Author Topic: 3DS Repair Question (Top Screen Scratch) - Data Concern  (Read 11401 times)

Offline EJtheK

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
3DS Repair Question (Top Screen Scratch) - Data Concern
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »
Hey gang,

I have a concern that I'm wondering if any fellow Nintendo fans and NWR readers can speak to.

The top screen of my 3DS is scratched by the bottom screen (I know from the good 'ol Internet that I am not alone in this). I just talked to Nintendo and they said they'll repair it under warranty. Great news.  However, I have a concern...

I know they will transfer data if they need to, but I'm concerned about my Street Pass data. I am not just concerned about my Find Mii progress and my puzzle pieces (although these are important to me since I have completed just about everything), but I am concerned about my plaza population

I have Street Passed with A LOT of people from a lot of locations. I got a ton at PAX East, and many more elsewhere. My question is: will I still have all these people in my plaza after repair even if they have to transfer my data to a new 3DS?  Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!

EJtheK

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Repair Question (Top Screen Scratch) - Data Concern
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
Don't have a definitive answer, but I would imagine that you have nothing to worry about. Send Nintendo an email expressing your concerns, you should have an answer within a couple of hours.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
No.

You won't.  I had to send my 3DS in for repair and they gave me a new system and I lost all my system specific data (activity log, Streetpasses, etc.)  I didn't lose my games and saves because they were on the SD card.  Things might have changed since then but I asked first.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
I sent my 3DS in for repairs because the top screen stopped working. When it was returned, I had a new serial number but all data (including street pass stuff) was intact.  So maybe it's a YMMV situation?
NNID: ejamer

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:54:59 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful responses guys!  A few questions/responses...

No.

You won't.  I had to send my 3DS in for repair and they gave me a new system and I lost all my system specific data (activity log, Streetpasses, etc.)  I didn't lose my games and saves because they were on the SD card.  Things might have changed since then but I asked first.

Ceric, thanks for the information.  Out of curiosity, when did you do this?

I sent my 3DS in for repairs because the top screen stopped working. When it was returned, I had a new serial number but all data (including street pass stuff) was intact.  So maybe it's a YMMV situation?

ejamer, this is very much what I am hoping for.  When did you send yours in?  Maybe if it was later than Ceric, they have changed methods.  If not, then you're probably right about YMMV!

Don't have a definitive answer, but I would imagine that you have nothing to worry about. Send Nintendo an email expressing your concerns, you should have an answer within a couple of hours.

Thanks.  Good thinking: Nintendo support is very helpful.  I sent them an e-mail.  When I get a response, I'll post it here.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
Sent mine in... October last year?  Something like that.  It didn't have much data worth mentioning to be saved, but I didn't see any changes and still had the same friend code afterwards.

One odd thing was that I ended up with a ton of free play coins added to my 3DS after the fix. Not sure why or how they got there, but it was enough to power through a run of Find Mii which was pretty cool.

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »
Sent mine in... October last year?  Something like that.  It didn't have much data worth mentioning to be saved, but I didn't see any changes and still had the same friend code afterwards.

One odd thing was that I ended up with a ton of free play coins added to my 3DS after the fix. Not sure why or how they got there, but it was enough to power through a run of Find Mii which was pretty cool.

Thanks!  Free coins is always a good thing.  Do you remember which center you sent yours too?  Does United Radio in East Syracuse, NY ring a bell?  That's where mine is headed.

I called Nintendo and e-mailed them.  In both responses, they said they weren't sure if the Mii Plaza data would be retained.  I'm glad yours was, ejamer!  ...for your sake AND it makes me feel better.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
I recently sent my 3DS in for repairs and prior to sending it out I spoke to a representative who asked me if I wanted to have my info saved. Like EJtheK I have a ton of street passes and I don't want to lose any puzzles or Find Mii info. I told them I would appreciate my info being retained and he made note of it. I believe he said that if my info was compromised I would be notified about it. I'm just waiting now.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
For everyone's benefit (again thanks for the help!), I got my 3DS back and here is a conclusion (maybe?)...

@TheFleece, you may find this interesting.  Good luck to you!  Let me know how you make out!

I got my 3DS back. The repair facility I sent it to did a fine job getting rid of the line scratch problem. The top screen cover has been replaced and is scratch free. Also, they did preserve my data! However, there's a catch: new problems have now been added.

Problem 1) Scratches on touch screen. There are now more scratches on the touch screen than when I sent the 3DS in. One in particular is rather large and visible during play when the room is well lit (sunlight, etc.). Bummer. I had been careful of my touch screen.

Problem 2) Wobbly hinge. I've heard of people having this problem. I was lucky enough to not have the issue ... until now, that is. My hinge now wobbles.

Problem 3) Chip in plastic. This is very minor, but the top screen has a chip in it (not in viewing area, thankfully).

I called NOA about this. They were very nice about it and checked the repair notes. They said it was the same 3DS, but had the top screen cover replaced. I could believe this (even with the chip ... this could have been damaged when removing the original screen cover). Also the one and only scratch I had on my touch screen may still be there (hard to sort it out now that there are so many scratches). However, the serial number label on the back is all marked up as though it has been removed (despite having the same S/N).

Anyway, I'm glad the lines on the top screen are gone (mine had gotten really bad). I'm thankful that my data has been preserved. However, I am a little bummed about the other problems.

NOA offered to repair it again (nice company!). This time they said they'd do it at their headquarters in Washington (as opposed to the third party I had sent mine to). I'm conflicted about proceeding with the repair. I'm so glad my data has been saved and my 3D screen is nice now; but I am bummed about the other problems. I don't want to risk my data again, and I don't want to be ungrateful to Nintendo for resolving this.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I will be considering how to proceed, but I thought my tale could benefit people in the future struggling with the same dilemma I had.

Thanks!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »
... I'm conflicted about proceeding with the repair. I'm so glad my data has been saved and my 3D screen is nice now; but I am bummed about the other problems. I don't want to risk my data again, and I don't want to be ungrateful to Nintendo for resolving this. ...

Losing data is still a risk, but don't think that requesting your fix gets "done right" is ungrateful.  The problems you listed don't sound reasonable to me, and I'd be quick to request a do over if the multiple spots of damage you mention leave you feeling at all bummed.

Just one opinion.  Obviously you'll have to make up your own mind.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »
I also had my 3DS sent in for repair. They exchange my broken system for a new one and all the street pass data and data of what I had played was gone.

Does not bother me that much, rather have a functioning system. But I lost allot of street passes....
3DS Friend code 0473-8793-3927
Mii: Lars

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
Losing data is still a risk, but don't think that requesting your fix gets "done right" is ungrateful.  The problems you listed don't sound reasonable to me, and I'd be quick to request a do over if the multiple spots of damage you mention leave you feeling at all bummed.

Thanks, ejamer.  I appreciate the encouragement.  Nintendo was really nice about it, and that wobble is driving me nuts, so I am going to go ahead and send it to their HQ repair center in Washington.  I hope I keep the data through another repair process!  I'll let you know how it goes.

I also had my 3DS sent in for repair. They exchange my broken system for a new one and all the street pass data and data of what I had played was gone.

Does not bother me that much, rather have a functioning system. But I lost allot of street passes....

I'm sorry to hear you lost data!  That's a bummer.  Even when they swap to a new system, this shouldn't happen because the system transfer feature covers most things of importance.

Do you mind if I ask you: how recent was this? and which repair center handled it?

You're definitely right though: it's better to have a functioning system!

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
I got my 3DS back yesterday and everything was saved. All that's new is a Street Pass from Mississippi.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »

Thanks, ejamer.  I appreciate the encouragement.  Nintendo was really nice about it, and that wobble is driving me nuts, so I am going to go ahead and send it to their HQ repair center in Washington.  I hope I keep the data through another repair process!  I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm sorry to hear you lost data!  That's a bummer.  Even when they swap to a new system, this shouldn't happen because the system transfer feature covers most things of importance.

Do you mind if I ask you: how recent was this? and which repair center handled it?

You're definitely right though: it's better to have a functioning system!

It was a couple of months ago. Sent it to Nintendo support here in Norway.
3DS Friend code 0473-8793-3927
Mii: Lars

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »
I got my 3DS back yesterday and everything was saved. All that's new is a Street Pass from Mississippi.

Great news!  I'm glad it worked out.  :D

My 3DS is on it's way back to me from Nintendo HQ.  They told me they kept the same unit but replaced the housing, the screen cover, and the touch screen.  I'll post the conclusion to my saga here for the benefit of any future NWR readers that encounter anything like this.  Here's to hoping the data is intact...

Thanks again for all the responses!

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »
FIN!

I have a conclusion, and will provide it for the benefit of any others going through anything like this...

My 3DS has returned from Nintendo HQ.  Here's what they did this time:

- They replaced the touch screen (brand new screen) to fix the scratches added from repair at the East Syracuse, NY repair center.

- They replaced the top screen cover again (perhaps it got damaged again during this repair).

- They replaced part of the housing to fix screen wobble.

The result:

I have a little screen wobble.  It's nowhere near as bad as after I got it back from the first repair, but it isn't as perfect as it once was (I suppose I was just lucky before).

Both screens are completely scratch free.

The bumpers on the top screen have been raised by 0.2mm (perhaps enough to prevent future scratching).

Best of all: my data is ALL 100% INTACT!  The unit remained the same, so no data was lost.  ;D

Best of luck to any others out there who deal with this.

TLDR: 3DS is in good shape after repair at Nintendo HQ.  I'd advise anyone getting repairs done to request they be done at HQ.  I did not have a good experience with the licensed repair center in NY.  Also, Nintendo Customer Service is absolutely incredible!  :cool;

Thanks to all who commented!

- EJtheK -