Author Topic: PS2 price cut  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Magus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
PS2 price cut
« on: May 13, 2003, 06:40:34 PM »
Just heard that Sony has officialy cut the price of the PS2 to $179.99.....Seems like we may have another price war start up, although I can't see Nintendo dropping the price of the gamecube any lower...what do you guys think?
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
PS2 price cut
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 07:02:45 PM »
I don't think Nintendo or MS will cut prices on the Gamecube and X-box. The PS2 price cut isn't a real price cut. Its just to clear out the current PS2 inventory. Sony is releasing an updated PS2 that reads DVD-R and DVD-RW formats. This new version of the PS2 will also include the Netword Adapter. The new version of the PS2 will be 199.99, this price cut will only be in affect for the older model PS2.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
RE: PS2 price cut
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 07:08:48 PM »
I think that Sony just wants to move the old systems so they can start selling the PS2 with NA.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
PS2 price cut
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 08:04:51 PM »
i think nintendo should do the same and justify as clearing stock for a new GAMECUBE SP (aka Panasonic Q)... yah right!!!
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
PS2 price cut
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 08:10:21 PM »
The X-Box has dropped to $179.99 also according to the ebgames.com website.   Nothing for Nintnedo yet.

Nintendo really better plan on dropping its price also to at least $130 if not more.  I think a $99.99 price would do wonders, but I doubt Nintnedo woudl be willing to take the significant hit in profits.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 08:19:08 PM »
Not anytime soon. But then again the last price cut wasn't announced at E3 but at the investor meeting that happen soon after.  But don't your hopes up too much at the press conference the said they didn't have any immediate plans to cut the prices which may change by December.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
PS2 price cut
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 08:48:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Scyth3r
The X-Box has dropped to $179.99 also according to the ebgames.com website.   Nothing for Nintnedo yet.

Nintendo really better plan on dropping its price also to at least $130 if not more.  I think a $99.99 price would do wonders, but I doubt Nintnedo woudl be willing to take the significant hit in profits.

Are you serious that makes absolutely nosense on MS's part and wouldn't make sense for Nintendo drop the price of the GC. This isn't a real price cut. Its like the price cut on the original GBA. They only cut the price to get rid of the rest of the inventory. So once they get rid of the model PS2's all that will be left are the $199.99 PS2s with DVD-R/RW reading capability and the network adapter included. If the new price applied to the new model PS2 I could understand MS matching and Nintendo following with a price cut of their own. Otherwise they would be bilking themselves out of an extra $20 per unit.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Mr Bloober

• View Profile
PS2 price cut
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 09:36:00 PM »
Man, this price cut was so pathetic, I am not going to buy a PS2 because of it.

And I was going to, too.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
PS2 price cut
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 09:41:37 PM »
isn't that kind of a silly mentality? i mean, if you obviously rationalized a purchase of the PS2 as being worth your money, shouldn't the fact that you can now save a couple bucks work to convince you that it will be even MORE warrented?

EDIT:ahhh... i see... well then that is understandable then
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Sir Kero

• View Profile
PS2 price cut
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 09:58:21 PM »
I think our squishy, tentacled freind meant that he was planning to buy one after the price drop, but was severely dissapointed by the dinky $20 cut.
I know I feel the same way.. There aren't enough PS2 games I really want to warrant a $180 purchase, but $150 certainly would have tempted me.

btw.. is there any particular reason to puit this in GC Discussion? just curious..

Offline Magus

• View Profile
PS2 price cut
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 10:33:24 AM »
I just wanted to know if people thought this price cut would mean a price cut for the gamecube...thats why i put it here  
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2003, 10:36:07 AM »
I don't see a price cut happening. Nintendo still has the free bundle deal going and is still cheaper than the others. It wasn't really a price cut because Sony plans on selling the new PS2 for $199. I think that Microsoft thought it was a price cut and decided to make XBox $179.

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
PS2 price cut
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2003, 11:34:04 AM »
I'm think now that Microsoft has lowered the price of the XBox, the new PS2 with Net adapter will come out at $179 too.  Sony may have wanted to sell it at $199 but that chance is now gone. They should have included the HDD and in the model too. Oh well. I still have my (unused) launch day PS2.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.