Author Topic: Stop Going to GameStop  (Read 27654 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Stop Going to GameStop
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2011, 08:05:38 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what the car analogy means...
I've heard the argument comparing used games to used cars, namely that car manufacturers don't make money on used car sales. While that's true, it's not the same thing. People do not typically buy and trade cars on a whim. A new car sale today likely won't be a used car sale until a few years down the line (if ever, obviously). That's not really hurting the car company's bottom line. A new game sale today can potentially be a used game tomorrow or even the same day and a used game is pretty much the same exact game assuming the original owner isn't a jackass who somehow scratched the thing to all hell. Who would buy that anyway? Most stores wouldn't accept the trade to begin with. The lines are further blurred since Gamestop started removing new games from their cases. Now, there's almost no difference. What makes it new if it's not sealed? Gamestop's word? **** you, Gamestop.

Anyway, the reason the used car comparison doesn't work is because games are easily transferable commodities that can be bought, traded and resold, rinse repeat with relative ease. A used car is thousands of dollars less and they degrade after time and parts need to be replaced etc. A used game is like $5 less and it's pretty much the same product. That's quite a smaller pill to swallow. They're 2 very different products with very different circumstances. That's why I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with game companies charging for an online pass on used games. At the same time, there's a chance for game companies to use that as an excuse to start charging for things like online passes across the board, used or new. I wouldn't agree with that. That's why I opposed Day 1 DLC and unlock codes.
As annoying as that may be, its certainly better than how things are with Metroid: Other M where the game shipped with a game killing bug which Nintendo has not patched nor will it ever patch. In a perfect world games would ship bug free, but that doesn't always happen, and if it doesn't happen then I would rather those issues get fixed with a patch instead of just having the game left like a piece of **** forever.
I believe Twilight Princess had a similar bug which is unfortunate, but......... MAKE THE GAME RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! Super Mario Club is one of the most well-regarded debug teams in the world. I remember when Nintendo games didn't really have these game breaking errors. Sure, there were bugs, but nothing that forced players to restart the entire game. How Nintendo allowed this to happen twice in a single generation is beyond me.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2011, 08:18:21 PM »
Now that Gamestop owns Impulse, I wonder if they'll find a way to sell used game downloads.  I have an account thanks to the GalCiv 2 expansions, but now I don't feel bad about forgetting it exists in favor of Steam anymore, since now I'm snubbing a crappy company instead of a great company, i.e. Stardock.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2011, 03:53:17 AM »
@ Adrock

The only reason why I have little sympathy for game makers when it comes to used games is that the games that fall most victim to the used market are the games whose value is inherently to be fleeting.

When a new Madden comes out each year, when a new rhythm game or war shooter comes out every 6 months, a lot of people logically conclude that it is not worth plunking down $60 every time.  It just makes more fiscal sense to trade in last season's version for the new one.

However, developers who aim to craft truly lasting quality? Those are the games people keep - problem solved.

Obviously, there are exceptions and shades of gray ... but speaking generally, that's my philosophy.  And don't worry that I'm just trying to justify my own practices ... this generation I've only purchased one used game (because there were no new copies at the moment) and traded in one game (Wii Fit because we got Wii Fit Plus =P )

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »
Instead of releasing a new Madden every year they should release one and then give it roster changes and other addons for a few years until the engine is more or less obsolete and then release a new version and then continue supporting that until that gets obsolete and so on... People shouldn't have to pay $60 every year for a roster change when they could easily do that with a patch or DLC.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Instead of releasing a new Madden every year they should release one and then give it roster changes and other addons for a few years until the engine is more or less obsolete and then release a new version and then continue supporting that until that gets obsolete and so on... People shouldn't have to pay $60 every year for a roster change when they could easily do that with a patch or DLC.
So release a Madden Base game for all intents and purposes and DLC the rest.  Like World of Warcaft or anyother MMORPG.  That be cool but, they still cost you $60.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2011, 02:16:22 PM »
@ Chozo Ghost / Ceric

Yes and yes!

That would be a wonderful use of DLC! I've been thinking that about the Madden games for years.  Especially since each game is essentially a roster update ... something you can download during the season of the retail game.

$60 game... say ... $15 each subsequent year for the roster update? Seems fair to me!

... unfortunately, the green-eyed monster currently does not allow for such a model =\

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
@ Chozo Ghost / Ceric

Yes and yes!

That would be a wonderful use of DLC! I've been thinking that about the Madden games for years.  Especially since each game is essentially a roster update ... something you can download during the season of the retail game.

$60 game... say ... $15 each subsequent year for the roster update? Seems fair to me!

... unfortunately, the green-eyed monster currently does not allow for such a model =\
No competition.  You can charge what you want when you have an exclusive contract.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »
@ Ceric

Yea... pretty sad. =\

Offline ProGamer89

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »
late to the convoy, but I feel there are alot of valid points... In any situation there are two sides, we have seller/developer vs.consumer. and when we look at it we have to take both points into consideration meaning companies want to make money and consumers want to save money so to make these equal out first consumers need to be more active in their lives almost like voting for presidents. like it was mentioned before we get what we ask.for and If we Don ask for better.customer service or better reasonable pricing to the people who can actually do something "not an online blog forum' then they can.give us whatever they feel is fair. Another thing to.consider is just like clothing retail they offer employees perks like discounts on merchandise to give back, they may not be able to offer a 401k but they let gs employees try used games. and they do this because nor only are the employees employees but maybe customers and they see the ends and outs, so while employees get dicked as employees they do to as consumers/customers= shitty attitudes... Gs could be better in areas but you have realize those employees are actually one of us just with that job, so you go there and it's a dummy working hs a local dummy maybe even goes to or went to the same.school you do or did. Its not gamestop global that deals with each and every store it's the stores individualaly, like all the owner does is buy the rights to sell video games under the gamestop name but it's the individual owners/managers/employees who call the shots on things like displays & if they ask if you want to preorder anything a million times... just like if I bought into McDonald's I can choose if my store does the the dollar menu or not, it has to do with how much money I have to put into it and where it's located.. so if we want better employees we have start at home training this new 2013 generation of youths to actually give a **** about things they do or are paid to.do. But if you don't like the employees attitude that's when you "get the manager" or whoever is above involved making good service a demand but instead we walk out and write forums complaining to "I'm not listening or the getting done God's "... Gs I think personally yea things to be improved upon but can you find stores like gs anywhere no, and you have to take into consideration location Meany decent to rich area or ghetto the community is what brings the certain prices to quality of employees, you go to a ghetto and your local hair hated female is working you going get ghetto employees..And with this DLC it's about improving on what is already great l, that's considering if the main game is great and you have to factor in release dates of main games etc. like wrestling game including wwe 2k14 has major release of characters plus probably more DLC only because if they gave you everything at once the games would one be traded in more quickly and interests would go down, & consider one person buys a game with every include & tells 20 ppl ain't worth 60 bucks or you give them half your total design making them having to buy the game for themselves to see the total vision... companies have to make just as much money as consumers want to save.. so the way to do this is for consumers to get more involved
.and some areas are more profitable so they can continuously or periodically offer deals & discounts some can't l.... And with this DLC

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2013, 04:56:56 AM »
I go to GameStop every time I'm at my parents's place and need PSN cards and the like. I'm not too fond of them either, but they're the only game shop reachable in a few minutes. Usually, I go to XGames (which is sort of like GameStop, but better... also, old games tend to be more expensive, but they'll take your Intellivision for a good price worth its value (yeah really. They do.)

Though I try to order from Austria or Great Britain... because box arts