Author Topic: Episode 244: Party of Five  (Read 9231 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Episode 244: Party of Five
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:05:06 PM »

It's E3 preview time!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/26373

With a couple of weeks to go before the big E3 show and the debut of Nintendo's next console, Michael "TYP" Cole joins the RFN foursome to preview gaming's biggest event. But first, New Business! Greg scores a copy of the original Bangaioh for N64, and we also check in on his very first play-through of Final Fantasy 3/6. James has a few comments on Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, the 3DS strategy title that may not be as good as you've heard. Continuing on the Transcontintental Chrono Train Express, Lindy battles pink robots (possibly with the help of Yoshimi) and searches for the Sun Stone. TYP revisits Yoshi's Island and, with Greg's help, compares the SNES original to its GBA remake and DS sequel. Finally, Jonny shares a heartwarming anecdote of cooperating with our friend Syn4ptik in a game of portals.

With TYP on the show and soon celebrating his 10th visit to E3 (just short of Jonny's 11th), we had to take this opportunity to knock out the annual RFN E3 Preview. Greg takes over hosting to guide us through his own discussion notes, as we analyze and speculate on Nintendo's plans for the show. It's a huge moment for 3DS, which must move beyond the launch window blues and establish itself as a major platform. There may not be a great quantity of Wii games coming down the stream, but the new Zelda is sure to be a huge presence, and there may be some RPGs announced, too. Most exciting of all, we know that Project Cafe will be shown and playable at E3, and our panel of experts lays down bets on just what, and how much, will be revealed. Check back in just a couple of weeks to laugh at our ignorance and innocence!

Listener Mail will return next week, so be sure to send in your questions and comments about the show or any gaming topic -- this web form makes it easy. We'll also have the first part of RetroActive, focusing on the multiplayer side of Perfect Dark. It's available on both N64 and Xbox Live Arcade, and you can connect with other RFN fans at the official forum thread. Don't forget to leave your comments on the game there, because we'll read some of the best posts on the air!

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 244: Party of Five
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:39:10 PM »
My body is ready.

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »
Looking forward to finishing Co-op with you, Jonny!

Regarding the developer commentary in Portal 2: I love it but it is just too sparse.  There are a couple of instances of only one or two points in a fairly large area, and there are no saves allowed in commentary mode.  So you really need to have a good chunk of time set aside for what amounts to a modest amount of commentary.  The stuff that is there is great, though.

Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
Looking forward to finishing Co-op with you, Jonny!

Regarding the developer commentary in Portal 2: I love it but it is just too sparse.  There are a couple of instances of only one or two points in a fairly large area, and there are no saves allowed in commentary mode.  So you really need to have a good chunk of time set aside for what amounts to a modest amount of commentary.  The stuff that is there is great, though.
I agree with this.  The commentary where it is is great but they should let you play through and save with it on after you beat the game once and an option to have it just go on.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »
Heres a thought Jonny.

Kid Icarus is to 3DS

as

EARTHBOUND is to NEWii

Just imagine how excited people would be if Retro Studios is developing Earthbound on the next-gen system

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:00:21 PM »
Because it needs to be done:

Jonny - Neve Campbell
Lindy - Matthew Fox
James - Scott Wolf
Greg - Lacey Chabret
TYP - Jennifer Love Hewit

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:12 AM »
Mmmm... Lacey. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:55:46 AM »
May I just say that Greg is a real champion, not only for recording each show at obscene hours of the morning and editing every week, but also for sketching the notes for all the feature discussions. If I were you, I'd have mutinied by now.

I think the crew was right on the money with the 3DS predictions. With the eShop going live hours earlier, Nintendo should treat the 3DS portion of the show like Launch 2.0 - not in those explicit terms, of course, but obviously, the 3DS, despite breaking a few Day 1 sales records, isn't doing too well, and I think a large part of that can be attributed to people looking at the line-up and thinking "for $250, there's not really anything I'm excited for right now." That means that they won't waste time with graphs and charts like they did with the first E3 after the Wii's release; it needs to be all out games, games, games, in order to convince the sceptics that they want this new handheld and not the NGP, which is being shown off that same morning. And the fact that the eShop launch was seemingly pushed back so deliberately to the day before the conference indicates that it might get a little more than a fleeting mention.

As for the new console, considering that one of the few details Nintendo gave was that it would be playable at E3, it would be remiss of them to be stingy with what they show and what people can get their hands on. Otherwise, they would run the risk of underwhelming, as you discussed. So while I don't expect an enormous blow-out of information and game announcements, there has to be enough to see and play that people come away with a proper impression of the console, as opposed to coming away confused and unsure of what it's all about.

One thing I would find absolutely hilarious is if, after all the talk about the idea of a screen in the controller and all the rumours surrounding that, Nintendo show the console and the big new feature is something completely different.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 03:16:24 AM »
Duke Nukem Forever is coming out before Pikmin 3. Just think about how ridiculous that is. Let's hope Pikmin 3 comes out before StarCraft Ghost.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up about Goldeneye's price on Amazon!

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »
So they need to put highlights from the press conference on the E shop.  3D trailers all the way.  though I'm still gonna pimp my conspiracy theory you are gonna be able to stream the press conference on your 3DS form home just cause 2D trailers lack the pizazz of seeing it on the 3DS screen.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 05:40:36 PM »
Hating on Spartan: Total Warrior? That's unfortunate--I quite enjoyed that game. It can be a little repetitive, but slicing through hordes of baddies can be quite enjoyable, too. Of course, I didn't know anything about the developer behind it, or their history, so I went in without any real expectations. In fact, I think I will send in a listener mail about such a subject.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »
Spartan Total Warrior was the best 3D brawler released for the Gamecube.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:31:59 AM »
I'd go with Return of the King, by a long shot.

That, and Viewtiful Joe.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
Mystic Heroes.

Wait, what was the question?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:03 AM »
FF VI is my favorite of the old-school Square RPGs. 

There's one thing about Final Fantasy VI that I've never liked; the game encourages excessive grinding, especially since they tied learning new magic to a point system that is earned by defeating enemies.    This is especially true for the two Blue Mage -type characters in the game, you have hunt down a number of enemy-types to maximize their potential attacks.   

Also, I remember wishing that some sort of limit had been placed on the magic each character could learn.  If one were willing to work at it, they can basically give each character the same huge set of magic spells, including the most powerful spells among them.  I suppose that this would be breaking the game in a way, but it was still disappointing that you could choose to give the characters the same unlimited magical skill set.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 04:31:57 AM »
I would consider Viewtiful Joe 2D or or 2.5d

I had forgotten about Mystic Heroes. That's a hard game to find. I rented it once but that is the only place I ever saw it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 05:46:08 AM »
Back on the N64, for GE and PD I always played with right hand on analogue aim and left on D-pad movement. The a/b were pretty seldom used and were only a thumb flick away. It gave me the next best thing to dual analogue before dual analogue.

In down under and across the ditch it's "350+ US for a 3DS and hmm, not much going on here". An extra game might be nice, but it doesn't fix the inherent price disparity in not-America. I can wait and they aren't getting out of those warehouses.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
\The only reason I had to purchase the 3DS at launch was a fear that I wouldn't be able to procure one later in the year (say, around the holidays), but the launch lineup certainly wasn't strong enough to convince me to make the purchase.  A launch-window Mario Kart or Smash Brothers game would have made that difference.   I think that it's still conceivable that we could see Mario Kart sooner than later.

In a way, I think Nintendo's typical silence about coming software has hurt them in the area of 3DS sales.  Now more than ever, Nintendo needs to come out swinging with an emphasis on software because, really, even though I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Nintendo fan, I've become far more cynical about their software development and support of new systems than I was back in 2006.  To be honest, I've felt a little burned with the lack of online support, in general.  For example, I'm not even an Animal Crossing fan, but when I saw what they did (or rather, didn't do) with City Folk back in 2008, I think part of me died a little inside.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 02:42:53 PM »
All I'm gonna say is that I leant my 3DS to a guy at work about a month ago and I have no inkling to ask for it back at the moment. I was going to get the Legends demo when the eShop launched, but now that's not looking like it's going to happen, so meh. I'll wait until Kid Icarus.

That being said, I fully expect this E3 to be awesome for 3DS.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
I noticed quite a dislike for Steel Diver on this episode, and the last one with TYP. 

Am I the only one who loves this game?  I'm still on the last level, which is friggin hard, but still, I've been having a blast playing it.

Personally, I think Greg should really give it a try.  It seems more up his alley more than anyone else, given his affinity for side/vertical scrolling shooters.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »
I noticed quite a dislike for Steel Diver on this episode, and the last one with TYP. 

Am I the only one who loves this game?  I'm still on the last level, which is friggin hard, but still, I've been having a blast playing it.

Personally, I think Greg should really give it a try.  It seems more up his alley more than anyone else, given his affinity for side/vertical scrolling shooters.
But was it ever difficult enough that you thought about Sacrificing your First Born to get through?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
I liked Steel Diver...

It's not amazing, but it's a cool game.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »
I liked Steel Diver...

Didn't you talk about Steel Diver in one of the Newscast Episodes?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »
I liked Steel Diver...

Didn't you talk about Steel Diver in one of the Newscast Episodes?

No doubt! Though read my review for my more organized thoughts on it. There's something alluring about the game's setup that I like. The content feels lacking, though, and it's so slow paced.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"