Author Topic: Vs. Super Mario finally available... sorta.  (Read 5730 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Vs. Super Mario finally available... sorta.
« on: September 01, 2011, 03:19:42 AM »
$50 and it's an illegal copy.

Damn me and my morals. :(

Edit: don't want to encourage sending money to these guys for illegally produced software.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:15:08 PM by MegaByte »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Vs. Super Mario finally available... sorta.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
I don't think I'd get too hung up on morals for a 25 year-old game that Nintendo barely even saw fit to release back then. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »
And that's just one of the areas where you and I differ. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
That is cool as hell but $50 is too expensive for me.  I'd go more for around 20.

If you feel guilty about buying it then why not buy $50 of Wii points and never spend them?  You just paid $50 to Nintendo so you can see it as "buying" from them something that they themselves were not offering for sale.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
I'm betting you could purchase an empty cartridge for less, then just load the ROM yourself.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
If you feel guilty about buying it then why not buy $50 of Wii points and never spend them?  You just paid $50 to Nintendo so you can see it as "buying" from them something that they themselves were not offering for sale.

But then you're also giving $50 to a party that doesn't deserve it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »
But then you're also giving $50 to a party that doesn't deserve it.

Consider that their fee for providing you with the convenience of offering a cartridge.  You pay Nintendo for the game and these other guys for the service of distributing the game.  Yeah Nintendo isn't in on this but they still get paid for it so you're not ripping them off.  While $50 is rather steep I would say these guys deserve some payment for providing you the customer with a service that Nintendo is refusing to offer.  You want this game.  Nintend sits on it and does not offer a legal way to obtain it.  You sidestep around that and pay someone else for the product you want that Nintendo doesn't offer and you pay Nintendo at the same time.  I wouldn't lose a millisecond of sleep over it.

Is it illegal?  Sure, but I don't care.  I don't see it as unethic or immoral to break the law.  There are many things that are unethic and immoral that are also illegal and I would not feel right in doing those things.  But if the only justification here is that laywers and judges say "nuh-huh", I'll only keep in line if the situation is minor enough that it's not worth making trouble for myself.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
I don't see it unethical for them to do it in general. I do see it unethical for them to make a business out of something where they put in little creative input and are almost solely reaping the benefits of somebody else's. It's not just that one cartridge, they have a slew of similar ones for sale, and for far higher markups than reasonable material+time costs would dictate. I'm for open sharing more so than many on this board, but not when a third party gets to make money off of it.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
I never knew it had new levels, I just thought Vs. Super Mario Brothers was a two-screen, competitive version of Super Mario Brothers. I wonder why Nintendo doesn't want to re-release this version on anything... it seems like it would have been perfect to include in the 25 Anniversary package.

I wouldn't buy a reproduction for several reasons, including what MegaByte talked about, but at least this one doesn't destroy legit copies of games to make it. That's what bugged me the most about reproductions.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »
The new levels aren't exactly new, so you're not missing a lot. They're slightly modified versions of levels taken from SMB1 and SMB2J.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »
I could be completely wrong, but I believe the game has some levels that are exclusive to it... but yeah, it's mostly a remix of SMB1 and SMB2j levels, made harder.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
Actually, it was the other way around. Many of the later stages started in Vs. Super Mario Bros. and were later included in Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. But yeah, the game was more difficult since it was a arcade game and thus designed to suck quarters out of you. They did stuff like removing 1-ups and other items, making platforms shorter, etc.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
I could be completely wrong, but I believe the game has some levels that are exclusive to it... but yeah, it's mostly a remix of SMB1 and SMB2j levels, made harder.
Nope.
Actually, it was the other way around. Many of the later stages started in Vs. Super Mario Bros. and were later included in Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.
It's not actually clear which came first; probably they were developed concurrently, but if you know of more specific information, I'd love to hear.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 08:31:03 PM »
I don't. I guess it's possible they were developed at the same time since they did come out in the same year.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 05:49:22 AM »

Another thing someone could do is make a vow that if Nintendo ever releases a similar product that they would buy it even if they already bought this. That way Nintendo would get the money if they ever bothered, but at the same time the person wouldn't have to feel guilty because they know they would buy it if Nintendo would ever offer it but since Nintendo don't then this would have to make do.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:51:44 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 07:14:30 AM »
Arcade by my house has this game

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »

Yeah. :D

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:38:21 PM »
w00t!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »
that was actually how I first experienced Super Mario Bros. so I always figured it was an arcade game first.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »
It's not actually clear which came first; probably they were developed concurrently, but if you know of more specific information, I'd love to hear.

After playing the game, I'm inclined to think "Lost Levels" was the second of the two titles.

This is just a guess, but it seems odd that the updated sprites, the new enemies, the poison mushroom power up, nor any of the *new* things added to SMB2j appear in Vs.  Considering the point of Vs. was to make it harder and get people to keep dropping quarters in it, it seems odd that things like the poison mushroom or red Piranha plants didn't make it in the game.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 11:14:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure VS. Super Mario Bros was released first, then SMB2J was based off of it as well.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA