Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 417689 times)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #950 on: July 22, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »
There isn't a single reason?  What if you want sequels to Atlus' PS3 titles and you actually want them to be next-generation titles?

*looks at list of Atlus games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlus_games#PlayStation_3) for PS3/X360 and takes note of those published and developed by Atlus and developers that practically are Atlus (e.g. Vanillaware)*

Yeah... given that most Japanese video game companies are lagging behind in producing HD visuals (and Atlus as a developer is in that group), I have doubts that we'll be missing much in the hypothetical situation of Nintendo buying Atlus. The handful of Japanese third-party companies that are keeping up in the graphics race are Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, and probably a few others that I haven't considered. Even then, some of those companies are having trouble keeping up and are floating their boats with smaller, social games.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 22, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »
Given that the independence of Atlus is what allows them to put out such a large amount of games with such a large variety, I wouldn't be thrilled with any major company purchasing them.  If I had to pick a large company to do so, I'd side with Sony just because they aren't huge micro-managers, whereas Nintendo is.  I'd still prefer a smaller company like Gung-Ho or XSEED acquire them, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 22, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »
Some of Atlus games have more "adult themes" which wouldn't have been greenlit though NoJ (AKA people shooting themselves in the head).

You mean the same Nintendo which saved, is funding and going to publish Bayonetta 2?  Not sure why some of you still seem to live in the early 90's when it comes to content Nintendo allows.  Just because most of their own games are for everyone, doesn't mean they don't allow more adult games from being made.  Especially when they have a history of publishing games aimed at older audiences.

Like I already said, if Nintendo was to buy Atlus, they wouldn't effect the games they make because the only reason they would ever buy Atlus is to help diversify their own games lineup.  This is the same reason they bought Monolith Soft, in which Iwata even said the reason they bought them was so they can make the kind of games Nintendo doesn't make.  Which is why Monolith Soft has had the freedom to do their own thing despite the fact Nintendo has owned them for over 6 years now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 22, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »
"is funding and going to publish Bayonetta 2?"

And did you even play the original to notice the difference?  In the first game, every time she uses a combo she loses some of her suit and yet from the trailer for the sequel that's no longer the case, she remains fully clothed even after main specials were pulled.  That's the Nintendo difference and it's pretty clear to see.

Kinda reminds me of Fire Emblem 3ds and it's "ass-cover up".  NoA goes out of it's way to "protect" it's image. 

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18mh2vvu82yrtjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 23, 2013, 01:38:12 AM »
^ so full of condescending and so full of WRONG.

she remains fully clothed even after main specials were pulled
http://e3.nintendo.com/_ui/images/games/detail/bayonetta-2/ss7.jpg

In the first game, every time she uses a combo she loses some of her suit
Have you played the game? She does NOT lose her hair suit because of the combo.
Hair go away for other reason (won't name it, so that you can check for yourself if you really DO know the game as much you claim to be) and not only you can do combos without this element, you can do it without combos as well.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 23, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
It's been awhile since I played but I recall a nearly naked Bayonetta running all over the place.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:11:58 AM by Ymeegod »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 23, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »
Don't try to wiggle yourself out with new conditions. You claimed that hair DOESN'T come off. Obviously it is wrong. It happens many times during the trailer and on official screenshot.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline fiendcode

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
Given that the independence of Atlus is what allows them to put out such a large amount of games with such a large variety, I wouldn't be thrilled with any major company purchasing them.  If I had to pick a large company to do so, I'd side with Sony just because they aren't huge micro-managers, whereas Nintendo is.  I'd still prefer a smaller company like Gung-Ho or XSEED acquire them, though.
Sony has a nasty habit of shuttering studios in recent years (Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool, BigBig, Zipper, Ingocnito, etc) plus they invest next to nothing into the Japanese industry these days.  SCE has actually never bought a Japanese studio, they simply don't appear to value their home development community and seemingly prefer chasing Microsoft westward.

Nintendo's "iron fist" developer policies are also largely overblown, and is traditionally a western phenomenon anyway.  Within Japan Nintendo funds a multitude of studios on a wide variety of projects, many with little oversight.  If you look at the last Japanese studio they acquired (Monolith Soft) they're flourising these days with a lot of backing and a lot of discretion on the projects they want to do.  Nintendo would easily be preferable to Sony for acquiring Atlus imo, and their track record really supports it.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »
Sony has a nasty habit of shuttering studios in recent years (Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool, BigBig, Zipper, Ingocnito, etc) plus they invest next to nothing into the Japanese industry these days.  SCE has actually never bought a Japanese studio, they simply don't appear to value their home development community and seemingly prefer chasing Microsoft westward.

Nintendo's "iron fist" developer policies are also largely overblown, and is traditionally a western phenomenon anyway.  Within Japan Nintendo funds a multitude of studios on a wide variety of projects, many with little oversight.  If you look at the last Japanese studio they acquired (Monolith Soft) they're flourising these days with a lot of backing and a lot of discretion on the projects they want to do.  Nintendo would easily be preferable to Sony for acquiring Atlus imo, and their track record really supports it.

Sony doesn't have to buy Japanese development when most of that community (especially the JRPG guys who they have wrapped n their hand) supports them anyway. 

Sony buying Atlus would just solidify what platforms other niche japanese developers would develop for. (not that they plan to leave the PS3 any time soon mind you)

Also to say Sony doesn't invest in Japnese studios is disingenuous Looking at thier output as of late.

-Gravity Rush
-Tokyo Jungle
-Soul Sacrifice
-Rain
-Puppeteer
-Destiney of Spirits
-Knack
-Freedsom Wars
-The Last Guardian
-Gran Turismo 6
-H

Most of those games are made in conjunction with non sony Japanese Studios.

Nintendo's Iron Fist isn't vastly overblown. If that were thr case than where is a New IP from the Zelda team or one of the Mario Teams. Why didn't retro have free range to do whatever they wanted for their next project. Why is Sakurai wasting his talents on yet another smash bros game that he didn't even know he was making.

(Its even more funny when one branch of Sony's

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 24, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »
Niche Japanese developers left the PS3 a long time ago. Those games are on the 3DS now, and to a much lesser extent the Vita.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
Niche Japanese developers left the PS3 a long time ago. Those games are on the 3DS now, and to a much lesser extent the Vita.

I'm still seeing a ton of console RPGs on PS3. Those weird ass neptuna games, some legends of the sky stuff, and it sounds like the tales series is PS4 for th forseeable future.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #961 on: July 24, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »
-Gravity Rush
-Tokyo Jungle
-Soul Sacrifice
-Rain
-Puppeteer
-Destiney of Spirits
-Knack
-Freedsom Wars
-The Last Guardian
-Gran Turismo 6
-H

Almost all of those are developed by just Sony studios, and all have Sony either developing by themselves or with others. Doesn't really support your case.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 25, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »
Activision confirmed COD Ghost Dog and five kid/family games for Wii U: Skylanders, Angry Birds x2, SpongeBob, and Wipeout (with course creation maybe?)

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 25, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »
Activision confirmed COD Ghost Dog and five kid/family games for Wii U: Skylanders, Angry Birds x2, SpongeBob, and Wipeout (with course creation maybe?)

I wonder what the over/under is on Wii U's CoD: Hound of the Baskervilles' online user base actually breaking the 1,000 player barrier this time.  Last year, CoD: Black Ops 2's was around 700 according to anecdotal reports.

I really don't understand why Activision couldn't make up their mind if that port existed or not.  It's not like they were still deciding, as by E3 development had to have been started by then.  Maybe they were on the fence about canceling it.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 25, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0?ref=recently_launched

The Kickstarter for Shadow of the Eternals has been reluanched with a smaller goal and ditching the episodic nature.

I want to pledge since there's a PS4 stretch goal but they gave no indication on how much money to get o the stretch goal.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 25, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0?ref=recently_launched

The Kickstarter for Shadow of the Eternals has been reluanched with a smaller goal and ditching the episodic nature.

I want to pledge since there's a PS4 stretch goal but they gave no indication on how much money to get o the stretch goal.

If Precursor Games couldn't make ONE episode for less than $1.5 million, what makes ANYONE think that they can make the entire next-generation game with $750,000?  Oh, but of course they have "private backing" from an unnamed external company this time. Of course they do.  This project has "scam" written all over it even more than it did before.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:45:56 PM by broodwars »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 25, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »

I wonder what the over/under is on Wii U's CoD: Hound of the Baskervilles' online user base actually breaking the 1,000 player barrier this time.  Last year, CoD: Black Ops 2's was around 700 according to anecdotal reports.

Actually the game had broken the 1k player barrier by December. Before I traded in my copy the online multiplayer would hover between 3-4k during peak hours and about 1,500 during the rest of the day.

Regardless, the numbers for COD:Release the Hounds should be better seeing as how the game will be released on the same day as others.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 25, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
Last year, CoD: Black Ops 2's was around 700 according to anecdotal reports.

LOL, being someone who actually played Blops 2 on the WIi U, I've seen the online count go all the way up to 5,000. Nice troll though, broodwars.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »
Last year, CoD: Black Ops 2's was around 700 according to anecdotal reports.

LOL, being someone who actually played Blops 2 on the WIi U, I've seen the online count go all the way up to 5,000. Nice troll though, broodwars.

Like I said, those were anecdotal reports that people were giving on podcasts last year (I believe the one I heard was on Player One) when they were discussing the game. If it's gone up since then, fine.

THAT SAID, considering the player base on the other consoles was around 400,000 - 700,000 each in the same anecdotal reports, that still doesn't speak well for the Wii U and its chances with Call of Dooby-U: Where Are You?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:01:01 PM by broodwars »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 25, 2013, 07:06:35 PM »
COD Blops 2 is estimated to have sold around 200k on the Wii U, which should be enough to make a small profit after porting the game, enough to justify releasing the next version. There are 178k players on the leader board.

COD Ghost Nintendogs should do better thanks to a larger Wii U install base.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 25, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »
COD Blops 2 is estimated to have sold around 200k on the Wii U, which should be enough to make a small profit after porting the game, enough to justify releasing the next version. There are 178k players on the leader board.

COD Ghost Nintendogs should do better thanks to a larger Wii U install base.

Well, we'll see.  I still find it baffling that Activision waited this long to announce The Thirteen Ghosts of Call of Duty for Wii U.  In interviews at E3 the game's developers seemed confused as to whether or not they were doing it.

*On a sidenote, this naming game is fun.  ;D *

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 25, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »

Yes it is, these have me cracking up and are by far the only thing that interest me in COD. Keep it up! Call of Old Yellers Ghost isn't very clever, but I felt like throwing one out there so deal with it
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 25, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »

If Precursor Games couldn't make ONE episode for less than $1.5 million, what makes ANYONE think that they can make the entire next-generation game with $750,000?  Oh, but of course they have "private backing" from an unnamed external company this time. Of course they do.  This project has "scam" written all over it even more than it did before.

Its funny one of the reward teir is paying $5000 to work for these for free at E3.

DA Faq

hope them all the sucess but I probably won't back since I don't even know if there will be a PS4 version.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 25, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »
It definitely made me laugh. :D

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 25, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »

Always the optimist Broodwars.