Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 417766 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #725 on: February 07, 2013, 11:55:25 PM »
Other games caught my interest and then I gave up with gamestop all together after one last shitty experience.

Now I have Amazon and can purchase it on a whim; which if I weren't so tired right now, I probably would. *adds to wishlist*
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 08, 2013, 12:36:25 AM »
Other games caught my interest and then I gave up with gamestop all together after one last shitty experience.

Now I have Amazon and can purchase it on a whim; which if I weren't so tired right now, I probably would. *adds to wishlist*

Am telling you man, take the jump and live the classics, nothing better than that. I have been lately on a trip down the memory road with Gamecube games and am having a blast, waiting for them Wii U games!!
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 08, 2013, 12:37:40 AM »
Could the "snubbing" of Wii U maybe also attributed to the rumors that the other two consoles will have DRM preventing used game sales? Console makers have been kinda quiet in the past on the subject but third party developers have always been vocal in their disdain for the used market, and with Microsoft and Sony basically gutting it (if true) wouldn't third parties be more supportive of them?

This is an interesting line of thought. Based on the reaction I'm seeing on the forum, and my personal response to the last few days, something really does feel different this time around. It's kinda like that famous montage in the The Godfather. Collusion doesn't make sense, but with attitudes the way they are there could be something going on with the major studios pivoting toward DRM. There really wouldn't be any way to accommodate the WiiU with that business strategy, and the WiiU couldn't really adapt to adopt the system (I don't think). This could be an exponential repeat of carts vs. discs, except this time, everyone loses!

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 08, 2013, 12:41:42 AM »
It can't be collusion. They wouldn't be dumb enough to do it that way. Any sign of it and GameStop would throw every lawyer they've got at them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 08, 2013, 12:51:50 AM »
That would mean that they're knowingly destroying gaming specific retailers (their own channel), leaving only general malls for them to sell their games.

Also reading numerous statements from how excited they're about next gen, and how they expect sales to increase:
Quote from: Ubisoft
most decline attributed to consumers waiting for next-gen to come. This cycle has lasted too long and lacked major hardware innnovation. We are getting closer and closer to this new generation, boosting the market significantly, boosting Ubisoft's performance.
If they indeed want to crush used games market, many retailers will implode and market will shrink and not grow.

What do they know that we don't?
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 08, 2013, 01:14:04 AM »
That would mean that they're knowingly destroying gaming specific retailers (their own channel), leaving only general malls for them to sell their games.

Also reading numerous statements from how excited they're about next gen, and how they expect sales to increase:
Quote from: Ubisoft
most decline attributed to consumers waiting for next-gen to come. This cycle has lasted too long and lacked major hardware innnovation. We are getting closer and closer to this new generation, boosting the market significantly, boosting Ubisoft's performance.
If they indeed want to crush used games market, many retailers will implode and market will shrink and not grow.

What do they know that we don't?

If you look closely at the news you can easily figure out that the only companies boasting about the next generation and how exited they are are multimillion and sometimes billion dollar companies such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft and recently Rockstar who said that the transition from this Gen to the next shouldn't be too drastic as last time was, of course when you have a big ass piggy bank everything is gravy. I feel that this time around the next gen concept is getting rammed into peoples head to keep up with the latest tech, but hell as much power these next gen machine might have, they cannot hide from the fact that current HD tvs only handle 1080p, if you want higher resolution, well we all know the ridiculous prices of 4k tvs.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 08, 2013, 01:20:05 AM »
I agree, nothing constituting actual collusion is happening. But I really think there's something on the wind, here.

Killing Gamestop might be net bad for the industry, but media retail is already on the way out. See:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GameStop-Closing-Up-500-Stores-2013-52203.html

Rental chains are dead. Best Buy is probably in terminal decline.

Remove current used games with DRM, and the current used game market goes away. People can buy consoles from any retailer or online, and used games from previous gens online. The people who are most interested in buying older niche stuff will certainly have the internet know-how to do it without Gamestop, and the people who dig through Gamestop for $3 NHL '03 copies and the like will still be able to find them to some extent elsewhere (and those people, i.e. the poor, aren't the concern anyway for these companies).

If Microsoft and Sony simultaneously decide to employ DRM, which the majors would already know about, it couldn't be called collusion if the companies start reorienting (gladly) around the upcoming business environment. Something like how Pepsi and Coke never undercut each other on price.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 08, 2013, 01:32:44 AM »
It's not collusion, but I could see someone like EA playing both sides against each other, nudging both of them in that direction.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 08, 2013, 01:51:33 AM »
It's not collusion, but I could see someone like EA playing both sides against each other, nudging both of them in that direction.

Ha, yeah, that's more along the lines of what I'm thinking, from a different angle. Tail wagging the dog. I'm now imagining this as a David Fincher business thriller.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 08, 2013, 04:04:42 AM »
And of course, if that were the case, EA's recent spiteful attitude toward Nintendo takes on a whole new facet.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:31 AM »
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate online play is region locked

Does this affect anyone here interested in the game? The only game I kind of play online is Resident Evil Revelaitons and that's mainly for farming purposes (which is impossible) and I really can't tell the difference besides possibly usernames.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 08, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate online play is region locked

Does this affect anyone here interested in the game? The only game I kind of play online is Resident Evil Revelaitons and that's mainly for farming purposes (which is impossible) and I really can't tell the difference besides possibly usernames.
Yes.

You have to coordinate at some level in Monster Hunter to be successful.  Much like in WoW which for technical reasons have servers geograhically locked, read latency.  MonHun could be the same way being a QoS thing plus its back to a hunt of any good size would be hard if everyone can't communicate.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #737 on: February 08, 2013, 10:06:47 AM »
If you have a chance to play PN05, you should. It's a nice twitch shooter, though it took a while for me to think of it that way. That ass, just hypnotic...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 08, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
If you have a chance to play PN05, you should. It's a nice twitch shooter, though it took a while for me to think of it that way. That ass, just hypnotic...
I picked that up a while ago and played some.  I remember I enjoyed it but, was annoyed by something.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 08, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=512337&page=100000

New square enix game not announced for Wii U.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 08, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=512337&page=100000

New square enix game not announced for Wii U.

Meh.

I can't even fake outrage anymore.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 08, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »

Am telling you man, take the jump and live the classics, nothing better than that. I have been lately on a trip down the memory road with Gamecube games and am having a blast, waiting for them Wii U games!!

You don't understand though, I already tried this during the Wii lifespan when I was actually caught up with (most) of my Wii library. I went out and found a ton of old, cheap GCN games that I started to play but then dropped off my radar. Off the top of my head I can tell you I still own but haven't really put much time into:

DK Jungle Beat (if thats the right name)
Resident Evil (REmake)
Resident Evil 0 (if I decide to call up my ex to get it back)
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
Killer 7
XII (this is the one I made most progress in, I can't beat that fucking last boss though!)
Geist (just remembered this one, tied with XII - Can't beat the fucking boss)

For Wii...
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Trauma Center: New Blood (again, if I get it back from my ex)
Excitetruck (never unlocked that last cup)
Excitebots (see above)
SKATE it
Manhunt 2 (game froze on me towards the end and I got side tracked by RFF or something)
Battalion Wars
Mario Strikers (Never unlocked all cups)

as well as both Xenoblade, which I've only recently bought and am still (somewhat) actively playing AND Rune Factory Frontier (the story is complete, recently beat the 3rd boss but haven't beat the 4th and final nor have I married).

For Wii U..
I'm maybe 75% through NSMBWU
I'm doing some of epilogue chapter of Batman: Arkham City
but.. haven't scratched the surface of Assassins Creed 3 and have maybe only done 4 or 5 missions of BLOPS.

I bought Balloon Fight and Nano Assault Neo on a whim last weekend, too :/
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 08, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »
Play Battalion Wars.  Also Nano Assault is a fun mess around a bit game.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 08, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »

You don't understand though, I already tried this during the Wii lifespan when I was actually caught up with (most) of my Wii library. I went out and found a ton of old, cheap GCN games that I started to play but then dropped off my radar. Off the top of my head I can tell you I still own but haven't really put much time into:

DK Jungle Beat (if thats the right name)
Resident Evil (REmake)
Resident Evil 0 (if I decide to call up my ex to get it back)
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
Killer 7
XII (this is the one I made most progress in, I can't beat that fucking last boss though!)
Geist (just remembered this one, tied with XII - Can't beat the fucking boss)

For Wii...
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Trauma Center: New Blood (again, if I get it back from my ex)
Excitetruck (never unlocked that last cup)
Excitebots (see above)
SKATE it
Manhunt 2 (game froze on me towards the end and I got side tracked by RFF or something)
Battalion Wars
Mario Strikers (Never unlocked all cups)

as well as both Xenoblade, which I've only recently bought and am still (somewhat) actively playing AND Rune Factory Frontier (the story is complete, recently beat the 3rd boss but haven't beat the 4th and final nor have I married).

For Wii U..
I'm maybe 75% through NSMBWU
I'm doing some of epilogue chapter of Batman: Arkham City
but.. haven't scratched the surface of Assassins Creed 3 and have maybe only done 4 or 5 missions of BLOPS.

I bought Balloon Fight and Nano Assault Neo on a whim last weekend, too :/

Got you, I recently played through all resident evil games Gamecube has to offer, except for Code Veronica since I like playing that one on my Dreamcast. But I have to say even today the remake of the first resident evil and Zero has some of the best graphics the series has produced even compared with todays efforts.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 08, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »
Agreed, even though I only played Zero for a few minutes, and once EVER. I wonder if PN03's "hypnotic" ass will still look good all these years later :P

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 08, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »
I was always too much of a bitch to finish REmake without using the unlimited acid rounds for my grenade launcher trick. **** still would freak me out.

And you didn't unlock the last cup in Excite Truck? Try again, my friend. That last stage is a thing of beauty. Easily the best stage by far. Even it's music kicks so much ass. I won't spoil it for you though.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:24:26 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 08, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »
This just in: New Retro game in development is a Mature 1st person RPG
They're porting Borderlands 1 & 2 in a collection?!

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 08, 2013, 08:45:48 PM »
And you didn't unlock the last cup in Excite Truck? Try again, my friend. That last stage is a thing of beauty. Easily the best stage by far. Even it's music kicks so much ass. I won't spoil it for you though.

Actually I can't remember if I did or didn't. I know I've seen the last cup Nebula something right? some sort of alien planet with lots of trippy crystals?? but I can't remember if it was because I unlocked it and then lost my save file or because someone had unlocked it in the break-room Wii at the Nintendo Store when I worked there.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 08, 2013, 10:09:30 PM »
I unlocked the last cup in Excite Truck on my nephew's Wii. Excite Truck basically goes down as the #2 or #3 Wii game simply because of custom soundtracks.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA