Author Topic: IGN: GC is outselling xbox by 1.5 million!  (Read 9638 times)

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: IGN: GC is outselling xbox by 1.5 million!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2003, 09:04:44 AM »
Oh fun this arguement again.

Nintendo might be quoting quaterly shipping totals which to the console companies = sold. Because there is no buy back program for systems or games that don't sell.

And the first quarterly totals where released last month. There are many ways to look at things that is why numbers are irrelevant.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Polyethylene

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
IGN: GC is outselling xbox by 1.5 million!
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2003, 09:08:04 AM »
Isn't pathetic how ms can't reach nintendo even with all its throwing millions?
Hail to the thief

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2003, 03:16:01 PM »
Yes it is Polyethylene, I  see more demand for GC's as the coming months apporche, after christmas we will see a big difference.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2003, 03:37:49 PM »
Man since when did console sales become so big? I remember back in the day it was all about the games. I never knew how many consoles a company soled until the Xbox, Ps2, GC war.
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2003, 05:09:56 PM »
Actually it's been that way since sony released the psx that's when the numbers started. It's not so much as numbers that matter, it's how our favourite company is fairing.

We here would like Nintendo show what "Real" games are.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2003, 06:14:09 PM »
Vanilla > Chocolate

vanilla custard sales are leading chocolate by 200k cartons!! did you see the chocolate rep try and talk up their carton by saying it can push more custard than the vanilla one? what they didn't say is you have to cut the carton in half first!
what fools

vanilla on the other hand, its great! it is even 99% fat free, so no pointless added features for me

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2003, 06:18:06 PM »
Vanilla? Are you crazy man!?

Vanilla custard reps have been stating wrong sales figures for months, they were including sales of Matchbox cars, for some unknown reason! Chocolate OWNS Vanilla in sales!

JUST LIKE A CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE, ONLY CRUNCHY!

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2003, 07:56:52 PM »
um i know for a fact that nintendo isnt up by that much as of now....i think hte cube is still in second, and with the gba/gbasp its in first place overall, but its misleading to say that it is up by 1.3 million consoles as of now. i think that it is in 2nd though. i dont htink that xbox has sold or shipped 1.3 million consoles as of the end of march.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2003, 03:31:14 AM »
As long as I can say to my Xbox-only *friends* that Nintendo is killing them, then this is fine with me.
It's a good feeling isn't it? You know it is.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Nintendork SP

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2003, 05:31:06 AM »
Give up now, you can't beat Ymeegod, he just argues(oh look I spelt that wrong, he'll complain about that) endlessly.  Just give up, trust me I tried everything at the PlanetNintendo to get him to shut the hell up.  It doesn't work.  Even if his arguments are super annoying.  
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Offline Byron

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2003, 05:49:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Ymeegod
LOL, that coming from a Nintendo REP no less.

The key is nintendo's comparing MS's 8 million units (Dec 31, 2002) numbers and comparing them with Nintendo's CURRENT numbers (9.3 Million March 31st).  That's pretty much one sided.

Big N did the same thing last year when the Xbox launched in euro.  Nintendo was using current numbers and comparing them with number MS gave two months eariler.

So really nintendo isn't LYING but at the same time it's a bunch of PR BS at it's best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I please see a link saying those numbers are from the dates that you claim?

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2003, 06:41:15 AM »
As long as Nintendo is profitable for this generation, I really don't see the point of mulling over the details. Yeah, I'm surprised that seasoned veteran Nintendo has shook of MS, but at the same time with the kind of money the MS has and can throw at this endeavour, it's pretty damn susrpising that they have yet to even make at dent into the PS2.

The fanboys need to face it--Sony has pretty much locked things down. I would be worried if Nintendo was in finacial trouble, but how many times do we have to remind people that Nintendo is NOT Sega. Outside of that, I don't see how sales numbers can affect one's enjoyment of their console. You some issues to work out if this is how you think.

Unfortunately, I think this is a disease that is being picked up by the industry itself. This year's E3 was glaring example of this. We got  a lot safe bet sequels and concepts. Games that license images from movies and other media are becoming more prevasive than they ever were during the 8 and 16 bit generations. Overall there is a lot more concentration on where a company is within the market, as opposed to what they a trying to bring to the table. The insane growth this industry has experinced can be reveresed quickly when quality plays second fiddle to everything else. Even Nintendo is not immune to this virus and while I generally like what they have been trying to accomplish of late, there are certain ideas I want them to avoid. The Four Swords thing sounds cool, but the Zelda name has generally been built on mainly the regular adventures and not spin offs. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.  

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2003, 07:29:21 AM »
yea thats the key thing to remember. nintendo makes the most money in hte 11 billion dollar industry. the biggest entertainment industry if i am not mistaken. its bigger then music and movies. and nintendo is on top of that(money wise). so as long as they arent going out of buisness, i really dont care. although it would be cool to see nitnendo be dominate again, they would have to sacrafice that money to gain market share, and i guess i cant blame them for not going that route. i do think they need to watch out though....by the time the next nintendo console launches i wouldnt be suprised if their gamecube installed base isnt barely over 30 milllion at best. nintendo needs to make sure to not let it get to low and also not underestimate sony's handheld. and for petes sake launch the console with a freaking tight game. smash brothers melee saved the cube. nintendo needs to make sure ot have some better launch titles. at least one to apeal to every region. and with that i am pretty sure that at this point nintendo is second world wide, but not by a significant margin....i really doubt that m$ shipped 1.3 million consoles in the 3 slowest months of the year.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2003, 07:38:47 AM »
Since I already posted my sources a few times, others have even posted it as well in the existing NPD thread?

Doubt my numbers?  They come from nintendo's freaking fiscal report 2001 & 2002.  Nintendo's fiscal period ends march 31.

In 2001 nintendo missed it's goal of 4 million units, stated it was 3.5 million.
In 2002 nintendo missed it's goal of 10 million units, it stated it sold 5.6 million.

Just do the math--that's 9.1 million.

MS stated 8 million Xbox's sold by the end of it's 2002 (Dec 31st) year.  Since then it sold 700K straight from NPD alone.  (That's jan-march) alone.

---------------------------------------

Saddly, I'm not a fanboy since I own ALL (of course I'm a TRUE gamer) but I'm not some blindass fanboy making numbers out of the blue.

Offline Byron

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2003, 08:05:27 AM »
I don't remember Nintendo saying their sales for 2001 fiscal year was 3.5 million.  Do you have a link of that?

Also Microsoft said they expect around 6 million consoles sold for their fiscal year which ends in June.  So for XBox to get 10 million right now they should have sold 4 million in their 2001 fiscal year and that was when they only had American sales and recently launched in Japan and Europe and during that time the GC was beating them in both Japan and Europe and before Microsoft dropped the price.

If what you are saying is true, it doesn't make sense why IGN would say it unless they are fanboys or something.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2003, 08:18:14 AM »
yea what Byron said is true. either way i dont think either consoles has a significant lead. nitnendo is making way more money though. all i can say is that if nintendo matched every package deal that xbox has done, then their sales would probably be double that of microsofts.  remember how dead m$ was in europe and america before the bundles. they were at one point giving away xboxs with a 2 year subscription to msn braodband. that just shows u how bad it was actually selling. if m$ didnt do the bundles it would have gone out of buisness already. cuz although it wasnt doing great in america, it wasnt doing bad....but it had officially flopped in europe.  

Thomas Paine

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2003, 08:24:29 AM »
XBox to get 10 million?  Huh?  I didn't state 10 million did I :0.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2003, 08:25:37 AM »
"they should have sold 4 million in their 2001 "

Actually MS hit it's 3.5 million in June 2001.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2003, 08:37:46 AM »
"remember how dead m$ was in europe and america before the bundles. they were at one point giving away xboxs with a 2 year subscription to msn braodband. that just shows u how bad it was actually selling. if m$ didnt do the bundles it would have gone out of buisness already. cuz although it wasnt doing great in america, it wasnt doing bad....but it had officially flopped in europe."

LOL, guess you didn't hear about nintendo's promo then?  

And signing up on MSN gives you $200 here in the states has been for years.  Why, because they freaking charge you $40 a month and you're ON a CONTRACT.  Same with AOL BTW.   This really isn't a promo,  more like screwing morons :0 since the FEE on breaking the contract is Laughable.

Never--Ever--be a fool and sign up with something requiring a contract without reading the fine print.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2003, 08:43:31 AM »
The PSP I would not worry about anymore. Explaination found in the PSP Vs GBNX thread at GBA discussion.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2003, 09:02:05 AM »

And signing up on MSN gives you $200 here in the states has been for years. Why, because they freaking charge you $40 a month and you're ON a CONTRACT. Same with AOL BTW. This really isn't a promo, more like screwing morons :0 since the FEE on breaking the contract is Laughable.

Ummm...no.  Its 21.95 a month.  And for some people who were going to get MSN anyway, it is worth it.  I don't feel screwed in the slightest, since I bought my DVD player and a few movies with that money, and was getting MSN anyway.  And, yes, it is a contract, but i knew it going in, and don't plan on breaking it.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2003, 09:12:38 AM »
"Ummm...no. Its 21.95 a month. And for some people who were going to get MSN anyway,"

That's 56k?  Not broadband.

$21.95 per month for 56k, yet there is plenty that charge 1/2 that ($9 a month for dreamcatcher from example).  Some charge $7.

36 months at $21.95 = 790.20 (MSN gives you $400 rebate)
36 months at $9 =324

You end up paying $66.20 more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See Foolish.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2003, 09:50:34 AM »

$21.95 per month for 56k, yet there is plenty that charge 1/2 that ($9 a month for dreamcatcher from example). Some charge $7.

Foolish if I didn't know there were cheaper services, but i did know.   Maybe I wanted MSN instead , of say, Juno.  You never paid more for something because you prefer it?  Everyone does, and it doesn't make them foolish.  Foolish?  A boy/girl who comes on a forum to argue about numbers of a system that he/she likes is foolish, if not moronic.  Why do you even care?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2003, 10:16:58 AM »
It doesn't make a difference since performance is the same.

And all these "features" are included in the ISP that I listed as well.

Why pay more for the same service?  

Unless you live in hicksville then there's bound to be multiple ISPs.  

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2003, 11:28:50 AM »
to get back to actual console sales, here is a link that pretty much proves that both ms and nintendo are lying, and that the numbers are probably much closer then both would have you believe.

http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=37879

of course, we still dont really know how many consoles ms has sold, and wont until june. but if nintendo had 9.3 million sold as of march(speculate probably somewhere between 10-11 million by now), and ms had 8 million as of december, the totals as of now by my estimations would be just about exact. i think the more important thing is that no matter how good nintendo or ms may claim to be doing against each other, they are both losing to sony in a big way.