Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 417546 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1000 on: August 03, 2013, 11:20:07 PM »
I don't think they need to go Nuclear, even if that would garner the much needed attention and get probably quite a few people to bite the bullet and buy in on the Wii U. I think they should just advertise the Virtual Console games at a much more reasonable pricing and do whatever it takes to get some games released NOW, in the near future and steadily throughout the rest of the consoles life span.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1001 on: August 04, 2013, 12:26:28 AM »
Given the source is John C friggin Dvorak, a man who made a longtime living trolling fans of niche companies (*coughapplecough*), I should mention that is a "Here's what they should do" as opposed to a "Here's what will happen" piece.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 04, 2013, 12:43:28 AM »
I never said Nintendo is thinking about doing it, hence the "apparently this is a rumor" part, and the part where the author refers to it as a rumor.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 04, 2013, 12:47:40 AM »
I don't think they need to go Nuclear, even if that would garner the much needed attention and get probably quite a few people to bite the bullet and buy in on the Wii U. I think they should just advertise the Virtual Console games at a much more reasonable pricing and do whatever it takes to get some games released NOW, in the near future and steadily throughout the rest of the consoles life span.

For this to work Nintendo needs to place blank checks into certain strategic developer's pockets.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 04, 2013, 01:21:54 AM »

For this to work Nintendo needs to place blank checks into certain strategic developer's pockets.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
I'm not suggesting we tell Nintendo how to do it, but we will more than gladly hand them a selection of knives to do it with. just make it happen.

They can co-develop.
they can drop the licensing fees.
they can buy 3rd parties
they can create new 1st/2nd parties
they can money-hat
they can loan out IP's
they can do the port themselves
they can sell their first unborn child

It doesn't really matter, just get us some games to play, and then the systems will start to sell.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: August 04, 2013, 01:47:56 AM »

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
I'm not suggesting we tell Nintendo how to do it, but we will more than gladly hand them a selection of knives to do it with. just make it happen.

They can co-develop.
they can drop the licensing fees.
they can buy 3rd parties
they can create new 1st/2nd parties
they can money-hat
they can loan out IP's
they can do the port themselves
they can sell their first unborn child

It doesn't really matter, just get us some games to play, and then the systems will start to sell.

Nintendo should loan all of its b-list game IPs to its western partners. Secondly, Nintendo needs to port over games like Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 themselves. They need to money hat certain strategic developers, but not the entire industry. Third, offer support to struggling developers to make their games Nintendo exclusive. Overall Nintendo can win this generation, but they need to spend a little from their war chest to obtain victory.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 04, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »
[size=78%] Nintendo needs to port over games like Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 themselves. [/size]

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 04, 2013, 01:56:37 AM »
I thought they should have announced the catalogue feature at E3. Could have made a major splash. Regardless, they'll never do it, and I'd be surprised if they even entertained the idea seriously. I suspect the 2TB capability is just to cover for the puny internal storage/sell expensive branded harddrives.

If, however, they get desperate enough to pull the trigger, I wonder what they could do to mollify early adopters who dropped cash on VC games. Can't really pull an ambassador in this scenario. I also wonder how this would affect the eShop. I don't imagine developers are going to be psyched about competing with hundreds of free, high-quality games. Even less so for non-Nintendo published VC games. Pay $8 for Kid Kameleon or play Mario Sunshine for free?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 04, 2013, 02:00:18 AM »
[size=78%] Nintendo needs to port over games like Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 themselves. [/size]

The way it would work is that Nintendo would approach Square and offer them a certain amount of money to have those games on the Wii U. Since Square would most likely not want to spend their own resources porting the games to the Wii U then Nintendo would take their developers that normally make casual party games and have them copy and paste the code ad work out whatever kinks that might arise before release. Square would still get a monetary cut from the sales of the game. 

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 04, 2013, 02:11:27 AM »
Nomura has already said that FFXV isn't possible on the 360 or the PS3. That, by extension, rules out the Wii U.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 04, 2013, 03:38:50 AM »
Nomura has already said that FFXV isn't possible on the 360 or the PS3. That, by extension, rules out the Wii U.

But... But.. But the Wii U is...

aww **** it, who are we kidding....
it's not gonna make a difference.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 04, 2013, 03:55:51 AM »
They can keep their games then.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 05, 2013, 12:46:29 AM »
It seems that major third parties have found a way how to target six available HD gaming platforms (xbox/xbone/ps3/ps4/pc/wiiu) and not die in the process.

They're gonna remove features from Wii U version.

Well, then, **** you too guys.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 05, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
As far as Kingdom Hearts go, Nintendo should go to Square and pretty much put their own developers on it and make a set of enhanced versions of all the games that can only be played on the Wii U.  Sell the Retail set as Collections and the Digital Piecemeal or Collection.

That way a Kingdom Heart fan, which their are many, can enjoy the whole series from start to finish on 1 system.  Then get KH3 somehow.  That would sell some Wii U's.  I still say the best strategy Nintendo could have is to make Wii U THE Niche machine.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 05, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »
Ceric, that won't happen. The Osaka team is in charge of KH3, under the supervision and guidance of the original KH Tokyo team. I doubt Nomura is just going to let Nintendo developers in when they never did that for the other four Nintendo KH games.

Considering they said that FFXV's engine couldn't work to well with the PS3 and 360, I doubt KH3 would work well with the Wii U either. EDIT: Because KH3 is running on the same engine as FFXV.

Sorry guys. :\
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:33:12 PM by Oblivion »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1015 on: August 05, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »
But what if they just believed.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 05, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »
But what if they just believed.

If they did that, they'd bitch (like they do at every other developer) at Square Enix for not supporting the Wii U when it isn't even their fault this time.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 05, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
Its amazing how companies change their mind when Labor costs are suddenly a lot less.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 05, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »
I already told you: it simply can't happen. Even if Nintendo threw every fucking developer they have towards Square Enix to make a port of either game, it couldn't happen without some HUGE cutbacks, too huge for them to release it with confidence. That's the whole reason FFXV became a PS4/Xone title and not a current gen system. It will not happen.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:52:08 PM by Oblivion »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 05, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
How about instead of trying to pay Third party developers to help build games Nintendo does something radical and unexpected. You know in addition to funding games from second party developers they actually use some of that Warchest to expand they're current studios as well as building new studios in other regions as well. Deciding to skip out on stuff like THQ sale seemed very stupid in my book.

Sony upped thier studio count last gen and puts out enough titles between its three systems to not need third party. (plus the third party exclusives from Japanese devs)

Microsoft also has been recently doing the same starting in 2011 and its looking to payoff.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 11, 2013, 03:48:28 AM »
Romance of the Three Kingdoms twelve is coming to Wii U.

Probably no US or European release though. At least there is number four on the Wii U virtual console!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 11, 2013, 03:50:50 AM »
Hot Wheels: World's Best Driver is coming to the Wii U in September. Cancel your Wonderful 101 preorder, this is new must have title of the month!

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/games/hot-wheels-worlds-best-driver/111285

Offline fiendcode

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 26, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »
Secondly, Nintendo needs to port over games like Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 themselves.
If they going to do something along those lines, I think it'd be better to moneyhat exclusives that SE doesn't want to spend resources on themselves.  Nintendo works with multiple studios composed of key former Square and Enix staff (Mistwalker, Alphadream, Grezzo, Genius Sonority, Spike Chunsoft) and even owns a couple more (Monolith Soft, 1-up Studio), imagine if they put all that manpower to work on stuff like Romancing SaGa 4 or Chrono Trigger II or a new FF Tactics or a new Mana game or ...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 27, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
We already went through this. Even if Iwata himself sucked Nomura's dick for the rest of his life, it simply CAN'T happen.