Author Topic: Anyone else think Nintendo had a lame show?  (Read 13405 times)

Offline Rabidsquirrel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Anyone else think Nintendo had a lame show?
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2003, 07:10:20 AM »
yah, i think we were all expecting this huge line up of newand amazing games, but we got (still really great) games that were allreaddy announced, and yes the whole excitment for e3 was gone this year like rick said.

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
Anyone else think Nintendo had a lame show?
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2003, 10:03:44 AM »
I was let down by nintendo's E3 in fact I'm starting to get fed up with nintendo. The only game that got me really excited is lotr: return of the king....viewtiful joe sounds promising and I'm skeptical about rebel strike and star fox. And no NBA Jam, that just f-ing pisses me off. If nintendo just keeps churning out hippie games and no cool action games or mature themed games and or anything new that is worth a sh_t...I don't know man........................................  

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2003, 12:57:56 PM »
Walking the floor at this year's E3, one thing is always apparent...I end up at the Nintendo booth almost every time.  Sure, gathering shirts and walking the other halls while taking pictures with really fine women is fun, but the Big N's booth seems to draw you like a magnet.  I was disappointed by MGS: Twin Snakes and the camera work on with Rogue Squadron (you can't even control the camera on the ground missions); however, I really wasn't impressed by any other booth.  Sure, Microsoft had HALO II, but that was it.  I was a big Conker's BFD fan for the N64, yet it didn't seem to make a giant leap in gameplay and graphics in my honest opinion.  Kameo had some potential, but the market has become flooded third person.  Sony had a pretty solid showing, but it didn't outshine anyone elses.  

All-in-all, I'm going to have to agree that there wasn't really anything impressive all around (except for Prince of Persia...that game rocks).

cubist
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Cube323

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2003, 03:21:58 PM »
Well I would take the opinion of a man who calls himself a child of lucifer, nothing says credibility more than identifying yourself w/ the ultimate image of evil. (sarcassm) I don't know man.....

Anyway, who said Nintendo was third, thats far from the truth. About 1.4 million units away from the truth actually.  Didn't you read any of the press?  What about the business page or the WSJ?  Even when Nintendo was behind in the numbers the X-box was losing $140 per system! lol!  Now that number is more like $100 a system, ever since micrsoft decided to get cheap w/ their parts.  Plus X-box sells the fewest games of the big three.  Wanna know why?  They suck!

I'm beggining to wonder if any of the Nintendo bashers in this thread were even at the F**king show!

It may have seemed like an average show to some, but that is because next year is going to be one of the biggest "do or die" shows in E3 history.  This is the calm before the storm.  Next year we will see the Gta series on GameCube and X-box, plus there's that rumor about the Final Fantasy 7 remake for GameCube.  

I think all three companies have something really big up their sleves.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2003, 05:05:28 PM »

Edit: Oh, and Mario, IGN and Gamespot both confirmed on the first day of E3 this year that the GCN is SECOND worldwide, beating the Xbox by 1.3 million units sold, Xbox however, still has a sizable lead in the US, which happens to be where Nintendo sells the most software...But hey, Nintendo is profiting at least, until MS's game divisions...

I was actually just talking about the US, Europe and Australia, but yeah GC is second worldwide

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2003, 05:54:11 PM »
i was HORRIBLY dissapointed by this years E3.
(Rick is partially to blame with this... getting my expectations up....(he knows what I mean)

I have, however, bitched about this enough.  And im not going to do it again here.

I'm getting the new PS2 design...
thats how much this E3 dissapointed me.
(and how badly i need DDR)

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2003, 06:13:15 PM »
I wasn't there but from what i've seen...

Nintendo - 6.5/10

Not a poor showing, just not that great. Pokemon and Zelda games were anti-climaxes, basically no-one cares about a new Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon TV sounds mildly interesting at best. Also the Zelda games were a complete joke, why they even showed them is beyond me. Something escaped from the NCL labs while the guards were on a break. They look like freeware PC games made by 16 year old programmers. 16-bit games might have *just* cut it a generation ago, but they sure as hell don't today. Geist was a pleasant surprise with a wonderful concept, and if some heavy work is put in by N-Space AND Nintendo, this could just be a Halo killer. The Twin Snakes got DOMINATED by MGS3: Snake Eater, Nintendo should have just had SK working with Konami to port Snake Eater to the cube. Remakes are sooo two years ago. F-Zero looks great, Starfox looks average, 1080 looks almost redundant. Mario Party 5 and Mario Golf should be huge sellers in Japan, so a sensible (if not obvious) move on that one. The whole GBA->GC connectivity feature looks stupider everyday, time to drop it guys.

Microsoft - 6/10

Halo 2 being unplayable makes it utterly pointless, nothing more than a glorified tech demo. Rare's games looked somewhat interesting but i'd say the selling potential of a game titled "Grabbed By The Ghoulies" is questionable at best. Ultimately nothing particularily exciting from Rare, for the $250 odd million they put in, Rare looks to be a dog of an investment, with nothing your average studio couldn't do. Doom III is exciting, but somewhat nullified by it being released on PC as well. Microsoft seems to be aiming for the PC gamer in a way, so we'll see what happens there. Xbox Live is really the only thing selling Xboxes (but rightly so). The line from MS this year seems to be "Japan? Where is that!?!", good on them for having the balls for cutting their losses, I feel sorry for the 3-5 Japanese gamers who are now stuck with living with a box, maybe they'll find some use for it as a table.

Sony - 6/10

Forget PSP, a poor attempt to rattle Nintendo to disguise a fairly poor showing. Nontheless it seems to have worked, the heat is on now for the GBA and Nintendo, however it doesn't mean much to Joe Public, as no one really cares about a sheet of specs to be made reality a year and a half from now. GT4 yawn, it's GT, again and there is really not much else to it. Castlevania yawn, we've seen it butchered in 3D by Konami before, looks like they're coming back for an encore. MGS: Snake Eater looks exceptional, Konami seems to be leaving the Xbox version in never-neverland where it belongs for this one. Sony had nothing else interesting at all really.

All in all this year i'd say there were no winners, just losers. In comparison to last years amazing show, this one was pretty run of the mill. If anything it was the 3rd parties who put on the show.  

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2003, 08:27:45 AM »
From hearing what everyone said, I think this is how the award show should go:

Winner: Prince of Persia

Join Losers: Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft

that would be the funniest thing.

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2003, 09:30:49 AM »
I haven't been paying attention to the gaming industry at all for the past month.  I've kind of been sick, but I'm also losing interest but thats another story.  Anyway, i logged on here and just missed e3 back went and looked at all the coverage. my impressiom:  meh.  I wasn't impressed. I'm excited about some of the games but there is no way i'm gonna shell out 50 bucks for something like tetras trackers. a load of crap in my opinion.
it was time for a change.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2003, 08:05:10 PM »
Yeah third parties actually had some of the best stuff this year.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2003, 08:32:13 PM »
Wait til Spaceworld!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2003, 05:00:37 AM »
Yeah, get your hopes up for Spaceworld, so they can kick you in the balls again! Seriously, I think those shows are definitely overrated.

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2003, 05:54:45 AM »
I've said this in another thread, and I think that it bears repeating here. I don't think Nintendo set out to blow us away at E3. Looking at their press conference, it looked more like they were shedding their image as a company who could care less about 3rd parties or what the major part of gaming community wants (ie mature games). They weren't completely succesful on that front (the GBA connectivity looks like it's going alienate more GC owners rather than attracting GBA owners to the GC). For the most part, though, I think they did a decent job of showing some change.

I think Nintendo is really getting ready to  compete now. The N-Space thing did surprise me, and when you combine that with the news of the new Tokyo development team, farming out franchises, and even Nintendo splitting up development teams to work on more projects, I feel as though that they are really trying hard to atone for things they have been accused of in the past.

People bitched endlessly about the trickle of games on the N64--well right now it looks like that will be over with.

Some have been disappointed with the lack of mature software or certain popular genres like fps--it looks like that Nintendo is developing it's own exclusive fps while trying to get closer to 3rd parties who could fill in the blanks in their lineup.

Yeah, it was disappointing not to see something with the kind of fanfare that Halo2 or Half-Life 2 recieved (I watched the web closely during E3 hoping to see the supposedly jaw dropping Mario 128). However, I think people have given Microsoft too much credit for their show. They got the presentation down in spades, but they lacked the substance. Halo 2 was still just a video, and the rest of what they showed was not new or terribly interesting. I also would like to know what is going on with Rare. I reserve my judgement until their games come out, but what they showed at E3 only seems to feed into the opinion that they are a shadow of their former selves.

I won't even get into the PS2 show. I surprise that more people haven't complained how their showing was nearly as boring as Nintendo's.

I guess the last thing I want to say is that we need to be patient. There were few posters last week that ranted like crazy about the short commings of the GC. I'm frustrated as well, but these things take time. I takes nearly 2 years to make a compentent 3D game these days. It also takes time to cut deals with 3rd parties. My prediction for the rest of this generation is that the GC will stay in the place it is, and when all is said and done it will go out in a blaze of glory with some incredibly strong and quirky titles. When the next N system is introduce that is we will all be able to appreciate the fruits of Nintendo's labour as all their chips will finally be in place. I think it's too late now to expect any great surprises except possibly in the realm of the handheld market. I dying to see how Nintendo is going to counter.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2003, 04:02:26 PM »
Yeah, I sort of agree with you, egman.  I was happy with everything Nintendo showed us.  All the games I intended to get still look awesome, and even ones that I thought would suck look great.  Giftpia, which I had seen nothing of before, looks extremely cool to me (I don't know why, just does, though I still probably won't get it).  M$ and Sony dished out a bunch of sequals and stuff, and that's basically it.  Not to say some of those won't be good (Halo 2 and GTA should be), though.  I just preferred Nintendo's, and I sure as heck can't see what everyone's whining about.

But I'm fairly easy to please, if'n you know what I like.  And Nintendo seems to know what I like.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2003, 09:17:45 PM »
i wrote long post and my f ucking browser just... grrr...

the point of my post was essentially, nintendo... forget it, i'll write it tomorrow
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2003, 06:15:09 AM »
I wasn't really looking to be blown away, but I was hoping to at least be impressed.  From what I've seen, the show wasn't horrible, it just was....well, it just was.  It wasn't good or bad.  If there were a 5 star rating, it would have a 3.  I was surprised by tetra's trackers, but not pleased.  Someone said this already, but it is very gimmicky.  WW was already about tracking things down for the most part, which i hated.  So I know tetra's trackers isn't worth my time, and especially not 50 dollars.
I was pleased with Pikmin 2, and Mario Kart, DD but I already knew about them though. I guess the best part about this year's E3 is that nintendo posted direct feed movies of most the games shown at E3 on their website. And they are in Quicktime. Yey.

edit- my post was supposed to read "the show wasn't horrible"
it was time for a change.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2003, 08:54:38 AM »
What do you people expect mid generation? Back when the N64, SNES was in mid-generation, there was this time where no one was impressed because it seemed that you already saw it all. But then comes end of generation where suddenly games like DKC and Rogue Squadron came out and people started pissing themselfs again. The fact is that this happens every mid-generation you end up with this slump we are seeing now.

But still, I got to get me some of those games
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2003, 02:59:05 PM »
Well, whatever.  I still liked it, so you all can mope while I have a blast playing these games.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline codyy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2003, 11:39:50 AM »
**Whisper**" If you wait until space world, they will come"**Whisper**
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token..."
--Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven, 1845.

To liberals everywhere: HA!

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2003, 04:07:35 PM »
I thought that Nintendo did decent this year, but this years E3 was pretty lackluster. Yeah, the Mario Kart stuff was shown way too early to get excited about. Thats not to say that Nintendo was the most disappointing at show.

Theres a bunch of titles to get excited about. I'm not a big fan of F-Zero, but I'm very interested in Star Fox Armada. I hope they fix the controls though...
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2003, 01:52:53 AM »
Well theres no spaceworld this year people. Nintendo suck :\

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2003, 05:16:23 PM »
Sweet Jeebus, stop complaining.  The games will come out, whether or not they show them at E3.  Just try to have a scrap of patience.  These things don't determine how good a company is; the games themselves do.  Therefore, Nintendo is easily the best; you may say that all their games sucked, but you know that they don't.  No surprises?  Whoopti crap.  Every game I saw on the Nintendo list (pokemon playoffs aside) looked very fun.  So that's my take on it.  I'm happy, and I pity those of you that have tricked yourselves into disappointment.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2003, 03:14:55 AM »
mario isn't being serious

i think its time for nintendo to announce Space world down under yepah i could sure go for a space world in australia

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2003, 10:41:23 AM »
I know he was kidding (I was talking in general), but he was still actually disappointed that it wasn't happening.  Or I at least imagine he was.  Either way, I wasn't talking to Mario exclusively.  It just weirds me out that everyone's unhappy about the games that are coming out.

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2003, 09:47:06 PM »
Things will begin to turn around when Gamecube 2 is announced, hopefully during next year's E3.