Author Topic: My Thoughts: Two Wii U Controllers at Once Possible?  (Read 25944 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Re: My Thoughts: Two Wii U Controllers at Once Possible?
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2011, 11:11:46 PM »
Nintendo may even face lawsuits from people getting hurt fighting for control over it.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, this is complete fucking nonsense.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2011, 01:35:18 AM »
The WiiU controller isn't going to use Bluetooth, for video, it doesn't remotely provide enough bandwidth even with the newest revision that piggybacks on 802.11. 802.11g could provide more bandwidth with 802.11n matching 100base ethernet cable although in practice as far as I have seen, not even close, due to the environment.

But we will have to wait and see to find out the exact bottle neck it's facing.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Dozy Boy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2011, 04:16:55 AM »
One controller. One player.

Nintendo Wii U®. Half the multiplayer of a Magnavox Odyssey!

Wii U® : Go play 'Wii U' self!™

In all seriousness, leading up to the E3 press conference, the one idea I could think of for a 'tablet gamepad' was the final realization of Miyamoto's decade long dream for "connectivity," the private/public gameplay model with multiple player private screens plus the TV. The notion that the final realization of this is "built in" but impossible... it somehow depresses me even beyond the issue itself. I just almost can't accept a punchline that cruel and that long in the making.

(edit: I realize there are numerous multiplayer options with Wiimotes, classics, 3DS, etc. But that's what they were calling asymmetric gaming. Hardly universally applicable.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:35:11 AM by Dozy Boy »
zzz...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2011, 04:23:54 AM »
Okay, here is the definitive answer from Miyamoto himself:

Q: Will players use two touchscreen controllers or will they use just one new controller and the original Wii controls with the new console?

A: Our basic premise is that you can use one with a system. If we got to an idea of having multiple (controllers) it might be just more convenient for people to use their Nintendo 3DS and have a way to connect that.

That being said, we are doing research about if someone brings their controller to their friends house and they want to play together on Wii U to whether or not something like that would be possible.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/gaming/nintendos-shigeru-miyamoto-explains-the-new-wii-u/story-e6frfrt9-1226071923070#ixzz1OlVEeIO5

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2011, 04:33:40 AM »
I still don't see how Nintendo comes up with the idea for this uScreen controller and doesn't immediately think at minimum 2 player local multi.

Especially after having talked with EA and Take 2 (football and basketball).

We on the NWR forums alone have had so many ideas for 4 touch screen controllers (no split screen multi; everyone has their own screen) that it just baffles me that Nintendo apparently never even thought of it until recently.

It would work beautifully for Mario Kart, multiplayer Pokemon Snap, 4 swords, NSMB, Starfox and countless other 3rd party games that it just doesn't make sense to only have 1 per console.

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2011, 04:43:16 AM »
Oo! Ooo! How about... how about... Nintendo pushes the hardware just to the point of allowing 2 of the new controllers. Get the hardware to do at least that. Then if people connect 3 or 4 in total, reduce the resolution on the screens to compensate. Like, if you connect 3, it drops the quality of all the feeds a bit, so that they're not as pretty as they should be, but still pretty good. Then, if you connect 4, you can really notice the drop, but all the things you need to be able to do with it can still be done. Just make sure the text is readable, etc.

They.......... would never do this, would they......?.......
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:07:02 AM by Dozy Boy »
zzz...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2011, 05:29:19 AM »
I expect if you want 4 screens, 3 of those will be 3ds screens
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »
Yeah, I expect that's true, too. But a 3DS would be more expensive than a uScreen pad. Sigh... I'll just try to wait for official details... Time to, um, wait for next E3.

One thing, though. If it's truly a single pad thing, then Nintendo's online had. better. be. *perfect*. Because that's where third-party multiplayer will be invariably pushed towards. It needs to be as robust as the best of this current generation, and it needs to be simple enough for Nintendo's audience. I've always thought it was increasingly important for N to get online right eventually, but now, with this controller ordeal, 3rd parties will demand competent online interactions.
zzz...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »
Miyamoto's explanation doesn't make any sense and it's typical Nintendo circular reasoning. How is gathering over $500 worth of hardware for local multiplayer on WiiU more convenient? Or is he suggesting that the WiiU mutliplayer title requiring 2 or more tablet controllers just be made for 3DS instead? Either way, that's a total logic fail. /never-ending facepalm

One thing Miyamoto didn't really clear up was whether WiiU hardware as it currently stands can even support more than 1 tablet controller without latency issues. In that case, I wonder if Nintendo knowingly chose to employ lesser hardware thinking that 1 tablet controller per console is something people would have no qualms about. That does sound like something Nintendo would do. Deliberate or not, it's silly that they even thought this was acceptable and it's even sillier that they think using a 3DS is viable or close to the same thing. It doesn't have a right analog stick. 1st person shooter fail.

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2011, 10:02:13 AM »
Actually, assuming that someone didn't have a 3DS already it would be over $750 to get 4-player out of three 3DS's.

But they've presumably got over a year to fix this. I hope developers, gamers, websites, magazines and all of their dogs raise hell about it. I hope the stock price drop helps convince. Whatever it takes.

I for one was hugely impressed by everything I saw up until this revelation. I love the controller. I love the concepts. I love the graphical detail and the supposed publisher backing. But now, even if I want to, I can't even get excited about that stuff. This is just that blinding.

(But I'm 30, why am I so obsessed with something like this?!)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:06:29 AM by Dozy Boy »
zzz...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2011, 10:18:41 AM »
Nintendo may even face lawsuits from people getting hurt fighting for control over it.
lol
Here in US of A that has a large likability of happening.  People don't want to take responsibilities for themselves and want a Pay Day but, mostly lawyers need something to do and Class Action are very lucrative to lawyers, no one else gets anything from it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »
@Dozy Boy - Well, if you want to be a stickler for details, $750 is still "over $500" like I suggested so you didn't actually correct my statement, you just made it more specific. Also, the question posed to Miyamoto was whether 2 tablet controllers could be used and with tax 2 3DS'sesses would be "over $500". I live in NJ and most states have sales tax so that was mainly what I was getting at. Additionally, throughout this thread, a few of us have stated that we would be happy if WiiU was capable of supporting at least 2 tablet controllers at one time. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »
At this point, I would be happy with 2, too, no doubt.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:26:12 AM by Dozy Boy »
zzz...

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:35 AM »
lol
Here in US of A that has a large likability of happening.  People don't want to take responsibilities for themselves and want a Pay Day but, mostly lawyers need something to do and Class Action are very lucrative to lawyers, no one else gets anything from it.

Please show me a precedent of a lawsuit against a company on the grounds that their product is so popular that kids fight over it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
The player is the minimum acceptable.

but a Wuu (~$300+)
and a 3DS ($250)
= $500+ for just a 2 player with a screen

Problem is that the 3DS lacks the 2nd analog stick and 2 shoulder buttons.
It may still work, but it's not ideal and much more expensive.

I would guess that I could buy 3 more uScreens for about the same cost as a single 3DS
($80 x3 = $240), SO I would much prefer a multi uScreen option anyway.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »
The Sad part is NINTENDO had all these ideas with GCN-GBA Connectivity.  They SAW why it failed.  I can't believe that they didn't original plan for 4 uMotes but didn't find Tech to Pursue it that didn't cost to Much but, they Needed something NOW to combat the 360/PS3 and they had backed themselves into a corner of not being able to release a new system with a CCPro/Wavebird style controller and Live better Online without adding something.  This whole system sounds like something that if it could have been would have been baked for another generation but it can't.  Nintendo knows this. 

They already mistepped with the 3DS pricing it at $250 because the Vita is being Priced at $250 and the gaming and non-gaming world is seeing that as a steal because of the tech it has and comparison to a smart phone.  The console needs to emphasize its role as the at home local multi king. 

Mark my words if consoles keep wanting to be single player experiences then next gen we won't have consoles.  We will have all in one Portable uMote style devices that will stream vy a Wireless adapter or cradle to our TVs and talk wirelessly to all the different accessories.  If I was Sony THAT would be the PS4.

lol
Please show me a precedent of a lawsuit against a company on the grounds that their product is so popular that kids fight over it.
All the Wiimote lawsuits of controllers being launched from kids hands.  Some of those are fighting based.
We have the McD's Happy Meal, Hot Coffee, and Pickle lawsuits for goodness sakes.
Do I think it will go anywhere probably not but I do thing someone would try it and it would happen.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:47:20 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »
All the Wiimote lawsuits of controllers being launched from kids hands. Some of those are fighting based.

Which ones? Regardless, the Wiimote lawsuits were based on the wrist straps not being strong enough. That doesn't apply to the uPad. Kids fight over jillions of toys, all day every day, and I have never heard of a lawsuit resulting from it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2011, 10:54:12 AM »
I've noticed that BlackNMild2k1 and I have been saying basically the same thing lately. I'm beginning to think he's (my less attractive and charming) doppleganger (who posts more gifs). This is weird. Stop trying to steal my identity, you fraud.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
But they've presumably got over a year to fix this. I hope developers, gamers, websites, magazines and all of their dogs raise hell about it. I hope the stock price drop helps convince. Whatever it takes.

The feedback from gamers is going to be largely negative to the one controller set up, so hopefully that is enough to convince Nintendo to do 2. Hey, if Sony could ditch those ridiculous boomerang controllers, Nintendo can give us at least two for the WiiU.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »

The feedback from gamers is going to be largely negative to the one controller set up, so hopefully that is enough to convince Nintendo to do 2. Hey, if Sony could ditch those ridiculous boomerang controllers, Nintendo can give us at least two for the WiiU.
I liked the Boomerang.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »
I've noticed that BlackNMild2k1 and I have been saying basically the same thing lately. I'm beginning to think he's (my much more attractive and charming) doppleganger (who posts more gifs). This is weird. Get out of my head, you freak!

I was actually correcting you about the needing 2 3DS' to play 2 player on Wuu

And, I'm pretty sure that everything you think I am saying after you I've probably already said in another thread before you. So that means that you have been copying me!!!

~All my post are subliminal~
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:06:47 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
I still don't see how Nintendo comes up with the idea for this uScreen controller and doesn't immediately think at minimum 2 player local multi.

If this was any other company I would be surprised.  It seems like such an obvious thing to at least think of and yet we suggest it and their response is "Hey! I never thought of that!"  But because it's Nintendo I'm not surprised.  Nintendo comes across as a very isolated company.  Probably all the higher ups think the same way and outside ideas rarely penetrate their walls.  Thus they miss obvious stuff.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
If this was any other company I would be surprised.

But Nintendo has always been a huge supporter of local multiplayer. They were the first to introduce 4 standard controller ports on a system with the N64, and they've made games like the Mario Party series, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, and so on which revolve heavily on local multiplayer. You can play these games in single player, but that's not where these games shine. They've always been about local multiplayer. This move by Nintendo is surprising and you should be surprised by it too, because it is a 180 turn from what they've always done in the past.

Nintendo comes across as a very isolated company.

But doesn't being isolated mean that you get in set in your ways and don't change? This is a change. Losing local multiplayer is a BIG change. Its just not a change for the better.

Maybe what happened is this is finally the console where Nintendo goes online in a significant way so maybe their thinking was that since they have now developed a state of the art online system, they no longer need to worry about local multiplayer. We've been asking for online like the competition has had for years, and now that its finally being added we're losing something which we've always taken for granted in a gaming system.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »
@Chozo - I don't think that's the case. We keep seeing up to 5 people playing WiiU, one with the tablet controller and 4 with Wii remotes. They're clearly pushing local multiplayer. If Nintendo sticks with the single tablet controller per console route, it will be seen as a major oversight by everyone but Nintendo. It's literally inexcusable.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »
@Chozo - I don't think that's the case. We keep seeing up to 5 people playing WiiU, one with the tablet controller and 4 with Wii remotes. They're clearly pushing local multiplayer. If Nintendo sticks with the single tablet controller per console route, it will be seen as a major oversight by everyone but Nintendo. It's literally inexcusable.

There actually is method to (what at least on the surface may appear to be) their madness:

As I tried to explain even before the unveiling, because the Wii was was an overwhelming success, and since the multiplayer model (party-type games) was the main source of that success, it made the most sense not to significantly change it.

The thing they needed to address this time around was the lack of serious single-player experiences from third parties, who instead flocked to Sony's and Microsoft's condoles since their traditional controllers didn't force them to make special accommodations for each game, and their HD capabilities meant they wouldn't have to take the extra effort having squeeze more from less visual-wise.

Even though Nintendo found ways to make the uTab appeal to the casual crowd as well, the overall concept seems focused around single player experiences. Since it's far more practical to gather four players in front of a TV for short group sessions than for a single person for several hours, a tablet that can stream away from a TV makes the most sense for that purpose. Nintendo even acknowledged this with the name:

Wii "We" (plural)-- the multiplayer focus
   +
U "You" (singular)-- the single player focus

If I had to guess, I'd say Nintendo's official names for the hardware included in the box will be the following: 1 "U Tablet", 1 "Wii Remote", and the "Wii U console" (as it will be supporting the two controllers).

Focusing multiplayer to use more traditional controllers with buttons and dual analog wouldn't have been practical (plus, I'm not even sure the technology for four-screen streaming is even feasible yet).

Don't get too bent out of shape about it. Even though it seems ridiculous now, people said the same thing when they first revealed name "Wii" five years ago. Just like you, those people were not only looking at it from a hardcore gamer's perspective, but also with the preconceived notion of the name "Revolution"... And look how badly it hurt Nintendo in the end (sarcasm).

Mark my words, this is the exact same situation-- Five years from now you'll barely remember ever being bothered by it...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:57:57 PM by Bman87301 »