Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 413488 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 (Orbis) Rumor/Speculation
« Reply #550 on: November 27, 2012, 02:04:01 AM »
Wii U is far more powerful than Xbox 360, not "barely".

According to NeoGAF, the CPU is slower than the Xbox 360's (less threads per core). That's the Wii U's only weakness. Everything else is great, especially the 2 GB of RAM and the large disc capacity (22 GB).
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 27, 2012, 04:50:51 AM »
According to NeoGAF, the CPU is slower than the Xbox 360's (less threads per core). That's the Wii U's only weakness. Everything else is great, especially the 2 GB of RAM and the large disc capacity (22 GB).
So this NeoGAF guy, what's his source?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 27, 2012, 07:34:35 AM »
Depends on who tendoboy is referring to, but he's allergic to posting actual links to info. SHARE WITH THE REST OF THE CLASS, TENDOBOY!! :)

In all seriousness, there are a few devs and just people who know people on neogaf. Ideaman is known to have actual info there. I only started lurking neogaf recently so I don't remember all of their names.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 30, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
Remember this post?

Sony should reinvent Move to be more of a detachable controller halves so that the standard controller doubles as the move remote and nunchuck.

maybe a blending of the detachable controller halves and that wiimote 2.0 concept I came up with before Wii U reveal 1+ years ago.
Take the split controller concept:

and merge with the idea of Move (add the track-able lights), but not those loli-pops, more like my idea which uses LED strips.

to create a new dual purposed controller that does both, without alienating either.

Well, it seems like someone was listening

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-30-sonys-break-apart-pad-idea-returns-this-time-with-move-bobbles

took my exact idea.... I should have patented it.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 30, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
That's a really good idea, actually.  I think Sony's biggest problem with the Move was that it wasn't an out of the box experience.  If they include a controller like that bundled with the system, it'll be a core option of the system for everyone that owns it.

It may look silly with the two lollipops, but move coming with every system sold would definitely increase the possibility of developers utilizing it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:52:58 AM by lolmonade »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: December 01, 2012, 12:14:33 AM »
Couldn't they do it without the bubbles somehow? Or at least something smaller?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 01, 2012, 12:38:25 PM »
Looks hilariously stupid. But practical.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 01, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »
Looks akward to use.

Rather just have this with some detachable middle part.

So you guys think the PS4 is going to end up launching next year. I mean Sony has quite a big line up for the PS3 next year.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
God of War: Ascension
The Last of Us
Beyond: Two Souls
The Last Guardian (lol)
Puppeteer
Until Dawn

As well as some PSN stuff which really shouldn't factor seeing as it should be cross compatiable with next gen.

I'm also wondering what the PS4 means for crossplay with the vita. It makes sense for an older system like the PS3 where you want to promote both. But at a launch of a new system you want to push the new Next Gen exclusive IPs.

With that I'm intrested in what sony plans to do for new IP.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #558 on: December 01, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »
Sony won't launch until Microsoft does (in NA/EU).

Microsoft's not launching until 2014.

Do the math.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #559 on: December 01, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
Sony won't launch until Microsoft does (in NA/EU).

Microsoft's not launching until 2014.

Do the math.

All the recent rumors say Microsoft will launch by the end of 2013.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 01, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »
I dunno man. Beyond one rumor I've heard everything is pretty much pointing too a next year release for the 720.

This year's E3 had to pretty indicative of what's coming. Look at the annoucments from first party stuff microsoft had this E3.

Halo 4 (out)
Forza Horizon (out)
Fable the Journey (out)
Nike+ kinect (out)
Dance central 3 (out)

Usually games are shown at E3 even though they won't hit the fall of the next year. Microsoft didn't show any of that. The three other spotlight first party titles they showed (Ascend, Matter, Lococycle) are all xbla and are set for a spring release.

Development news on ryse has gone silent with the expections of it losing kinect and rumored to have gone next gen.

So far the only real big content microsoft has for next year are gears of war judgement and Halo 4: spartan ops season 2 (if that counts).

Most of microsoft's first party development are confrimed to be working on next genration content.

Activsion has implied that a new console is launching next year.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/11/09/activision-imply-only-one-next-gen-console-is-out-next-year-but-which-one/

Bloomblerg reportedon anew xbox being launched.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3708146/microsofts-next-generation-xbox-2013-holidays-bloomberg

As well the verge reported on microsoft launching an xbox TV product next year along side the proper 720.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3674802/xbox-tv-set-top-box-casual-gaming-streaming-2013

It could fall into 2013 but I'm pretty sure they want what they apple, and google all had to an extent this year.  They want the next generation of the surface, the surface phone, the next xbox, and the windows blue updates to hit pretty close to each other.

I wonder if Sony will add something more user friendly if they decide to revamp home for its next console. It would be cool to see sackboy and his world become the basis for home. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 01, 2012, 06:40:43 PM »
I'll believe it when I see it. Microsoft has said nothing about Durango and their biggest IP (Halo) released this year. I wonder what would make that launch worthwhile. Same with Sony. They've also said nothing about Orbis and their 2 biggest teams are releasing PS3 titles in early-mid 2013.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 01, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »
I'm not sure why people assume that one needs to have a big title or established IP at launch. If anything that's the time to have new IP at the forefront. We all know that there will be a Halo, Zelda, and Resistance down the line, but at launch is where the new IP should be showcased.

Halo 5 is at least at 2015 game at best. Other than more Spartan Ops, we might see another Halo side game in 2014 (but will probably be download only)

Microsoft Studios 360 launch titles
Kameo: Power of the elements
Perfect Dark Zero
Project Gotham Racing 3

Sony Computer Entertainment PS3 launch titles

Genji: Days of the blade
Resistance: Fall of Men

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 01, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »
Needs? No. Is beneficial? Certainly.

A great new IP works, but why wouldn't a company want to launch with a proven system seller? Based on releases, neither Sony nor Microsoft will have titles ready from their best teams next year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 01, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »
Supply is limited at launch. you wouldn't want to limit the sales of a proven system seller by not having enough system available for it to sell.

Which is why you would launch with new IP to a content starved early-adoption crowd who are more likely to give a new IP a try.

Save the system seller for when there is a built-up audience ready and waiting for it's release.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 01, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
Why would you save a system seller for when you have an audience already? That's counterproductive as it defeats the purpose of it selling system. That big title makes it that much easier to continue selling out new shipments. The people who want that game or series will seek out consoles to play it.

I wouldn't have bought a Wii U without New Super Mario Bros. U because while Nintendo Land is a nice game, I sure as hell wouldn't have bought an entire console for it.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 01, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »
Well looking at the time table most should have launch games ready even if they are a little rushed.

Polyphony has probably gone next gen and vita at this point

SCE Japan is working on PSN and PS3 content. The Last Guardian might as well be a PS4 game at this point.

Naughty Dog has had a 2nd team working on the Last of US for two years now. Its safe to assume that the Uncharted 3 team is working on something new.

SuckerPunch is rumored to be working on a new IP.

SCE San Deigo is probably working on a next gen version of MLB for the season after the PS4 release.

SCE Santa Monica is finishing up the new God of War.

Sony Bend is prett much a handheld only studios now.

MediaMolecule is making Tearaway for Vita and a new IP.

SCE Cambridge is making Killzone Vita.

Guerilla Games is most likely working on the next gen killzone.

Evolution Studios is hopefully working on the next Wipeout. 

On the microsoft side of things.

343i just completed Halo 4. Now they're working on Halo 5 and Spartan ops alongside Halo 4 multi player.

Good Science Studios has become a support studio for back end stuff.

Turn 10 is probably in devlopment of Forza 5.

Twisted Pixel has two teams. One is working on lococycle, while the other's project hasn't been announced.

Lionhead Studios was hiring for a next gen MMO like game which is probably Fable IV.

Rare is working on at least three games. A kinect title, a core game, and a windows 8 game.

Microsoft studios london which just opened is working on windows 8 and windows phone.

Press play is working on either XBLA or windows 8/phone games, maybe even both.

Soho Productions are working on those kinect TV games.

Black Tusk Studios is working on microsoft's next big IP.  Rumored to be a horror fps powered by unreal 4.

Microsoft studios Victoria is still in its building stages.

Bigpark is probably working on something kinect related.

Ryse is still in devlopment and could be a launch title to showcase the lastest cry engine and Kinect 2.0 stuff.  Game has moved development studios (to the main crytek studio) and is rumored to be ditching heavy reliance on kinect.

Alan Wake 2 is in development by Remedy. I hear American Nightmare (haven't beat it yet) teases it as well there's an ARG style blog pretty much screaming lead up to a new Alan Wake game.

Ruffian Games are working on something and I remember someone on gaf who works their talking about proto typing something for microsoft.

I personally don't think you need a big well known series at launch for a new console.  There's a difference between a well known IP such as a mario or zelda or a hot new IP (like wii sports and Halo were once upon a time.

The problem is we don't think of something as a system seller until we have it in our hands in the first place.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 01, 2012, 11:55:34 PM »
But if you have a game that is likely to sell 5 million copies, but you only have 650k consoles at launch, why would you limit a potential 5 million seller to 650k and hope it has long legs as new systems get pushed to market over the next few months?

Instead you drop the new IP and let it get established with a growing console base, and then when you have your install base built up with plenty of extra consoles in the pipeline, you drop your system seller to keep the momentum going and push the system to all those that weren't early adopters to the limited launch supply..

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 02, 2012, 01:36:55 AM »
That would be true to a certain extent for a non-nintendo games. Non-nintendo games generally are very front loaded and by design encouraged to be this way due to a multiple of factors like perceived piracy, second hand sales, sequel plans and DLC. This means the big sellers would get choked by the limited consoles and increase the risk of a bomb if the word of mouth remotely goes bad.

Launch day is a very good time for new IPs because you now have a very hungry and captive audience who will buy just about anything just to have something to play. I would know, I brought Luigi's Mansion for the GC on lanch day. Had I known it was so short I wouldn't have brought it, at least not at that price since it was fun while it lasted.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 02, 2012, 08:11:23 AM »
But if you have a game that is likely to sell 5 million copies, but you only have 650k consoles at launch, why would you limit a potential 5 million seller to 650k and hope it has long legs as new systems get pushed to market over the next few months?
Can you really call a game a system seller if sales only trickle after the launch shipment? You don't hope it has long legs. A real system seller does have long legs. People won't stop wanting Halo games just because they can't get the console. They'll wait until they can get one.
Instead you drop the new IP and let it get established with a growing console base, and then when you have your install base built up with plenty of extra consoles in the pipeline, you drop your system seller to keep the momentum going and push the system to all those that weren't early adopters to the limited launch supply..
That's assuming it gets established. I'm not saying, "Avoid new IPs." I agree with your sentiment. They should be there at launch though I think having an established IP as well is beneficial. I never wouldn't have bought ZombiU if NSMBU wasn't also available, but ZombiU certainly made the entire purchase more worthwhile.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: December 02, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
Can you really call a game a system seller if sales only trickle after the launch shipment? You don't hope it has long legs. A real system seller does have long legs. People won't stop wanting Halo games just because they can't get the console. They'll wait until they can get one.

The Problem is, like was said before me, lots of Non-Nintendo games are VERY front loaded ans sell 60+% of their total in the first few weeks/month. If there aren't enough systems available for it to reach it's potential at launch, then it runs the risk of becoming old news as other new titles come out. It's best to just wait till the install base has enough room for the game to stretch it's legs at release.

You want that atomic bomb explosion, not the ether slow burn.

Announce the established game is coming, but release with the new IP.
it's a proven tactic. it works. and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 02, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
Launching with an established IP is a proven tactic as well. I know you said, "lots of Non-Nintendo games are VERY front loaded" and I don't disagree. My point is that that's not true of every title (hence "lots" not "every") and I think a Halo is one of those series with long legs.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. However, I have a question for you: who will make these new IPs for Sony and Microsoft if they were to launch next year? That's pretty much where this discussion began. Sony and Microsoft have many teams, but it sucks for them that 343 Industries, Naughty Dog, and Sony Santa Monica will likely not have titles ready for launch next year whether they're new or established. That's why I have doubts that either will launch in 2013. Well, I suppose Sony can delay The Last of Us and move development to Orbis (if they haven't already), but that sure would suck for me as a PS3 owner.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 02, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
Here's the problem with your assesment. The PS3 and 360 didn't launch with any established Ips. (Well the 360 had perfect dark zero)

Even factoring in a 2014 launch given previous time tables

It took four years between God of war 3 and Ascension. Four years for Halo 4 since starting development in 2009.

The Last of Us by the uncharted 2 team also took about four years.

Rare is probably working on a few games that will probably be rushed for a next year launch. (To be fair Rare only Co-developed Kinect sports 2 with BigPark).

Rare could have Kinect Sports 3 and something like a new Kameo.

Black Tusk Studio's IP is shaping up for a next year release as well.

Before the studio was closed the wipeout guys were supposed to be working on a next gen wipeout. A lot of people from the studio were moved to evolution so theirs hope left.

Then you have a slew of games that will probably also be on next gen consoles. (Star Wars 1313, Watchdogs, Rainbow Six the Patroits, Fortnite)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 18, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »

CVG Rumor: Sony to abandon DualShock design for PS4, unveiling PS4 in weeks

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/387287/cvg-sources-sony-to-abandon-dualshock-design-for-ps4/

A senior games studio source working on an upcoming Sony game says the new system's controller has undergone numerous iterations, few of which resemble the DualShock build that has become synonymous with PlayStation.

Experiments within Sony's R&D department are thought to have been extensive. Versions of the new PS4 pad include biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch screen, the development source claimed.

A second source, working in a separate part of the industry but still connected to Sony, said PlayStation engineers are "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita". This is likely a reference to the touch-screen capabilities of the PlayStation handheld, and a suggestion that Sony will tightly integrate its portable and home systems.

The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months.

Sony has declined to comment.

guessing where going to see something during the PlayStation event next month.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 18, 2013, 10:55:16 AM »
From what I've heard and seen of the Vita interface I like to keep my XMB.  Also I will believe they will change from the dualshock when its in my hands.  Remember the PS3 was suppose to have a different controller as well.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.