Author Topic: Nintendo Considering Wii U Rebrand?  (Read 20991 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Nintendo Considering Wii U Rebrand?
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:53:29 PM »

Nintendo's upcoming console may be receiving a new name.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/29089

Nintendo is reconsidering the name "Wii U" for their next home console, and may change the name of it before the next E3 comes around, according to CVG sources "close to the platform holder."

According to the website, discussions are taking place at the highest corporate level, and that this may be part of an effort to avoid public confusion Nintendo originally experienced with the 3DS. The sources say that a name change is a real possibility, and that Nintendo is putting forth an effort not to make similar mistakes with their next console.

Nintendo presented the Wii U for the first time at E3 2011, which soon resulted in share price dropping to a five year low

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Considering Wii U Rebrand
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:00:33 PM »
A change would be nice. As it has been said before, it is quite easy to confuse it for an accessory for the current Wii.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:01:57 PM »
After having to explain to my sister that the 3DS was basically a "Super DS", a new name is probably a good idea...

Just call it the Wii Stream. The idiotic 8th grade mentality GameFAQs users need their pee jokes.  ;)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »
SUPER Wii

or

NEWii

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
I really don't see Nintendo If they do with a new name, it'll probably just be just a new spelling-- "Wiiyu". I'm willing to bet.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:15:30 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Considering Wii U Rebrand?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13:55 PM »
You can't believe how much of a relief it is for me to hear this rumor that Nintendo is considering changing the name of the Wii U. I know its just a rumor, but often times these rumors end up having a grain of truth to them so it is giving me some hope the next console might have an awesome name.
is your sanity...

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »
You can't believe how much of a relief it is for me to hear this rumor that Nintendo is considering changing the name of the Wii U. I know its just a rumor, but often times these rumors end up having a grain of truth to them so it is giving me some hope the next console might have an awesome name.
Don't get your hopes up. Remember, if they're really considering this it's only to make it clearer to the public that it's its own system and not a Wii add-on. Since Nintendo seems to be otherwise satisfied with the basic premise for the original name they picked, it's pretty safe to assume they won't be straying far from it for any new one. If they do choose to go with a new name, expect it to be along the lines of "WiiYu" or "Yuu". Mark my words.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:40:28 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
Wii 2.

Keep the Wii Branding.  Adding the number system clearly indicates that it is not just an add-on.  Sounds similar to Wii U when trying to speak it, but flows much better.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »
Wii 2.

Keep the Wii Branding.  Adding the number system clearly indicates that it is not just an add-on.  Sounds similar to Wii U when trying to speak it, but flows much better.

That's not Nintendo's style. If they do anything along that line, it'll be "Wii Tu".

Offline Mataata

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:44:20 PM »
Nintendo Revolution!
Nintendo Revolution!
NINTENDO FREAKN' REVOLUTION
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:19 PM »
Wii 2.

That's not Nintendo's style. If they do anything along that line, it'll be "Wii Tu".

May not be Nintendo's style, but if they want to ride the successful Wii brand without people assuming it's an add-on to the original, then either Wii 2 or re-naming it something else entirely sans-Wii would be the best option (in my opinion).

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
Wii-Tooie
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline KITT 10K

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 11:39:51 PM »
The Nintendo "TS", (like as in "Touch Screen" for the new controller), or maybe just the "Nintendo Touch".

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »
Dear god, let this not only be a rumour, but let it be true! Bring back the Revolution name!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »

Wii U2.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 02:04:55 AM »
Nintendo is the brand that they should be pushing. Start there.

My top 5
1. Nintendo Stream
2. Nintendo 6
3. Nintendo HD
4. Nintendo i (like DSi)
5. Nintendo Origin - I thought of this when there was talk of Nintendo employing EA Origin as part of their online strategy. Won't happen but I thought it sounded cool.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 03:06:30 AM »
Here is what I am hoping the name will be: Super Wii.  :D ;D
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 03:11:24 AM »
"More Wii".

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 03:36:49 AM »
Hmmm... Nintendo StarCube anyone?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »
Nintendo Revolution!
Nintendo Revolution!
NINTENDO FREAKN' REVOLUTION

Don't you know? The Revolution has already been televised. In blurry SD resolution and waggle in front of you.

Call it Wii 2.

Or Yuu.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline mcpish

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »
In the old days (circa < 1991) all the console companies used to give their consoles different names for different regions.  ie.  Super Famicom = Super NES, Sega Megadrive = Sega Genesis, PC Engine = TurboGrafx 16.  It's really only been since the Sony Playstation1 that it started to become common for the console companies to use common names throughout the world.

Also, the console designs, especially from Nintendo, differed quite a lot too.  The casing of the SNES (designed by Lance Barr at NOA) looked quite different than the casing of the Super Famicom.  Ditto for the original NES and Famicom.  The PC Engine looked quite different than the TurboGrafx-16 (it was white and smaller).  However the Genesis and MegaDrive looked the same with just some minor cosmetic differences.  The point that I haven't seen anyone raise is that is it's completely possible that NOA could unveil a radically different name and case than what Nintendo of Japan has.  It's not without precedent.

I'm thinking that even if Nintendo of Japan wanted to keep the WiiU name for some odd reason, it doesn't mean Nintendo of America has to.  NOA could do something old school and give the console a different name in North America if nothing else.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:44:35 PM by mcpish »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
Having different names for different regions seems backwards in an ever-globalizing world. Then again, cars still do it and that's because some cars have weird names in different regions.

Offline mcpish

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 02:52:16 PM »
Just to add to what I said.  I found a good interview with Lance Barr (the designer of the North American NES and SNES casing), and this is what he said:

ND: The Super NES design is quite square compared to the Super Famicom. What was your motivation for going in that design direction?
  LB: The Super Famicom was maybe okay for the market in Japan. For the US, I felt that it was too soft and had no edge. We were always looking at future modular components (even the NES had a connector on the bottom), so you had to design with the idea of stacking on top of other components. I though the Super Famicom didn't look good when stacked and even by itself, had a kind of "bag of bread" look.

ND: Why is it that all the case designs have been handled by NCL from 1995 on?  Do you have any input into those designs at this point, in order to ensure American appeal?
  LB: Individually designing a product for a given market would definitely appeal to more consumers, and would be seen as having a more current, in style look. Because of the low cost of packaging, companies almost always individually design for each market--regardless of the language requirements since they know that for the cost, you can better reach your intended audience. But with products, the realities of manufacturing and time to market make it necessary to design in a single, world-wide style. Nintendo started to do this beginning with Nintendo 64. Of course the down side of this is that a given design never quite fits the needs of a particular market as well as it could had it been specifically designed for that market. Within these bounds, Nintendo localizes the hardware for each market, mainly thorough variations in color

http://www.nintendojo.com/archives/interviews/view_item.php?1130801472

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »
i hope it has a powerful name that invoke thoughts of panthers and lions running through the forest eating unicorns and then using the rainbow powers they've absorbed from eating the unicorns to grow wings and then pack hunt dragons.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
i hope it has a powerful name that invoke thoughts of panthers and lions running through the forest eating unicorns and then using the rainbow powers they've absorbed from eating the unicorns to grow wings and then pack hunt dragons.

Something along the lines of the Atari Jaguar would be great. No one would ever dare make fun of a console which is named after a carnivorous apex predator.
is your sanity...