips here and there, and the ridiculously impractical cardboard box has long since disintegrated. I got rid of most of my DVD years ago. Yet this DVD now sits in a blank Wii case.

I have an orange juice stained copy of 'Homage to Catalonia', for which I've stapled the pages back in place after the spine broke.

Does anyone else find themselves to be overly sentimental about their 'things'? Or am I just crazy?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:49:57 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Persons and their 'things'.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
used to
then I got married
really helped me focus
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Persons and their 'things'.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »
I have that same problem. "The Velveteen Rabbit" really screwed me up. I have an inordinately hard time throwing things away or donating them. It's almost a hoarder mentality: maybe I'll use that someday.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.