Author Topic: Happy Birthday Oblivion!  (Read 6914 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday Oblivion!
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:13:31 AM »
I seen down on the forum index that its your birthday, so have a good one.  :cool;

BTW, you picked a good year to turn 18 because this is an election year so that means you will be able to vote right away.

ETA: Sorry, I should have posted this in the birthday thread thing. If some mod sees this, please move it for me.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday Oblivion!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
POLITICAL THREAD!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:40:09 PM »
Ha ha, thanks Chozo. I need to register by the 9th or I don't get to vote. I plan on doing that as soon as I get off vacation.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:53:23 PM »
Best not to vote. It doesn't actually change anything... all it gets you is the hassle of dodging jury duty.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »
Best not to vote. It doesn't actually change anything... all it gets you is the hassle of dodging jury duty.

I've voted every time since 2000 and I've never once been requested to do jury duty.

And as far as not changing anything goes, maybe you are right... but do you think not voting is going to change anything? At least if you've voted you can at least say you tried whether it did anything or not.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:19:43 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Voting or not voting has ZERO impact on getting selected for jury duty. It's random. And if you don't vote, you should not complain about who represents you in government.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
Actually registering to vote makes you available for jury duty, if you aren't already.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
What's the big deal about jury duty anyway? Its not like you're being drafted to fight in Vietnam. Why do people fear it so much? I think the fear of jury duty is grossly disproportionate to what it actually is.
is your sanity...

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:41:32 PM »
For me, it's because my job won't cover the pay that's lost because I have to go sit in on something that I'm sure homeless people or unemployed folks would be better suited for - ya know.. since they have the time and all to do something such as that. Plus, they'd get a crappy monetary check in the mail for doing so!

But seriously, I've been called in for jury duty once in my entire life, and it was a complete waste of time and a cut out of my pay I won't be able to get back. Nine days worth of pay that I lost ... and that can hurt a person when you've got lots of bills and student loans to pay. :/
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
Is talking about the pains of jury duty considered politics? Could be the first time a derailing saves a thread.

Side note: jury duty sucks, but try being called in as an expert witness on a complex accounting issue and have to explain to a crowd who maybe got through high school. If I had a nickel for every time my professor complained about doing that, I'd have enough for a Coke.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:44:03 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
homeless people

Plus, they'd get a crappy monetary check in the mail for doing so!

I would like to see the homeless people be able to do something useful and get some money that they need, but how could they get a check in the mail if they don't have an address? And how would they even be called for jury duty anyway?

Furthermore, some (not all) homeless people might be mentally ill and/or drug addicts so do we really want them on a jury deciding someone's fate?
is your sanity...

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 12:09:01 AM »
I've been voting since 1991 and haven't had a jury duty notice.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
Actually registering to vote makes you available for jury duty, if you aren't already.

So does having a license, as they also use the DMV to get names. So just having a drivers license will make it possible to get selected for jury duty.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
Public transpo has never been a more beautiful thing.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »

So does having a license, as they also use the DMV to get names. So just having a drivers license will make it possible to get selected for jury duty.
Not in every state, but registering to vote makes you eligible if you've managed to stay offthe radar.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »
Another thing Oblivion will have to do is register for the draft. Unlike voting this is required by law so its something you have to do (if you're a male). They can probably call you up for Jury Duty through that as well.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 02:05:50 AM »
Ugh, don't remind me. I don't want to sign up for it but since I'd get arrested or something if I don't... *shrug*

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »
Since the draft will never come back, there is no worry about signing up at least.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »
Since the draft will never come back, there is no worry about signing up at least.
You say that now, but when Skynet becomes self-aware and views humanity a threat, boy, will your face be red...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »
And if it is reinstated, you can always... y'know... just not report for duty.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »
And be a draft dodger?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »

If the U.S. were to go to war with China the military would need more manpower than what voluntary recruiting could provide, so a draft would be needed.

The good thing about the draft thing is it expires when you turn 25, so as long as WW3 doesn't start within the next 7 years Oblivion should be fine.

On the other hand, if World War 3 really did break out, it would probably adversely effect EVERYONE regardless of their draft eligibility.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »
I didn't know it expired at a certain age. I thought you were pretty much in it for life. And would they even take someone so short that most women are taller than him? I seriously doubt I could ever fight in a war with the physical prowess I have at this point in my life.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »

If the U.S. were to go to war with China the military would need more manpower than what voluntary recruiting could provide, so a draft would be needed.

The good thing about the draft thing is it expires when you turn 25, so as long as WW3 doesn't start within the next 7 years Oblivion should be fine.

On the other hand, if World War 3 really did break out, it would probably adversely effect EVERYONE regardless of their draft eligibility.

It'd probably delay the Wii U launch.

I didn't know it expired at a certain age. I thought you were pretty much in it for life. And would they even take someone so short that most women are taller than him? I seriously doubt I could ever fight in a war with the physical prowess I have at this point in my life.

You know who else was too small to be drafted? Captain America.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
I doubt I'll ever get experimented on by a German scientist. xD