Author Topic: What's the problem with Community Nights?  (Read 13317 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
What's the problem with Community Nights?
« on: July 30, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
We haven't been getting great turnout for these events, and I'd like to have your input on why that might be. If you haven't been coming, why not? Is there anything I could change about them to make you more interested? If you have come, what could we do to make them better?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: What's the problem with Community Nights?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:06:33 PM »
Give us more time to prepare. Two days isn't enough for some people.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:17:30 PM »
This might seem odd, but I'm thinking there'd be better turn out at community night if:
A) The chat room became a more prominent fixture of the site.  You know how hopping it is during live newscasts and E3... why can't it be half that hopping all of the time?

B) Instead of only having one game (even more so, a new game that had, apparently, somewhat limited distribution), it should be open play.

C) It should be a weekly thing.  Same night, every week.  At least once a month (Third Thursday of every month or such).
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
Give us more time to prepare. Two days isn't enough for some people.

I've been getting it up Friday at the latest lately; I'll try to get it up earlier if I can. They're every Monday at 9 Eastern, though, so the article is just an announcement of which game it's going to be.

This might seem odd, but I'm thinking there'd be better turn out at community night if:
A) The chat room became a more prominent fixture of the site.  You know how hopping it is during live newscasts and E3... why can't it be half that hopping all of the time?

Believe me, this is pretty much my number one goal as Community Manager right now. If you have any ideas on how to do that, I welcome them.

B) Instead of only having one game (even more so, a new game that had, apparently, somewhat limited distribution), it should be open play.

The problem with this is we'd need to get a lot more people coming for that to be feasible, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll do that next week.

C) It should be a weekly thing.  Same night, every week.  At least once a month (Third Thursday of every month or such).

Now this one upsets me, because we've been doing them every Monday at 9 Eastern/6 Pacific for months now. Maybe the problem is lack of exposure, but I'm not sure how else I could get the word out.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:43:19 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
I already have an obligation at that time.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:16 AM »
What time would work better for you?

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:12:23 AM »
I'm not sure if i'm representative of the whole community, but the only 3DS game I have that's conductive to these community nights is Mariokart.  I don't have any Wii games that put much emphasis on online multiplayer, and the ones I used to have didn't ever seem to work well for me.

I think part of the problem may just be Nintendo's lack of multiplayer online focus coupled with us being in a transition period between Wii and Wii U.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
Is the Chat link in the menu bar new?  I just noticed it today (before checking this thread) and thought it was a neat idea worth checking out sometime.

There are two key reasons why I don't join Community nights:

First, I just don't own the right games. The only online-enabled 3DS game I own is Resident Evil Revelations, and I think the last time I owned a game that was getting played was Excitebots - a game that doesn't really appeal to me anyway. (Part of this is probably because I typically don't enjoy online gaming; Monster Hunter and Counter Strike are the only exceptions that come to mind.)

Second is that I have a new baby and family responsibilities that make it tough to dedicate time to gaming in the evenings. It's possible to get "time off" when I leave the house for an event, but saying that I'm busy playing video games with friends does not go over well when my wife wants help with a crying baby.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
It is about 1 to 2 hours too early for me most of the time. Once a week seems a bit too frequent, too.

I'd go with bi-weekly,  first Monday and third Thursday of each month, to make sure you can catch folks that have a commitment on one of the nights but not the other. And I like the idea of it being a choose-your-game event each time. Let the community decide what it wants to play. Folks can just show up and use the chat to hook up and play whatever seems fun in the moment. Multiple games could be going at once, that's fine. I don't mind playing whatever, with just one or two others at a time. I am OK with that. It also gives folks a chance to jump into multiple different games of an evening. Plus, the "anything goes" aspect could actually draw more participation. If you pre-dictate the game each time, that will immediately dismiss whomever does not have the game and whomever else simply isn't intrested in that particular game at the time. In short, do less community "managing" and more community "facilitating".  :cool;
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
Change the name to Boogie Nights.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
I have just been to busy with other things to be honest and I have other sites that I have to people to depend on me. Also if they have been each Monday for the past few months I dont have much time for myself and on Monday,Tuesday and Saturdays are the only days I have to myself really. I have Nintemple chat on Wednesdays and Sundays that pretty much goes from the afternoon till when we get done which can run for a few hours to 8 hours or so. It varies. Then on Thursdays and Fridays I host over on Social Dissonance.com hunting nights which go from 3 pm PST till we are done which varies again from a few hours to several hours so I like to keep those 3 days to myself for my normal gaming days to try and tackle my backlog of games and to try to get my data back from my corrupted save files that my Wii had.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
and I have other sites

What?!?!?! Are you saying that NWR can't fulfill all your internet Nintendo needs? I think you are just using it wrong then. The only other site you should need is Pietriots because they have a humour to them that they brought to this site but took with them when they formed up their site.

Personally, NWR is all I've ever needed.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
I'd love to participate but as I'm living in Germany (CET) I probably won't. Unless we could organize a separate CN for the european members.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
and I have other sites

What?!?!?! Are you saying that NWR can't fulfill all your internet Nintendo needs? I think you are just using it wrong then. The only other site you should need is Pietriots because they have a humour to them that they brought to this site but took with them when they formed up their site.

Personally, NWR is all I've ever needed.

NWR pushed me away to the other sites. I am surprised I am still here.

That is beside the point though of this topic it is to get the community together which is nice. Insanolord do you tweet about the community game nights a few days before they happen and the day they happen?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »
What did NWR do? :(

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
I want to, and everytime I see that post for a Community night, I groan in envy.   9pm ET is 5pm in California, where I am.  While I would love it if my kids and my wife were asleep in bed at that time, that just will never happen.   I don't get any gaming free time until up 10pm Pacific, which would be 2AM ET.  Not fair to all you East coasters.   Can't expect you to drink coffee and munch on your Dunkin' Donuts waiting for my ass.

NWR pushed me away to the other sites. I am surprised I am still here.

I could totally see where you're coming from.   Look at all the other gaming sites out there.   As of 10:00AM Pacific, this is the awesome content you can find on the front page of the other sites:

IGN - Pictures of Cats in the IGN offices, review of Deadlight, some fat guy in a suit pimping his video podcast
1up - An article about unreliable narrators in games, with a picture of Big Daddy.  Yup, that doesn't spoil Bioshock at all, no siree bob.  Oh, and a review of Deadlight.
Kotaku - 11 Great Video Game Wedding Invitations.   Yup, the title of that article says it all.
Gamespot - A feature article wondering what if the Nanosuit from Crysis were real?

Yup, indisputable evidence of how NWR's reliable Nintendo coverage pales in comparison of your other gaming website alternatives.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 01:46:58 PM »
I don't think it was the content of the site but most likely friction from other members on the forum that made him feel pushed away.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »
You are so perceptive Khushrenada.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »
I want to, and everytime I see that post for a Community night, I groan in envy.   9pm ET is 5pm in California, where I am.  While I would love it if my kids and my wife were asleep in bed at that time, that just will never happen.   I don't get any gaming free time until up 10pm Pacific, which would be 2AM ET.  Not fair to all you East coasters.   Can't expect you to drink coffee and munch on your Dunkin' Donuts waiting for my ass.

(Isn't there only 3 hours time difference between Eastern and Pacific?  Unless there is some form or daylight savings shenanigans going on that I don't know about.  I'm in the Atlantic timezone, and we are 1 hour off Eastern and 4 hours off Pacific.)

That said, time zones are always a big issue.  Especially when there are a good number of people on the site with jobs/families.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
And on that note, I think part of the problem with community nights are multiple. I'll list what I think are all factors.

1. Fractured base. People are split across multiple timezones so there's never going to be a perfect time of when to make the community night.

2. The community is ever changing. The prolific posters we had 8 years ago are not the same prolific posters we had 4 years ago who are not the same prolific users we have today. There are a few stand-out names that have continued regularly across that span but I can see it in the mafia games for instance of the ever changing wave of people.

This in turn makes it hard to keep the same connections and it also makes up part of a larger question, what is "our community"?

3. Taking a look at the 3DS Friend code, from a quick rough estimate I'd say 15 - 20% are names of people I recognize. The rest are people who posted their code but have shown up nowhere on the forum or at least any thread I can remember. Think to of the stationary thread. Tons of codes by brand new people who then promptly disappeared when they got what they wanted. So, if only 15 - 20% of the people are regulars, even at 100% participation by those people, it's still going to be a low number.

4. Not everyone is going to have the game that is being played that night but that's something I'm sure is expected.

5. People may not have an interest in online play. I, personally, dont. I'm a single player type of gamer. It was interesting when Mario Kart DS came out to try it. But it soon became broken with people dropping out so as not to have a loss to their record and snaking. I played one battle of Advance Wars: Day of Ruins online with somebody here but that was years ago. And I can't really think of much else I might have done aside from trade some tickets or something for Metroid Prime 3. Generally, if I'm using online play, it is because it is necessary to so that I can complete a game 100%. It's selfish I suppose but if I'm playing something multiplayer, I'm doing it with people in the same room as myself. It's a lot more fun than the silence of playing online with no around. It's silent because I don't want to hear some bonehead cussing and swearing constantly because that's "smack talk."

6. In the same vein as 5, there doesn't seem to be any benefit to it. I think you usually end up with more negative experiences sometimes than positive. But maybe I'm just being a pessimist. Yes, playing against real people is better than a simple A.I. but I guess I'm satisfied with the challenge the game offers on it's own and when I do play multiplayer, like I said, I prefer to do it with people in the same room as me becuase you can do more than just play games at the same time. It's more of an event I guess.

Anyways, that's my thoughts on the matter and I know everyone has their own views so don't let mine get you down.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »
Heroes of Ruin only had three people including me show up for it since it's such a new game, but the daily challenges in that game definitely make it a benefit to show up for online multiplayer in many cases.

Edit: The Heroes of Ruin Community members who showed up were there at 8:00PM and 9:00PM PDT instead of the posted 6:00 PM PDT posted time, so different people's schedules were definitely a factor.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:31:21 PM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »
I want to, and everytime I see that post for a Community night, I groan in envy.   9pm ET is 5pm in California, where I am.

Like ejamer pointed out, there's only a three hour difference, so 9 PM Eastern is 6 PM Pacific.

The reason I don't join is that I'm rarely free enough to play a game before 9 Pacific on the weekdays, and my availability is extremely sporadic on the weekends. Admittedly, I make a point of watching Monday Night Football when it's on, even if it means rearranging my entire schedule. But that's because it's football.

I do have a few thoughts, although I'm not sure how likely they are to help. First, why not create a thread in the handheld or console forums a few more days in advance for each community night? Or at least put up the news article a few days earlier. I know there's an article on the front page, but by Friday evening I'm unlikely to visit news sites or forums, and judging by the drop off in weekend activity on other forums I visit I believe I'm in the majority.

Second, I'm curious to hear if participation increases when the community night is announced on the podcast(s). I would imagine the exposure certainly wouldn't hurt, but unless I tune out at the wrong times I haven't noticed those announcements as much lately.

The third issue is simply time zones, as leahsdad already said. Us West Coasters are either still working or just getting home at that time. But if you push it back the East Coasters might miss out. This one might just be an unfortunate reality.  :@

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
Okay, I think because of this thread I'm going to try bumping back the event to 10 Eastern/7 Pacific. Is there a day that works better than Monday for people? I'd like to get the article up by tomorrow at the latest.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »
There's going to be football on Mondays and Thursdays, and everyone's busy on Friday, so...Tuesday/Wednesday?

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
I try to participate in every Mario Kart night, but I decided Mario Tennis Open was NOT worth it at $40 so did not buy it and I cannot stand the on-the-ground controls of Kid Icarus and all the multiplayer gameplay is on the ground.  I will not be buying Heroes of Ruin.  As a relative newcomer to the forums I love the community nights when I can participate, even if I have yet to get first place in a kart race  ;D

Oh and PS 10 PM sounds good to me.  Perfect way to end a night.

Oh oh and PPS I can't wait until we can have these community nights on a Nintendo CONSOLE!  Wonder of wonders.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:00:50 PM by Disco Stu »
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.